GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Unitronic S1 TCU Initial Thoughts

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT
So I've gone a semi unique route with tuning my car. I've always said I don't mind driving a slow car (more fun to drive a slow car fast than a fast car slow, and I don't need any more excuses to lose my license than I already have), however the OEM TCU programming just has. to. go.

So I tuned my TCU first instead of doing both the ECU and TCU at the same time, and here are my thoughts 5 days in:

The Good:

Shifting action itself is greatly improved. Downshifts and upshifts are smoother. In D, S, and M. In this sense, I agree with everyone who always says "it should've come this way from the factory."

Upshifting while getting into the throttle, say 50%+ throttle, is way better. It just hammers through so much smoother and cleaner and you really feel the lack of interruption/throttle change between shifts. I very much enjoy seeing the TCU shift from 2-3 at like 5700RPM at full throttle, it reminds me the thing actually knows that the engine doesn't make any power up top. Again, "should've come this way from the factory."

The Bad:

Downshifting response (say, in response to a punch on the throttle) is still way too slow, basically OEM.

S mode is still too Sport-y for me, and D is still too Drive-y for me.

More on D being too Drive-y: SHIFT POINTS ARE ENTIRELY UNCHANGED. The absolute most annoying part of the OEM tune was that it basically wouldn't give you 3rd gear if you were any less than 50% on the throttle. That was my #1 complaint, above all else. Just shifting from 3-4 *immediately* after the 2-3.

It still does this. And it still shifts to 5th as early as 34/35 mph on light throttle. and It still shifts to 6th at 44mph.

Takeaways:

I will be *EXTREMELY* dissatisfied if the above complaint is not remedied by matching my ECU tune to the TCU tune. It is my sincere hope that doing one without the other is the source of the OEM-ness of the shift points.

So stay tuned for my impressions post ECU tune. Before I say anything on the matter I think I'm going to revert TCU to OEM, then go ECU, THEN go TCU. I'm wondering if there's any sense of dependencies between one or the other. We all know the experiences people have tuning their engine without tuning the TCU, so I really hope my concerns are assuaged.

P.S.

If you've seen me around these forums over the years, you know that Murphy's Law really dictates the fuck out of my life. I had several, several issues attempting to flash my car last week, including multiple "Retries" and getting locked out of Uni's database ("no tune file detected"), tune getting stuck at 0% and providing me with no way to exit out of Uniconnect safely without bricking my ECU. Making matters worse, of course I was doing it outside of their business hours (because their business hours are MY business hours, lol) so support could not really come in time to help me.

I've learned a lot of hard lessons over the years, and I've learned to do as much research as humanly possible. But it seems no matter what I do my shit never works out easily, smoothly, efficiently, or without spending more money than was necessary in the first place.

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
So I *almost* tuned my TCU first as well.......still wound have had Uni not done the $250 off deal if you did both a few months back. Since I did both, I cannot comment because it's too hard to separate if my TCU tune is different just because of added ECU tune. I have yet to use the paddle shifters or use sport....I think drive for me is fine due to quite a bit of highway, but haven't noticed any super crappy shifting in/around town.

I'm very interested to know if you specifically notice a difference after you add the ECU tune. I have to imagine the TCU will react differently due to what the engine is telling it to do.

CaptainRatty

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
I'm stage 2 but I'll share my thoughts anyway as I believe both tunes are very similar in terms of drivability with stage 2 just bringing more to the table at higher speeds. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong on that.

I agree with most of your points, especially with drive being too drive-y and sport being too sport-y.

I'll take note of where it's shifting in 5th/6th, but I do believe the shift points in the upper gears has changed especially at normal acceleration. I remember before the tune being at around 45 MPH in 6th and then having to push my foot down too far to force a downshift.... Eventually I got tired of it and exclusively used the paddles for a while until I got the TCU tune which solved this completely.

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT
I had a Unitronic DSG tune on my MK5, I lost all gears 2-3 times randomly, highly annoying, hope its fixed on the MK7.

Also I would of gone this route:

https://www.cobbtuning.com/mk7-dsg-tuning-available-now/

WOAH! I thought you were fossilized by now :)

Um, I've heard absolutely TERRIBLE things about Cobb's OTS tunes. I know that Cobb-certified E-Tuners do amazing work, but on the OTS/set and forget side of things, Cobb lacks severely.

I wanted an OTS/set and forget solution. And I've heard sooooo many positive things about Uni's S1 ECU/TCU combo from people that clearly think and approach modding their cars like me, that I thought it was the best solution for me.

I'm gonna try and do the ECU tune tonight or tomorrow.

YamR1rider

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport DSG
Good luck with it, and am interested to hear your thoughts on how the ecu/tcu combo is. I was at one point all set on Unitronic but then the APR+ swung me over, and I have been very happy with it. On that one, I will say drive is less drivey and sport is less sporty (in a good way) . Drive especially is good for 90 percent of the time running around.

I do dare say that when you do flash your ECU you might change your mind about the more fun to drive a slow car fast bit as it pertains to the GTI :)

Tjbell

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2021 GTI SE DSG
I went from stock ecu and tcu to stage 1 plus and tcu stage one, i notice a vast difference in how the cars drives in "D" mode - for the better. it still trys to get into 6th gear ASAP which I dont entirely mind I just wish I didn't have to put my foot to the floor to prompt a downshift.

