GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

United Motorsports Gen5 Haldex for MQB Vehicles

ShagginGSW

Go Kart Newbie
United Motorsport Haldex tune...clearly it's transferring more power!

Per United, the stock setup can transfer a max of 50% of the available torque. Stock that was 199 lb-ft so theoretically 50% can be transferred for ~100 lb-ft. The tune is supposed to remove that limit and allow 50% of whatever power you are making so for me on the IS38/Unitronic on my 4Motion Sportwagen, that's around 325 per Uni's dyno sheet so I should now be able to get 50% of that for 162 lb-ft. I was getting a max of roughly 30% of the available before the tune. if this is correct.

The Graph shows a standing launch pre- and post-tune logging within the brake control unit (3) the awd channel "nM". This is clearly not the actual torque but some proxy/measurement that the ECU uses and matches roughly what United's graph on their site looks like so figured this was the way to do it.
I didn't take the post-tune run up to the same speed as the pre-tune run so that's why the post-tune line drops off out on the right. OBDEleven sucks big-time for logging and doesn't always use the same interval for data points - I did the best I could normalizing them and some of the slight differences in the 2 graphs' trend matching each other are most likely related to that but it's close enough.

Datazap file:
https://datazap.me/u/karstgeo72/pre-vs-post-haldex-tune-launch?log=0&data=1-2

View attachment 212193View attachment 212194
This is awesome info, thanks for testing and logging to show actual results vs claimed. As per the logging issue, sounds like you should look into SimosTools and grab a Macchina A0 for high speed logging.

gboticus

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 R DSG
Got this tune done at a local shop last week. It’s definitely dramatically changed the car’s behaviour for the better when pushing it hard. Way easier to make the car rotate and feels much more neutral, to slightly more rear-biased feeling. Gone is the ploughing on corner exit and now you can get and control slip nicely with power.

Cannot wait to take it to the race track next year with this tune.

krs

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MKVIIS R
Anyone in this thread that has the tune still happy with it?

Anyone track their car, or autocross, see any value in this?

thanks

tigeo

Autocross Champion

thanks
Very happy with it. I track my car occasionally and generally drive it hard/mountains/etc. It's what the tune is for. If you've added power to your car this is a nice to have to get the most out of the awd system. See my post a few pages back on how this actually works/logs...how can't it help? Powering out of corners is where this shines. Loved it on The Tail of The Dragon.

Last edited:
Reactions: krs

RudyH

Go Kart Champion

thanks
IMO, I found right off the bat you notice you have actual power finally going to the rear wheels. Before it was more FWD biased for sure.

Tack on a Wavetrac in the front, and keep in mind most power still goes to the front, and pretty much you just have to watch your entry speed, but otherwise you can get on the power very early, and open throttle and grin all the way around it!!!

krs

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MKVIIS R
Very nice, thanks for the feedback. I think I’m going to track down the nearest dealer and start looking at this.

gboticus

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 R DSG
Adding my experience at the track with this so far. To build on what others have said it really does make a world of a difference on corner exit. Getting on throttle the car will be dead neutral, and if you push it tend to oversteer and rotate a bit. It's exactly the kind of behaviour you want and it's very predictable.

In a few cases where I was in a 4 wheel power slide at the track (very, very wet day) I was able to apply throttle and get the car pointed where I wanted to go, where before I would just continue to plough.

I haven't tried launching with it yet though but I suspect it would be improved as well.

scrllock

Autocross Champion
Very nice, thanks for the feedback. I think I’m going to track down the nearest dealer and start looking at this.
Fwiw these are my rears after a day at Gingerman.

Attachments

• IMG_20220612_172951.jpg
    IMG_20220612_172951.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 93

Autobahn

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'18 Golf R
Another area where you can feel the haldex tune working is through very long high speed sweepers. I can feel the rear correct itself going through the banking at Auto Club Speedway at 130.

I particularly like it on medium speed high yaw turns, again helps the rear rotate better, makes the most of the haldex.

scrapin240

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
Golf
Another area where you can feel the haldex tune working is through very long high speed sweepers. I can feel the rear correct itself going through the banking at Auto Club Speedway at 130.

I particularly like it on medium speed high yaw turns, again helps the rear rotate better, makes the most of the haldex.
is that Haldex you're feeling or XDS? I believe at that point Haldex is over and XDS is doing it's thing

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Well, had the haldex tune done today.

Looking forward to how it performs with everything else I’ve done.
It's not goign to slap you in the face but it's there.

krs

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MKVIIS R
It's not goign to slap you in the face but it's there.

Ha, yeah. Really the whole experience was kind of unassuming. I drove three hours, tech had the car for 20 minutes, we chit chatted a bit after, I paid the money, and away I went.

Not like there's some big shiny widget to point at and ogle over. I guess I just hope he actually did something. :cautious:

I mashed highway 88 on the south end of Lake Tahoe headed home. The placebo was definitely tricking me... Maybe. I'm hoping I'll be able to tell the difference at the next autox event. I did get 2mpg more than average on the drive home... More than likely a coincidence, but I've never seen high 32 mpg's in this car since I've owned it, all calculated at the fill up.