GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Unitronic Stage 2 IS20 complete

tigeo

Autocross Champion
I finally took the plunge and upgraded my 2018 GSW S 4Mo DSG to the IS20 (used rev. L w/~5K I paid $350 for locally) with supporting Stage 2 ECU/TCU software from Unitronic as well as a Unitronic downpipe (picked up during the recent sale for 10% off so $864). I have ~21K on the odo and have been running Unitronic’s Stage 1+ tune as well as the Stage 1 TCU tune since ~3K miles/Jan ’19 with zero issues. I’m super stoked with the upgrade, it’s seriously fast (to me) and I’m seeing sustained peak boost numbers (via a tapped boost gauge) with this setup around ~22psi on 93 gas; I was ~17 psi on the Stage 1+/IS12 so about 5 more psi of boost. Looks to be sub-5 sec 0-60. Hoping this is a reliable setup for my DD! I had the gear installed as I just didn’t want to dick with it right now, they did a great job, and now I have some backup if something goes wrong at a highly-regarded local German shop. The downpipe adds a *little* more noise (mainly at cold start and under WOT..duh) but honestly, with the 4Mo exhaust, it’s nearly stock-sounding which is perfect for me. This car has surpassed all expectations for a car that was $20K new OTD.

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
I finally took the plunge and upgraded my 2018 GSW S 4Mo DSG to the IS20 (used rev. L w/~5K I paid $350 for locally) with supporting Stage 2 ECU/TCU software from Unitronic as well as a Unitronic downpipe (picked up during the recent sale for 10% off so $864). I have ~21K on the odo and have been running Unitronic’s Stage 1+ tune as well as the Stage 1 TCU tune since ~3K miles/Jan ’19 with zero issues. I’m super stoked with the upgrade, it’s seriously fast (to me) and I’m seeing sustained peak boost numbers (via a tapped boost gauge) with this setup around ~22psi on 93 gas; I was ~17 psi on the Stage 1+/IS12 so about 5 more psi of boost. Looks to be sub-5 sec 0-60. Hoping this is a reliable setup for my DD! I had the gear installed as I just didn’t want to dick with it right now, they did a great job, and now I have some backup if something goes wrong at a highly-regarded local German shop. The downpipe adds a *little* more noise (mainly at cold start and under WOT..duh) but honestly, with the 4Mo exhaust, it’s nearly stock-sounding which is perfect for me. This car has surpassed all expectations for a car that was $20K new OTD.
Yea the DP with the stock 4motion exhaust is real quiet after warm up. Uni tunes work well with JB4s and ethanol.

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
Can you elaborate on uni tunes and stacking with JB4? Hard to find clear answers. Thanks!
The JB4 can't control timing. Uni tunes run less boost, but more timing than tunes like APR which run high boost, low timing. Ethanol benefits most from additional timing. With a uni tune you have less boost, but the JB4 can control that.

dpmarc

Passed Driver's Ed
The JB4 can't control timing. Uni tunes run less boost, but more timing than tunes like APR which run high boost, low timing. Ethanol benefits most from additional timing. With a uni tune you have less boost, but the JB4 can control that.

Got it, so do you think I would feel a lot of difference stacking a jb4 on my Uni stage 1 tune? Is there a certain setting on the jb4 I need to run? Can I control how much boost on JB4? Do I need any other hardware to stack? Currently drop in filter/ intake hose and inlet pipe. Apologies for my unfamiliarity with the JB4, but your explanation makes sense. Any help is appreciated

Marc

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
Got it, so do you think I would feel a lot of difference stacking a jb4 on my Uni stage 1 tune? Is there a certain setting on the jb4 I need to run? Can I control how much boost on JB4? Do I need any other hardware to stack? Currently drop in filter/ intake hose and inlet pipe. Apologies for my unfamiliarity with the JB4, but your explanation makes sense. Any help is appreciated

Marc

You'd definitely feel a difference, but "a lot" is subjective. Let's just say you'd have "better genes" with a Uni tune. You're kinda ahead of the curve and it's up to what you do with it. The JB4 can run any boost profile you want it to run. You won't need additional hardware. The JB4 threads in this forum is pretty active, poke your head in there.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
It’s been about 1 mos/~2K miles on the IS20 upgrade. Still loving it! I know this is a long/TLDR post but some actually use these forums for researching and this kind of info would have been important to me so here you go.

IS20 + Unitronic Stage 2 IS20 tune. Really enjoying the extra power. I have logged a number of launches using Torque Pro and it looks like I can do 0-60 runs in the mid-4s (3.9-4.8 range). Sustained boost peaks at ~22psi. The tune feels very similar to the Stage 1+ with a strong boost onset. The spool is *a tiny bit* slower but hardly noticeable vs. the IS12. Controlling the surge you get from time to time depending on throttle/gear is easy by giving it gas and then easing off as the boost/acceleration starts so it doesn’t want to keep following that steep torque curve up. Drivability is great.

Unitronic Stage 2 DSG tune. The upgrade from Stage 1 to Stage 2 is noticeable. Based on Unitronic’s website, what I have equates to what is shown under the current model year Golf R DSG tunes. 2-step launch control (3500/3700 rpm controlled with the kick down switch). Tighter shifting/clamping. D and S shift maps appear the same as Stage 1 and I think they are fine – sure, I wish in S the 3-4 shift happened at a lower RPM and in D I wish it didn’t nearly skip 3 but overall, the tunes are very good and much better than stock.

