GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Unitronic Stage 1 Tune Review?

quailallstar

WOB DJ496
Car(s)
MY19 MK7.5 GTI Bunny
EQT is generally regarded as the best tuner for the GTI. If you read the various threads you will see why I say that. And being on the Cobb platform gives you the flexibility to flash the tunes yourself without going to a dealer or needing a computer to flash a tune.

Thanks for that good info about EQT. I will research some more and then decide which direction to take. :)

WynGti20

Car(s)
2020 GTI SE
It doesn't seem like this matter to you, but have you considered that an ecu/TCU flash voids your drivetrain warranty?

Your car is brand new.

So I've heard so many differing opinions on this topic and come to the understanding (I thought) that if you flash back to stock then the dealer can tell it has been flashed but not know what was done. I have also heard that the same codes come up to the dealer when the battery is disconnected which I do sometimes when I go away from time to time... Have you heard that?
On another note, I do have a mod friendly dealer here.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
So I've heard so many differing opinions on this topic and come to the understanding (I thought) that if you flash back to stock then the dealer can tell it has been flashed but not know what was done. I have also heard that the same codes come up to the dealer when the battery is disconnected which I do sometimes when I go away from time to time... Have you heard that?
On another note, I do have a mod friendly dealer here.

There's a flash counter and it's not the dealer you need to worry about it's VWOA. If you bring your car in for warranty work when the dealer scans it they send that info to VWOA for warranty approval.

WynGti20

Car(s)
2020 GTI SE
There's a flash counter and it's not the dealer you need to worry about it's VWOA. If you bring your car in for warranty work when the dealer scans it they send that info to VWOA for warranty approval.
Then I really hope I don't have any issues. I'm confident in a relationship at the local dealer to ensure they do not plug into VWOA. Otherwise I have a trusted VW mechanic guru that I will call on.
Thank you so much for the great cautionary advice and again, I apologize for interrupting this thread.

CarlosCanizares

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf R
Then I really hope I don't have any issues. I'm confident in a relationship at the local dealer to ensure they do not plug into VWOA.

It's not an issue of IF, but WHEN. Any recalls will mean your car gets plugged in.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Then I really hope I don't have any issues. I'm confident in a relationship at the local dealer to ensure they do not plug into VWOA. Otherwise I have a trusted VW mechanic guru that I will call on.
Thank you so much for the great cautionary advice and again, I apologize for interrupting this thread.

If you try to get any warranty work approved your dealer will not have a choice whether to plug into VWOA. It's mandatory for approval.

Scanner

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2018 Golf TSI 1.8
I have a 2018 MK7.5 1.8 TSI automatic (09G). I had driven stock for 18 months and 35k Km before doing Uni Stage 1+ with Uniconnect cable.
Awesome mod, but only after solving annoying misfire issues at full throttle. The 1st attempt was changing the plugs to new RS7 plugs which improved the frequency of misfires but still experiencing them. The final solution: reducing the plug gap to 6 mm as advised on the APR website for tuned ECUs. No more issues at all, I had driven more than 10k Km with the 1+ and gapped plugs, a fast smooth car and still fuel-efficient. The only mods at that time were the Uni tune, the plugs and a K&N drop-in filter.
I know other excellent tune options like JB4 can give you access to fine adjustments, but I liked the idea of a just plug, install and play software from a Canadian company, I'm a very busy senior-father-of-3 :), and I live in Canada.

Of course, I got the "Mod-7 Fever", and 4 months ago I've installed the Unitronic DP, the Uni inlet elbow and the Stage 2 tune. Very noticeable difference compared to Stage 1+, and the sound and fuel efficiency still remained near stock (when driving on highways, cruise control). No issues, just happiness, after another 10k Km with this Stage 2 and expecting to have enjoyable power for a long time.

To help to transfer the obvious extra power to the ground I have good 225 Continental summer tires, lower stance with Eibach springs, APR dogbone + APR Insert, CTS engine mount + CTS transmission mount. On full throttle launches, the handling, traction and wheel hop have improved a lot. Yes, they've added cabin vibration, and to help with it and with the smoothness and durability of the engine I've also installed the Fluidampr. I know people have mixed opinions about the Fluidampr but I've been enjoying it, I noticed a difference and I hope it adds some durability to the engine as it claims.

