GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Unitronic stage 1+ Top Speed

Jacobmk7

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI S 4dr DSG
Got my car on an open stretch of country highway(in Mexico). My car is uni stage 1+, which I thought removes the speed limiter, but my car stopped accelerating completely at 119/120. The rpms and speed didn’t budge. I know the car is tuned because I can do left foot braking and it feels a lot faster. Any ideas?

ccramerusc

Car(s)
17' GTI SE
When I looked into Unitronic as an option I seem to remember that they offered an add-on option (on top of the stage 1 tune) to remove the limiter. I would guess that yours doesn't have that option. I ended up going with with the JB4 which also doesn't change the limiter.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Uni gets hyped where I live, because the most popular VW tuning shop in town is a dealer and heavily pushes Uni tunes, backs them with a limited warranty, and so many locals use them due to those fractors. I did AP because I'd previously used it on 3 Subi builds, so I already knew the advantages. It's easy to get caught up in the tuner of the month flavor when buying and first modifying. Don't beat yourself up. Just get an AP. I'm currently using stg EQT tune. You can buy the AP from them and at come preloaded for extra $75.

Jacobmk7

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI S 4dr DSG
Update: Called them and he said there are 2 speed governors, ECU and TCU. I only have ecu software. There website is pretty misleading as it clearly states “Speed Governor Removed”. Not implying that there are 2 governors that have to be removed in order to go fast. Kinda disappointed but tbh I have no business going faster than 120mph anyway.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Update: Called them and he said there are 2 speed governors, ECU and TCU. I only have ecu software. There website is pretty misleading as it clearly states “Speed Governor Removed”. Not implying that there are 2 governors that have to be removed in order to go fast. Kinda disappointed but tbh I have no business going faster than 120mph anyway.
First time I've heard of a TCU governor.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
They also promote getting both thebECU and TCU together typically and now there's another reason!

tigeo

Autocross Champion
The first question the dude asked me was “DSG or Manual”. As soon as I said DSG the dude said I need a TCU tune to remove the “other governor”. So yes in this case 6MT ftw...lmao
And just think, if you had the manual, you'd just be adding a clutch to this shortly after so cost of a TCU tune should look pretty economical..ahhahaa.

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
OP,
What speed are your tires rated for?
Keep that in mind when you push them.
The impact on tires also depends on how long you stay at speed, age, wear, etc.
New tires best for higher speed runs.
Do lower speed testing to make sure no internal tires issues before a high speed run.
My thoughts.

Unitronic, love my tune. Sure there are better, but for a dialy fun driver it is smooth and solid.
TCU helps handle the extra HP. For those that want a smoother DSG, Unitronic helps with this.