Unitronic catted downpipe. It’s a touch louder than stock and you occasionally get a burble on lower speed shifts. It’s basically stock sounding with the stock 4Mo exhaust and I like it that way. You do get some smell when you get out after driving it with the racing/high-flow cat.

MPGs. Look to be about the same as Stage 1+ for cruising on the highway but of course I’m driving more aggressively around town so my overall mpgs have dropped I’m sure. My overall mpgs are ~24.5 with a 60/40 highway/city split over the last 20K miles (tuned) using Fuelly which is just a little lower than VW’s stated numbers if you do the math (22-29) which would put me at ~26mpg with my highway/city split percentages. If you tune your car your overall mpgs will drop slightly if you actually drive it…

Issues. I’ve had an overboost code/limp mode happen once. The shop that did the install/flash also mentioned they had this issue when they test drove it. Not sure. Have looked at the wastegate/done the adaptation using OBDEleven and it’s at 3.569v which should be just fine. I also have had a sporadic strange “boost dump” under WOT launches in first/second gears. Punch it, around 5K RPM or so the DV opens and dumps the boost, feels like the throttle shuts (which has to be why the DV vents)/really jerks you forward before it gets back on it. I have no boost leaks or DV issues…seems like an ECU safety kicking in under some unknown condition it doesn’t like. It’s not a traction issue. No CELs/codes. No clue but will continue to monitor and will log it at some point if I can repeat it.

8055WAGEN

Go Kart Champion
I preface this with the fact that I have a JB4 hooked up, but these issues show through whether I am on Map 0 pass through or an aggressive or mild Map 6.

I've had the overboost P0234 code dozens of times, and I cannot successfully log through VagCom or JB4 whenever it happens. As soon as I decide the issue has gone away, it'll come back again. Happens when I have been cruising at 70+ mph and then mash on the gas. I also have the Boost Dumps you describe, but not during launches. My launches are always clean, but I get them in the previously described highway conditions or when 100% throttle from a slow roll.

Now on to E30 .... oh baby get some E30 in your tank and start talking to George. Big gains up top.

Great post. I just purchased a 2019 Alltrack 6M and I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place on whether I should go with stage 1 or stage two (APR is my choice product). My fear is that stage 1 (245hp) will be fun but I will be itching for more in a few months. If I go stage 2 (297hp) then I will keep it simple and just swap up to the IS20 and keep the OEM DP. I would also imagine that the clutch will need to be upgraded in a year or so with stage 2. I am older so I am not looking to race anyone off the line but I certainly love to downshift and accelerate aggressively when passing shitty drivers or just feel like having fun. Looking for opinions between the two stages...

I have a 2003 4runner and the wife's 2009 Highlander which are both fine SUVs but I bought the alltrack because I've been itching for a manual after 15 years. With that said I needed a little more cargo space and wanted the all wheel drive so I definitely had to jump on the alltrack being the last year of production. Especially!! With the VE incentives going on right now. Sticker was 32 and I picked her up for 25. Can't beat that deal!! But now I want to have my cake and eat it too.

Sparky589

Drag Racing Champion
Great post. I just purchased a 2019 Alltrack 6M and I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place on whether I should go with stage 1 or stage two (APR is my choice product). My fear is that stage 1 (245hp) will be fun but I will be itching for more in a few months. If I go stage 2 (297hp) then I will keep it simple and just swap up to the IS20 and keep the OEM DP. I would also imagine that the clutch will need to be upgraded in a year or so with stage 2. I am older so I am not looking to race anyone off the line but I certainly love to downshift and accelerate aggressively when passing shitty drivers or just feel like having fun. Looking for opinions between the two stages...
Lord help me but I've had all three OEM turbos on my Golf at some point. I'd personally recommend most people to go with the Is20, it really is more than enough power to have your fun. Stage 1 is nice, but you're out of the power rather quickly, and in my opinion the broader torque curve makes for a more enjoyable experience with Is20. Is38 is a goddamn riot don't get me wrong, but based on what you say you're interested in I'd say stick with the '20

And absolutely plan on upgrading your clutch even with nothing more than a stage 1. OEM clutches are notoriously weak on mqb.

2013R

Drag Race Newbie
I have a pre-compressor restriction on my Unitronic stage 2 tune. I have a stock intake with afe dropin. My wastegate duty cycle on my 3rd gear pulls is aroudn 30-35%.

Looking for anyone that has the unitronic stage 2 setup without an intake, that can also compare their wastegate duty cycle on their runs.

oh damn... i posted in a golf thread...

tigeo

Autocross Champion
ive always wanted to buy a base VW of some sort and put double the turbo power on it.
Here's what an IS20, a DP, some intake mods, and software look like on an otherwise stock-looking base model AWD Golf Sportwagen. 2 words. Hurt. Feelings. This is what $25K all-in (less if you DIY) gets you...plus you can carry $hit.

8055WAGEN

Go Kart Champion
Here's what an IS20, a DP, some intake mods, and software look like on an otherwise stock-looking base model AWD Golf Sportwagen. 2 words. Hurt. Feelings. This is what $25K all-in (less if you DIY) gets you...plus you can carry $hit.

Tiego, are you stacked on the Unitronic IS20 tune?
The best I can manage with a stacked IS20 Unitronic E30 tune is a 12.6 @109 at a drag strip. Though I don't have the turbo inlet pipe, I am surprised you're that much faster.
Does the Dragy utilize a 1ft rollout? Maybe my DA has just been too high.