Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
I’m gonna skip past all the arm chair discussions and note that I have first handed seen a eBay -bicooler added to a car here in Vegas that Already had a upgrade factory location IC with a vortex xl running 33-34 psi and the car got really good results with no negative effects from the drivers perspective... was doing logs with temps 5-8 over ambient on pulls.

I was quite surprised to see his results

the

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI
I’m gonna skip past all the arm chair discussions and note that I have first handed seen a eBay -bicooler added to a car here in Vegas that Already had a upgrade factory location IC with a vortex xl running 33-34 psi and the car got really good results with no negative effects from the drivers perspective... was doing logs with temps 5-8 over ambient on pulls.

I was quite surprised to see his results
This also supports the data recorded on the bench-test at mygolfmk7.com. Knowing what I know today, if I was doing a purchase again it would probably be the bi-cooler.

JTM88

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI
This also supports the data recorded on the bench-test at mygolfmk7.com. Knowing what I know today, if I was doing a purchase again it would probably be the bi-cooler.
I was super skeptical about bi-coolers until I read his write-up, now I'm sold on them.

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
BuT tHe StOcK lOcAtIoN uPgRaDeS ArE bEtTeR

not a dig at you @Mk7Matt just digging at the fools who think location does not matter. With my fmic, ait’s are always ambient. And after back to back pulls it’s hardly 3-5f over ambient.

but to answer your question. Your ait increase is no where near as bad as the stock intercooler. And your increase is very reasonable. Especially when you compare all the stock location upgrades. But if you need better temps, the bi cooler with your current stock location intercooler will help. Especially if you get a beefier fmic

Mk7Matt

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI

not a dig at you @Mk7Matt just digging at the fools who think location does not matter. With my fmic, ait’s are always ambient. And after back to back pulls it’s hardly 3-5f over ambient.

but to answer your question. Your ait increase is no where near as bad as the stock intercooler. And your increase is very reasonable. Especially when you compare all the stock location upgrades. But if you need better temps, the bi cooler with your current stock location intercooler will help. Especially if you get a beefier fmic
I bought the Unitronic IC almost 5 years ago. Main reason for purchasing is because their pricing was so much better than the IE and APR offerings at the time.

I’m tempted to add the bi-cooler but am not sure the hose that comes with it will connect to my Unitronic discharge pipe.

A0F9DCD1-BE4C-4F2E-BC75-106F51E8C3C2.jpeg

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
I bought the Unitronic IC almost 5 years ago. Main reason for purchasing is because their pricing was so much better than the IE and APR offerings at the time.

I’m tempted to add the bi-cooler but am not sure the hose that comes with it will connect to my Unitronic discharge pipe.

View attachment 212173
Oh I see. Sadly I wouldn’t be able to comment on that. Sorry man.

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny

View attachment 212173
That discharge pipe looks to end at the same location as stock and the rev9 2.5” that I’m running, you should be fine as you’ll just be deleting the hose portion that came with the Kit.

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny

You’re not comparing apples in regards to bringing up you’re results.

Mk7Matt’s car is pushing high boost to redline like my car... when my car stage 2 stock turbo I had the same great results with my FMIC ( treadstone trl8) and didn’t get climb at the top of pulls, but once you start actually pushing boost and creating excess heat up top you will see the short comings of having to run a smaller heat exchanger to fit in the location without cutting the crash bar. If I was not spraying water/meth as well my iat would climb a good bit at high rpms too

Last edited:

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
You’re not comparing apples in regards to bringing up you’re results.

Mk7Matt’s car is pushing high boost to redline like my car... when my car stage 2 stock turbo I had the same great results with my FMIC ( treadstone trl8) and didn’t get climb at the top of pulls, but once you start actually pushing boost and creating excess heat up top you will see the short comings of having to run a smaller heat exchanger to fit in the location without cutting the crash bar. If I was not spraying water/meth as well my iat would climb a good bit at high rpms too
🤷🏽‍♂️ Comparing low tq to high tq abuse resulted in the same temp gains over ambient. Highest I’ve ever recorded my ait over ambient was 7f.

