GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Unleaded or Super Unleaded (UK)

Maka344

Ready to race!
Hello all, this is my first post. I have just bought a MK7 GTI 2014 just over one week ago, I have covered 1300 miles from new and wondered what fuel you guys use?

In the UK we can get Unleaded 95 Octane and 97/98/99 Super Unleaded, the fuel cap says 95 minimum.

I have treated the car to nothing but Shell V-Power and Tesco momentum 99 when I couldn't fine a Shell in Cornwall. Are there any benefits to running this type of fuel or am I fine to stick to standard 95 Octane Unleaded?

Don't care about top end performance as I live and drive mostly in Central London where getting about 30-40mph is rather difficult.

thanks

mickR

Ready to race!
I have used higher octane unleaded since it first came out. Have done my own comparisons and I do get better MPG. I currently use Shell V Power (99 RON) in my cars and bikes, pay more, but worth it in long run and also get a little bit in return with double Shell points on V Power.

Avanti

Go Kart Champion
The car can run on 95 minimum, I use 98 in mine, not to do with top end, I find the low end performance better with 98 than with 95.

BlueBullet

Ready to race!
Using shell v power I find the mpg is slightly more stable and possibly a small amount higher, also during the initial putting your foot down the engine is little more responsive ( less lag ). It is true for any car I have used it in. When my R arrives it will be shell v power only but if I'm truely honest my gti used mainly cheap morrisons fuel 90% time but stopped using completely now.

Maka344

Ready to race!
Thanks for the replies.

I guess I am looking to confirm that 95 is actually fine to use now and again. I just feel that the super stuff is more marketing.

I don't want to risk engine problems running 95 or oil consumption.

Avanti

Go Kart Champion
Thanks for the replies.

I guess I am looking to confirm that 95 is actually fine to use now and again. I just feel that the super stuff is more marketing.

I don't want to risk engine problems running 95 or oil consumption.

There is marketing, however a car with high compression and designed to use 98 will benefit, the timing can be changed on some to use 95, a car designed to run on 95 will not benefit from using 98.
So if the filler cap cover has 98 (95) then ideally it runs on 98 but can use 95.

Maka344

Ready to race!
Great so is the MK7 have high compression and designed to run on 95 or 98?

The cap says min 95, that's all really.

mickR

Ready to race!
Here is the reply that I received from VW UK in February -

I was delighted to read you have purchased a Golf R. I can advise I have spoken with our Technical Support Team who has
confirmed the recommended minimum octane for your new Golf R is 98 RON. They would not recommend using a lower octane than what
has been advised by the factory.

They have advised if a lower octane fuel is used this will result in lower engine power output and may also produce engine
running or mechanical problems. If by using 97 or 95 RON fuel in your Golf R and this causes any consequential damage, your
vehicle's warranty will be affected.

Avanti

Go Kart Champion
Thanks Mick but that's a Golf R not a Golf GTI. I'm guessing that the same doesn't apply?

The same doesn't apply as such, you can use 95 minimum as stated on the filler cap, ideally you would be running 98. Try a tankful or two of 95 and see how you get on, when you do fill with 95 from 98 or 98 to 95, don't expect an instant change as you leave the forecourt, maybe over 50 miles before and difference may or may not be noticed.

BlueBullet

Ready to race!
If it says 98 in larger numbers or in bold and 95 in smaller writing etc then you should use 98 but if unavailable then 95 can be used.

Yes the golf r says 98 but can run 95 but it can affect warranty if 95 causes issues when 98 is recommended.

GolfPilot

Ready to race!
If the car is designed to run on 95, then using anything higher will not have any effect. It tells you that in the manual. You have to understand what octane number means. You can use a higher number, it'll just cost you more, but can't use a lower number or you'll get problems as the VW tech support team have said!

Here's a basic explanation I found on youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7sLqbkmUrrg

GP

BlueBullet

Ready to race!
If the car is designed to run on 95, then using anything higher will not have any effect. It tells you that in the manual. You have to understand what octane number means. You can use a higher number, it'll just cost you more, but can't use a lower number or you'll get problems as the VW tech support team have said!

Here's a basic explanation I found on youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7sLqbkmUrrg

GP

If you are referring to my post I'm purely stating to use recommended octane. So if they highlight an octane either in bold or out of two octones is in a larger case that is the recommended.