GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Unitronic tune

Queiffen

So I got the uni stage 1 tune and wanted to upgrade to the stage 1+ but it says it needs 93 octane but the highest octane level around where I live is 91, would having 91 instead of 93 really be that big of a deal?

JC_451

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Definitely not a good idea.

You can't hit the benchmarks required for 1+ with 91 octane. It'll run poor and you're begging to have something really bad happen.

8055WAGEN

Go Kart Champion
Send them an email / call and ask. My Uni IS20 says 93 on their website, but it also supports an ethanol blend.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
The Stage 1+ is a "+" b/c you get some extra power (timing) from using 93. If you have 91, the regular Stage 1 is for you. To be honest though, it's not like if you run 91 in a 93 tune you will blow up your car...just don't get full advantage of the extra timing advance available. Something I found on the subject when I was deep into this decision over a year ago.

Attachments

• 91_93.jpg
    91_93.jpg
    703.4 KB · Views: 108

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Use Torco octane booster. I've been using it for over 20K miles with no problems.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
You can also buy the Stage 1+ which gives you both the regular (91) Stage 1 file AND the 93 file. You can flash back and forth depending on your fuel situation.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Lol its fine. 93file on 91 will cause zero issues.

ive ran 87 oct on 93oct file for maybe 30k miles when i was going to school. Is38 car. Btw
Exactly.

odessa.filez

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GSW 1.8tsi auto
related to this, does running 93 on the 91 file have an advantage to running 91 on a 91 file?

same for apr?

tigeo

Autocross Champion
related to this, does running 93 on the 91 file have an advantage to running 91 on a 91 file?

same for apr?
The software will only allow so much timing advance and running 93 in a 91 tune, while certainly ok to do, shouldn't give you the same timing advance and power you can get out of a 93 tune running 93.

tigeo

Autocross Champion