"S" is still too sporty also. 3 to 4 shift is silly long at 4k ish RPM

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
Just used the sport mode on the way home with the unitronic stage 1 TCU tune and it is ridiculous....it would not get into 6th at 78

geokilla

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 VW GTI DSG
What's a better TCU tune then? APR?

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT
Good luck with it, and am interested to hear your thoughts on how the ecu/tcu combo is. I was at one point all set on Unitronic but then the APR+ swung me over, and I have been very happy with it. On that one, I will say drive is less drivey and sport is less sporty (in a good way) . Drive especially is good for 90 percent of the time running around.

I do dare say that when you do flash your ECU you might change your mind about the more fun to drive a slow car fast bit as it pertains to the GTI :)

I successfully flashed my ECU tonight using my iPhone as a hotspot.

Shit. I need to be careful lol, this power is addictive. It’s unbelievably smooth too. Like if the power delivery was less smooth then it wouldn’t be as easy to go so fast haha.

Annnnnnd the shift points still suck. The difference is the car has some go off-boost now, and a ramped throttle signal so I don’t have to push as hard as I would’ve had to before to achieve the same level of throttle.

But I’m sure that the increased power/response will truly make me not mind D, even though I’m annoyed that they advertise it as “optimized shift points.” They only optimize the shift points on-throttle. Not when you’re just putting around town. Same overly eager shiftiness as OEM.

But I’m nitpicking. I’m definitely in honeymoon phase right now. It drives so much better it’s unreal. I’m interested to see how it affects my gas mileage on the way to work tomorrow. I’m gonna drive like I normally do (on the highway - 60-65 mph for 28 miles). I’m hoping for a 1-2 mpg increase, though my fingers are not crossed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT
What's a better TCU tune then? APR?

I’ve heard people with the same complaints about the APR DSG tune. What’s weird is I don’t feel like I’ve ever heard someone say what I’m saying about Unitronic’s, and I’ve been reading about Uni tunes for ~literally~ 5 years lol.

NeedSleep

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 Golf R DSG
What’s weird is I don’t feel like I’ve ever heard someone say what I’m saying about Unitronic’s, and I’ve been reading about Uni tunes for ~literally~ 5 years lol.

Ed @ EQT mentioned when someone asked about the possibility of custom TCU tuning that it would be hard to do all the part throttle stuff because of so many factors, including subjectivity.

People have different driving styles, environments, and commutes, so it's easy to see why some would say a particular TCU tune works for them while others disagree.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

YamR1rider

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport DSG
Ed @ EQT mentioned when someone asked about the possibility of custom TCU tuning that it would be hard to do all the part throttle stuff because of so many factors, including subjectivity.

People have different driving styles, environments, and commutes, so it's easy to see why some would say a particular TCU tune works for them while others disagree.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

I think that's probably it - very subjective. With my APR Tcu tune when you are on part throttle going up the box, it doesn't change up as quick at least while still accelerating even if even very slightly, it might not cog into 6th till about 60 in some cases (but will go to 6th at anything above 40 if you come off the throttle enough).

It is more reluctant to drop down from 6th once it's in in - 40 is the hard cut off from 6th to 5th in D. Anything above 40 it still does take a bit more persuading to get it to drop down than I'd like.

Golfwang - give it some time with your uni, see how you get on. I'd be interested to compare shift points between APR and uni in different throttle conditions

Pinkesh

Good details on the TCU tune. I'm curious to hear your experience after full day of driving with both ecu and tcu tune. I'm looking to purchase their combo this week with their sale going on, literally on the edge of doing it and moving away from my JB4. Hope to see your feedback soon.

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT
Good details on the TCU tune. I'm curious to hear your experience after full day of driving with both ecu and tcu tune. I'm looking to purchase their combo this week with their sale going on, literally on the edge of doing it and moving away from my JB4. Hope to see your feedback soon.

It's pretttyyyy freakin sweet man lol. I'm bummed that the low throttle shift points are still 100% OEM. But the car just has more go now and it doesn't SUCK like it did stock lol. The throttle ramping in conjunction with the TCU tune definitely helps with responsiveness on downshifting. And any throttle past like 30% you're in the power, you're moving. And doing so in a very smooth and refined way where you wouldn't realize how fast you're going if you didn't watch the needles.

I am not an unhappy customer. In fact, with time, I'm sure I will fall entirely in love with it. I was just hoping that I could leave it in D more often. M mode is significantly better than OEM as well, FWIW.

My gas mileage did not improve like many others experience, and I wasn't laying into the throttle on the way to work today. In fact I specifically drove the same way I normally do, aka 60mph CC for 28 miles to work, with a little bit of hooning on the 5 miles of back roads between the highway and my job.

Gas mileage is identical. I normally get 29-31 in the mornings. I got 30 this morning.

One thing I noticed is what I think is timing pull, for the first time (OEM tune is so weak you can't tell if it's pulling timing, which it probably never was since I was running 93 on it). Only in 2nd gear, and only around ~4.5K RPM.

It happened on two separate low speed low gear pulls this morning. No traction control intervention, but a clear dropoff in power/hesitation.

I'm gonna log it.