GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

United Motorsports Gen5 Haldex for MQB Vehicles

Gvazquez

Go Kart Champion
Tried LC at just 3k, and it spun 1-2nd hard. (The roads were pretty damp, was 45 then and on summer tires) It was different though I could tell the rears were really spinning too. It didn’t seem to just shoot up in rpms that quick and short shift early or anything. It just rode it out spinning front and rear. Felt like it was actually a real AWD. Lol. Have a race the 20th. I’ll leave a final thought after then and launching it on DR’s.
So is it worth the switch for me to go to UM from ED? This dsg tune has really good LC but everything else about it sucks. Im tuned to raise the redline but the tcu tune is definitely not allowing me to rev higher and no matter what gear, if I shift too close to redline it'll double shift

Delasangre4231

Passed Driver's Ed
So is it worth the switch for me to go to UM from ED? This dsg tune has really good LC but everything else about it sucks. Im tuned to raise the redline but the tcu tune is definitely not allowing me to rev higher and no matter what gear, if I shift too close to redline it'll double shift
I have that issue with EQT ECU tune and APR DSG tune. Love the APR tune but the redlines aren't in sync.

pdisguise

Go Kart Newbie
I’m still ED ECU/TCU, just the UM Haldex. I’m on the 7,200 Stage 3 TCU file. If I’m on it, I’ll just keep it in M and let it shift itself.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
United Motorsport Haldex tune...clearly it's transferring more power!

Per United, the stock setup can transfer a max of 50% of the available torque. Stock that was 199 lb-ft so theoretically 50% can be transferred for ~100 lb-ft. The tune is supposed to remove that limit and allow 50% of whatever power you are making so for me on the IS38/Unitronic on my 4Motion Sportwagen, that's around 325 per Uni's dyno sheet so I should now be able to get 50% of that for 162 lb-ft. I was getting a max of roughly 30% of the available before the tune. if this is correct.

The Graph shows a standing launch pre- and post-tune logging within the brake control unit (3) the awd channel "nM". This is clearly not the actual torque but some proxy/measurement that the ECU uses and matches roughly what United's graph on their site looks like so figured this was the way to do it.
I didn't take the post-tune run up to the same speed as the pre-tune run so that's why the post-tune line drops off out on the right. OBDEleven sucks big-time for logging and doesn't always use the same interval for data points - I did the best I could normalizing them and some of the slight differences in the 2 graphs' trend matching each other are most likely related to that but it's close enough.

Datazap file:
https://datazap.me/u/karstgeo72/pre-vs-post-haldex-tune-launch?log=0&data=1-2

20210430_221010.jpg
Capture.JPG

Last edited:

Delasangre4231

Passed Driver's Ed
United Motorsport Haldex tune...clearly it's transferring more power!

Per United, the stock setup can transfer a max of 50% of the available torque. Stock that was 199 lb-ft so theoretically 50% can be transferred for ~100 lb-ft. The tune is supposed to remove that limit and allow 50% of whatever power you are making so for me on the IS38/Unitronic on my 4Motion Sportwagen, that's around 325 per Uni's dyno sheet so I should now be able to get 50% of that for 162 lb-ft. I was getting a max of roughly 30% of the available before the tune. if this is correct.

The Graph shows a standing launch pre- and post-tune logging within the brake control unit (3) the awd channel "nM". This is clearly not the actual torque but some proxy/measurement that the ECU uses and matches roughly what United's graph on their site looks like so figured this was the way to do it.
I didn't take the post-tune run up to the same speed as the pre-tune run so that's why the post-tune line drops off out on the right. OBDEleven sucks big-time for logging and doesn't always use the same interval for data points - I did the best I could normalizing them and some of the slight differences in the 2 graphs' trend matching each other are most likely related to that but it's close enough.

Now for the big f-up on my part...I should have done a pre-run last week before my visit to New German Performance where I got the tune..forgot that the one I had was from last June when I was still on the IS20 (wha wha whaaaaaa)...what does that mean? I don't think much b/c the torque for both tunes is v. close, more hp on the 38 but torque is about the same (310 vs. 324) and I believe this is just showing power transfer so I *think* the graph would have looked about the same on the IS38 pre-Haldex tune.

Datazap file:
https://datazap.me/u/karstgeo72/pre-vs-post-haldex-tune-launch?log=0&data=1-2

Interesting, so now the question is what does you're butt dyno feel, do launches feel better, does it engage the rear out of corners more, ect.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Interesting, so now the question is what does you're butt dyno feel, do launches feel better, does it engage the rear out of corners more, ect.
I will be doing some launches this week to see if the 60' etc. gets any better. I have a ton of Dragy data before the tune so should be able to make some conclusions. In terms of hard driving, haven't had a chance yet.

Reactions: MSH

Delasangre4231

Passed Driver's Ed
I will be doing some launches this week to see if the 60' etc. gets any better. I have a ton of Dragy data before the tune so should be able to make some conclusions. In terms of hard driving, haven't had a chance yet.
I suspect that its the lack of a front LSD but when I am sitting at a stop sign/light and turn from it and am close to full throttle, I get a ton of wheel spin, I am curious if this would help get me moving and around the corner.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
I suspect that its the lack of a front LSD but when I am sitting at a stop sign/light and turn from it and am close to full throttle, I get a ton of wheel spin, I am curious if this would help get me moving and around the corner.
I don't get much if any. I've done some WOT from a stop right turns.

Contained

Car(s)
2017 Alltrack 6MT
Can the UM haldex tune be run in tandem with a different company's (APR, IE, etc) ECU tune? Has anyone done this?
2017 Alltrack 6MT

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Can the UM haldex tune be run in tandem with a different company's (APR, IE, etc) ECU tune? Has anyone done this?
2017 Alltrack 6MT
Sure - it's separate. I run it with my Unitronic software on my Sportwagen.

Contained

Car(s)
2017 Alltrack 6MT
Sure - it's separate. I run it with my Unitronic software on my Sportwagen.
Thanks for the info! Which did you get first? Noticeable improvements with the haldex? How long you been runnin the combo and have you had any issue with the pair?

*apologies in advance for the barrage of questions

gboticus

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 R DSG
This thread has convinced me to try this tune out for myself!

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Thanks for the info! Which did you get first? Noticeable improvements with the haldex? How long you been runnin the combo and have you had any issue with the pair?

*apologies in advance for the barrage of questions
There is no reason to get the Haldex tune unless you are pushing a lot more power than stock so tune/power adds first. I got the tune earlier this year so about 6 mos. No issues. It's been a nice mod but you won't notice this unless you are pushing the car hard. I did 2 track days a few weeks ago with it and it definately helps you power out of turns with the max traction you can get from the system. I have a post above showing a log explaining how it works.

Contained

Car(s)
2017 Alltrack 6MT
There is no reason to get the Haldex tune unless you are pushing a lot more power than stock so tune/power adds first. I got the tune earlier this year so about 6 mos. No issues. It's been a nice mod but you won't notice this unless you are pushing the car hard. I did 2 track days a few weeks ago with it and it definately helps you power out of turns with the max traction you can get from the system. I have a post above showing a log explaining how it works.
Thanks again. I'm not planning to get it at the moment but it's definitely on my list now. New engine got put in a few thousand miles ago so I'm waitin a while longer before introducing any mods that the shop could try and blame if something goes wrong, even if they are mod-friendly and trustworthy.