GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Unitronic Stage 1 Tune Review?

I know I'm probably dragging up a question that has been answered before, but I did a quick search and wasn't able to find an answer.

Does anyone here have there car tuned with a Unitronic Stage 1 tune? And if so, would you be able to give a review of your experience with it (both the good and the bad)?

I'm looking into getting a stage 1 tune now, and have heard a few horror stories about tuning MK7's that are pretty off putting at times and am looking for more information regarding peoples experiences with this Unitronic tune in particular.

Thanks in advance!

madelinot

Ready to race!
I ran Stage 1 for about 8 months before moving to Stage 2 (on the Golf R). No issues whatsoever. The car feels great and the tune was easy to load. The car should be coming with Stage 2 from the factory...

Chronic

Go Kart Champion
Ran stage 1+ for a while about 5000km with no issue
Stage 2 now for around 8000km with no issue
Car runs really smooth[emoji41]

Omnimous

Running Stage 1+ as well as the TCU tune on the R. No issues, the car feels like stock until you punch it. The power comes on in a very linear fashion and pulls strong all the way to red line. I like the option of being able to load the tunes in the comfort of your own home. Another benefit is that if you buy stage 2, you have access to all the tunes below it and can load them if you wanted to.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Chronic

Go Kart Champion
Running Stage 1+ as well as the TCU tune on the R. No issues, the car feels like stock until you punch it. The power comes on in a very linear fashion and pulls strong all the way to red line. I like the option of being able to load the tunes in the comfort of your own home. Another benefit is that if you buy stage 2, you have access to all the tunes below it and can load them if you wanted to.

Which is a + when you can't get 93

That's cool. I did not know you could switch between lesser tunes if you buy a higher stage.

Did you have to purchase a separate device to change the tunes?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chronic

Go Kart Champion
195 +tax

Chronic

Go Kart Champion

Chronic

Go Kart Champion
Sounds well worth the $$

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I highly recommend getting the ecu/tcu at the same time if it was me I'd start with 1+ecu no mods needed and stage 1 tcu they really go hand in hand for the full Uni experience

That way if you ever go stage 2 you can just upgrade which is still fairly cheap and gives you time to save for a Catless pipe lol or catted,what ever you want[emoji41]

LightsOut

hey guys - I literally got the Unitronic Stage 1 tune about 30 mins ago so I can really comment. It's been a year since I've had the car, 22k kms. Firstly, it took me weeks of debating if I should get a tune because of the warranty worries but I finally decided - screw it...i'm going to leave it in the hands in the tuning gods of Unitronic...I really hope they know their shit. I went UNI vs APR for 2 reasons: 1) Way cheaper. $650 vs $950 for APR for stage 1. 2) Canadian company, with great reviews..their service when I called in was also great and I understand their tune is less boosty and more stock-ish. I want to support Canadian so pulled the trigger.

Verdict: I did my tune at K&H Radiators in Scarborough. Took about 1 hr, no fee for install. Just before that, I got my stock resonator removed down the road at NoyzBoyz. It cost me $120+ tax, and I have mixed feelings on it. It sounds almost exactly like stock..with a very very slight increase in noise that you only hear high in the RPM range. I would use that $120 towards a Uni connect cable (costs $195). Now the tune - I know it takes some time to kick in but I'm really loving it. It feels almost exactly like stock when driving around town and traffic...but when you drive spirited the power is very gradual and you will only tell how much extra power you have once you go past 70-80kms/hr, or accelerate quickly past 3-4k rpm. Extremely strong punch all the way to redline, and I did not do the TCU tune...I decided I would see how it felt first on stock DSG. Mine seems to handle it perfectly fine, so hopefully saved myself the $650.

It feels like this is how it should have come out of the factory...and feels like the car can definitely handle this power (obviously better when conditions are dry...on slick surface you will def get slippage and wheel hop). In a couple of days I will update you guys with a review...but if you are like me and sitting on the fence for weeks - go for it..it is the best $650 i've ever spent already. I didn't do 1 + because I don't want to go hunting for 93 fuel, and I didn't buy the uniconnect cable yet...if I ever need it I will buy it then, or pay the $50 to flash back to stock/upgrade by any dealer.