My next, and last, stage will be the IS20, possibly a remanufactured, with warranty even if tuned, from turbopartscanada. I'm not thinking about changing the intercooler, I don't do frequently pulls that heat-soak would be a significant concern, and this is Canada ... I prefer using the intercooler money into that remanufactured IS20 instead of a cheaper used one, with a great chance not to have worked at stock boost levels ...
Just sharing additional thoughts and my experience with Unitronic throughout the stages. I'm not disappointed that Uni does not have an IS38 tune for the TSI with a 09G transmission, not my plan, I should find a good balance of performance, durability, etc with the IS20 package.
Cheers,

edstigator

Car(s)
2019 Golf R 6Spd
Id recommend the Cobb with EQT tune. I’ve got a 2019 golf R 6 spd. I ran the Cobb stage 1 for a while before I got the itch for more power.
I recently pulled the trigger on an injen intake and CTS Catless downpipe. I’m now running the EQT stage 2. Huge difference, super smooth power delivery, no knocks or misfires at the moment. I’m just waiting on delivery of a new BMS Intercooler and dkm stage 3 clutch.
Bang for your buck if you can find a used cobb tuner it’s your best way to go. I picked mine up off Kijiji in December for $400. The beauty of the Cobb is you can always resell If you get rid of the car or go in another direction with your tunes.
There is a lot of info out there and I think no matter which product you go with you will be happy. I definitely have a smile on my face every time I take my R out.

DJsully20

Car(s)
2016 GTI
Good information, I’m new to the GTI platform a and I’m a tad confused as to what route I should go tune wise since it seems like every option is super effective APR (seems like the best tune to me) Unitronic was impressive but same with JB4. The Cobb tune I don’t know much about although I had 2 access ports before but for STI’s so different platform. Any thoughts would be appreciated!

CarlosCanizares

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf R
Good information, I’m new to the GTI platform a and I’m a tad confused as to what route I should go tune wise since it seems like every option is super effective APR (seems like the best tune to me) Unitronic was impressive but same with JB4. The Cobb tune I don’t know much about although I had 2 access ports before but for STI’s so different platform. Any thoughts would be appreciated!

Welcome.

Pop this in the GTI Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Tunes section for more visibility and responses.

My response would be to know your goals then build to it. APR, Uni, Eurodyne (was S2 in my MK7 GTI), GIAC, Cobb, JB1/4 (have the 1 right now)...etc are all great. Flashing from home isn't a game-changer anymore, but pro-tuning is. Many on here say, if you're investing on something for your car, might as well get something that can grow with your car AND have resale value at the end - Cobb.

You'll read this, see my sig and probably wonder why I'm not going the Cobb route. My goals just don't follow the majority of those on here.

Last edited:

DJsully20

Car(s)
2016 GTI
I went with Integrated Engineering and it was a very seem less transition tuning from home! Man, what a difference Stage 1 makes in these cars good gawd!

CarlosCanizares

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf R
I went with Integrated Engineering and it was a very seem less transition tuning from home! Man, what a difference Stage 1 makes in these cars good gawd!

Good for you! Honestly, S1 is plenty for majority of owners who need extra.

Enjoy it and drive safe!

DJsully20

Car(s)
2016 GTI
Thanks! Yeah I totally agree...with that being said I’ll probably get to Stage 2 and most likely stop there. I enjoy the “modding” process as for power I’m fine with what i got from stage 1 but my old Cobalt SS Turbo on my 93 oct tune was right around 330 - 340 hp and really enjoyed the car.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG

Cobb AP and a tune from EQT. Pretty sure that's the most used tune in the forum.

CarlosCanizares

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf R
Thanks! Yeah I totally agree...with that being said I’ll probably get to Stage 2 and most likely stop there. I enjoy the “modding” process as for power I’m fine with what i got from stage 1 but my old Cobalt SS Turbo on my 93 oct tune was right around 330 - 340 hp and really enjoyed the car.

Budget for a clutch and tires too.