GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Unitronic Exhaust / Downpipe

maic

Passed Driver's Ed
I have a Unitronic downpipe for awhile and now I'm thinking of getting their Exhaust. Im just worried that it will be too loud.
Is this the same set up as their Turbo back exhaust once I have installed their exhaust? Will I maintain the catalytic converter?
Does anybody have this set up so at least I know if it will be too loud. As of now I have AWE touring exhaust on a stage 2 ECU/TCU

bluekid99

Drag Race Newbie
I have a Unitronic downpipe for awhile and now I'm thinking of getting their Exhaust. Im just worried that it will be too loud.
Is this the same set up as their Turbo back exhaust once I have installed their exhaust? Will I maintain the catalytic converter?
Does anybody have this set up so at least I know if it will be too loud. As of now I have AWE touring exhaust on a stage 2 ECU/TCU
Unitronics downpipe is catted so you wont be losing any cats and it is the same thing as their turboback. I would check out video. From what ive noticed with people that Unitronic is one of the loudest systems out there

maic

Passed Driver's Ed
Really. I tried to check videos but hard to tell how loud. In my area haven't seen a modded GTI. Noticed you have RS7 plugs does it make difference on performance?

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
They make a very noticable difference. Better idle and smoothness while driving.

They may work on an APR tune, but they are not recommended on a Unitronic tune. I called up Unitronic after having some misfires on track at higher RPM and cylinder hiding, and they said "the RS7 plugs are known to cause issues, stock plugs, stock gap." On the street i didn't have any issues for 2k miles or so, but after a couple more it didn't seem to idle as smoothly. Moving back to fresh stock plugs smoothened out way more at idle, and no more random misfires under WOT on track.

bluekid99

Drag Race Newbie
They may work on an APR tune, but they are not recommended on a Unitronic tune. I called up Unitronic after having some misfires on track at higher RPM and cylinder hiding, and they said "the RS7 plugs are known to cause issues, stock plugs, stock gap." On the street i didn't have any issues for 2k miles or so, but after a couple more it didn't seem to idle as smoothly. Moving back to fresh stock plugs smoothened out way more at idle, and no more random misfires under WOT on track.
I actually ran them on unitronic tune. I was unitronic 1+ and 2 and my plugs were shot....i was full bolt on before my apr is38 and it definitely helped with my uni stage 2 tune

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
I actually ran them on unitronic tune. I was unitronic 1+ and 2 and my plugs were shot....i was full bolt on before my apr is38 and it definitely helped with my uni stage 2 tune

as always ymmv, but after my oil got up to temp on track the misfires were massive. The above is what Uni told me ?‍♂️. I was also full bolt on with stage 2. Weirdly, my water temp went up a lot with the RS7 plugs on track, which I assume was due to the misfires.

maic

Passed Driver's Ed
Got the Unitronic turbo back and it' really loud. The only option now is go back to stock downpipe to minimized the sound. Is there any option
to make the sound / drone not too loud with out removing downpipe?