GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Unplugging Battery Disables Blind Spot Monitor and Cross Traffic

aar1217

Passed Driver's Ed
Does anyone know why unplugging the batter disables these features and you need to clear the codes to get them working again? I installed the JB4 today (really like it!) so I unplugged the battery for an hour or so. Just annoying to clear the codes every time.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Does anyone know why unplugging the batter disables these features and you need to clear the codes to get them working again? I installed the JB4 today (really like it!) so I unplugged the battery for an hour or so. Just annoying to clear the codes every time.

Yes unplugging the battery will cause the assist options to turn off. It's stupid and you would think the the default choice would be to keep them turned on for safety. I don't know what codes would need to be cleared. I never have to clear any codes.

Last edited:

aar1217

Passed Driver's Ed
I guess I should have said faults and not codes. The car doesnt have any lights on the dash, but when I connected Carista there were several faults. Cleared those and everything is fine now.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I guess I should have said faults and not codes. The car doesnt have any lights on the dash, but when I connected Carista there were several faults. Cleared those and everything is fine now.
The faults , codes had nothing to do with the assist options. Did you read what codes Carista said there were?

aar1217

Passed Driver's Ed
There were 7 and one was for lane keep assist. I just cleared all of them and now the driver assist features work fine.

aar1217

Passed Driver's Ed
Since I have an iPhone (can’t get obd11) this is a great alternative for the price. I think the obd plug is like $30 and then a week use of the Carista software is $10 (year is $30 I think).

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Since I have an iPhone (can’t get obd11) this is a great alternative for the price. I think the obd plug is like $30 and then a week use of the Carista software is $10 (year is $30 I think).

Thanks. I already have an OBD dongle so I guess I'll try it out. Just make the changes I want for $10. Not bad.

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 3Dr GTi DSG CSG
Was thinking about getting Carista how do you like it?
Carista is pretty good but nowhere as comprehensive as VCDS or obd11, I was lucky enough to get carista a few years ago when it was a one off cost of £9.99 total, I doubt I’d have bought it otherwise, i have VCDS but find carista is a good addition and can easily be used while away from home, ive found it sometimes mis-reports codes though, although it likes to pick up the code for TPMS (if it’s been triggered) and labels it as cam corellation sensor bank 1 - faulty, after confirming a couple of times now with VCDS this was incorrect I take what it reports with a pinch of salt until I can confirm it, overall I do like carista though but as said probably wouldn’t subscribe to it, the guys at carista constantly work on it though and regularly update with new features, it is growing and has a lot of potential.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Carista is pretty good but nowhere as comprehensive as VCDS or obd11, I was lucky enough to get carista a few years ago when it was a one off cost of £9.99 total, I doubt I’d have bought it otherwise, i have VCDS but find carista is a good addition and can easily be used while away from home, ive found it sometimes mis-reports codes though, although it likes to pick up the code for TPMS (if it’s been triggered) and labels it as cam corellation sensor bank 1 - faulty, after confirming a couple of times now with VCDS this was incorrect I take what it reports with a pinch of salt until I can confirm it, overall I do like carista though but as said probably wouldn’t subscribe to it, the guys at carista constantly work on it though and regularly update with new features, it is growing and has a lot of potential.

I don't have many changes to make so Carista would be fine for me. I'm switching to the Orange TPMS system.