I’ve pushed hard enough to see oil temps climb to high 240’s low 250’s too.

yet my ait’s seem fine. At least on the is20. My tune doesn’t hold max boost to red line, sure. But even then I’m not going to see these types of temps. Not saying op’s temps are bad or anything. It’s a hell of a lot better than stock. That’s for sure.

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
It is a good analogy, you don't understand the way air velocity affects pressure drop which might be why you think it is not a good analogy.

The Unitronic has 24 charge air rows, when it is combined with a bicooler the extra core adds around 10-12 additional charge air rows. There's now 36 passageways for air to flow through. This allows the air to flow through at lower velocity; the volumetric flow rate is the same in the two cases. The slower air velocity through any individual passageway reduces the pressure drop (Here's another analogy, a car experiences less drag force at 60 mph versus 120 mph. The same is happening inside the core as the charge air velocity decreases.) An additional benefit of the slower travel is more time to get heat out of the charge air and into the cores.
It’s the same when removing heat from a liquid via a heat exchanger. Such as air to water intercooling, radiators etc

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
🤷🏽‍♂️ Comparing low tq to high tq abuse resulted in the same temp gains over ambient. Highest I’ve ever recorded my ait over ambient was 7f.
what 😂

Again your situation is not comparable... higher boost at higher rpms with hybrids that are are using housing that were never designed for those levels of boost and volume are generating exponentially higher levels of heat BEFORE they get to either fmic location.

I’ve pushed hard enough to see oil temps climb to high 240’s low 250’s too.
Thats not a direct correlation to temperatures of the air directly leaving the compressor wheel, or even relevant to OPs situation, but thanks for the info of your oil temps😂, that are elevated from internal friction mainly.

yet my ait’s seem fine. At least on the is20.
again... so did mine BEFORE when I was stage 2 level with a stock turbo.

My tune doesn’t hold max boost to red line, sure. But even then I’m not going to see these types of temps.

1. You’re turbo (hardware)will not make max boost to red line so there could never be a “even then” lol
2. If you were to run a hybrid with 28/29 psi to redline with your fmic setup you would 100% see IATs like that, guess how I know?lol.

I just stated above that EVEN with an Fmic that you feel is the greatest location when you are running a hybrid with higher boost up top you generate MORE heat before you even get to the heat exchanger (my FIRST hand experience with my car, not arm chairing)

Not saying op’s temps are bad or anything. It’s a hell of a lot better than stock. That’s for sure.

In short your personal situation is completely irrelevant to Matt’s other that owning the same car...

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
what 😂

Again your situation is not comparable... higher boost at higher rpms with hybrids that are are using housing that were never designed for those levels of boost and volume are generating exponentially higher levels of heat BEFORE they get to either fmic location.

Thats not a direct correlation to temperatures of the air directly leaving the compressor wheel, or even relevant to OPs situation, but thanks for the info of your oil temps😂, that are elevated from internal friction mainly.

again... so did mine BEFORE when I was stage 2 level with a stock turbo.

1. You’re turbo (hardware)will not make max boost to red line so there could never be a “even then” lol
2. If you were to run a hybrid with 28/29 psi to redline with your fmic setup you would 100% see IATs like that, guess how I know?lol.

I just stated above that EVEN with an Fmic that you feel is the greatest location when you are running a hybrid with higher boost up top you generate MORE heat before you even get to the heat exchanger (my FIRST hand experience with my car, not arm chairing)

In short your personal situation is completely irrelevant to Matt’s other that owning the same car...
Well yeah, different turbo’s. Different cfm levels being pushed.

the info on my oil temps was to describe that I too abused the car enough with more than a few back to back pulls.

is there a limiting factor with the stock is20 that allow it to hold the same amount of boost till redline? Folks said that a lot about other platforms too, till a ebcs can be swapped and cats could be deleted.

a hybrid with a fmic has a better shot at managing those temps vs a stock location upgraded one.