GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Uniconnect cable honest opinions...

Frognutz

Car(s)
MK 7 GTI 2.0
I'd like to go stage 2 DSG (would also like opinions on that) and want to go stage 2 ECU possibly with IS38 but point being I want to do multiple tunes so I figured the cable would be a good investment...

mr wrong

Drag Racing Champion

I had their tune on my IS38 Alltrack (1.8 engine) and would sometimes go into limp mode under hard throttle and they blamed my APR DSG tune. Switched Cobb/EQT and never looked back.

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
I run the stage 2 uni tune on track and it's pretty reliable. I don't have the is38, but I imagine anything more aggressive than this would not be reliable under track conditions where you're pushing wot for 12-20 mins at a time. Water temps become an issue with the ac still in play and no dedicated air evac.

I can't speak for the 1.8 alltrack and mixed tunes noted above, but I know one person in a gti running is38 and it seems fairly reliable. I know he overheats faster on track than I do. He also doesn't have hood louvres though and those help a lot.

I'm sure it's not as much power as other tunes, so if you're after power and only doing highway pulls there are better options.

Frognutz

Car(s)
MK 7 GTI 2.0
I run the stage 2 uni tune on track and it's pretty reliable. I don't have the is38, but I imagine anything more aggressive than this would not be reliable under track conditions where you're pushing wot for 12-20 mins at a time. Water temps become an issue with the ac still in play and no dedicated air evac.

I can't speak for the 1.8 alltrack and mixed tunes noted above, but I know one person in a gti running is38 and it seems fairly reliable. I know he overheats faster on track than I do. He also doesn't have hood louvres though and those help a lot.

I'm sure it's not as much power as other tunes, so if you're after power and only doing highway pulls there are better options.
thanks for the feedback. Do you know anyone who has a stage 1+ ECU and stage 2 TCU? I plan on going stage 2 ecu in about 6 months but i wanna tune my dsg now and figure i could save money by going straight to stage 2.

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
thanks for the feedback. Do you know anyone who has a stage 1+ ECU and stage 2 TCU? I plan on going stage 2 ecu in about 6 months but i wanna tune my dsg now and figure i could save money by going straight to stage 2.
Yeah I did that for a couple weeks. No issues. I'm actually going back to stage 1 soon because I prefer the more climate friendly oem downpipe vs the crappy aftermarket cats. There's not that huge of a difference in butt feel between the stage 1 and 2 when driving around town. A bit more low end torque, but it's not a drastic difference of 2 to 1 vs oem to stage 1.

Frognutz

Car(s)
MK 7 GTI 2.0
Yeah I did that for a couple weeks. No issues. I'm actually going back to stage 1 soon because I prefer the more climate friendly oem downpipe vs the crappy aftermarket cats. There's not that huge of a difference in butt feel between the stage 1 and 2 when driving around town. A bit more low end torque, but it's not a drastic difference of 2 to 1 vs oem to stage 1.
cool thanks for the feedback

Frognutz

Car(s)
MK 7 GTI 2.0
overall did you like stage 2 DSG, anything you didnt like specifically

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
overall did you like stage 2 DSG, anything you didnt like specifically
Nope, it's totally fine. I don't rely on the ridiculously high rpm shift points, because the car makes virtually no more power after 5500rpm. It's better to just shift it yourself at 6k than to wait until 7k. The only benefit is when approaching a corner on track where shifting at 6k would mean you'd have to shift back down immediately after. Then you just run to rev limiter and bounce it for a sec and back on brake.

This is only applicable on track... If you're doing that on the street you're probably in "arrest me" territory.

Honestly, if going to is38 I would have a custom tune to make the same power as the is20, but have it done so it's a more linear approach to the power delivery. This will keep torque reasonable and keep the car from feeling dead up top. Would keep the heat down too.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
I have Uni software and have been running their various staged tunes for the last 5 years on my 1.8 wagon, it's been through the ringer with hundreds of drag runs and multiple track days. I have the cable. I have flashed some myself and b/c I paid my shop to do the 2 turbo upgrades (20 and 38), they are a Uni dealer and did the those flashes. The cable for $150 is somewhat of a waste if you have a dealer that will do it for less/free. I have never flashed back to stock b/c I have no emissions testing here or felt the need to muck around with the 91 file that I have access to. It can be used to log, the program works well but is proprietary and you can only view the data and send to Unitronic, not download/upload to datazap like other options (Simos Tools). The cable/program can also be used to clear active codes. Not really a huge value-add to me beyond the initial flash from home and of course not free so has to be added to the overall cost. I bought my original Stage 1+ ECU/Stage 1 TCU/cable for about $1100 on sale 5 years ago as a bundle deal and felt that was a reasonable value at the time vs. the other options I had and I have certainly got my money's worth out of all of it. The tunes have treated me well for the most part with some hiccups related to winter blend fuel quality. If I tuned my car today I'd likely go with one the Simos Tools tuners for max flexibility or maybe TuneZilla. Maybe even one of the Cobb tuners. Cost or re-sale was never really a primary issue for me as I keep my cars a long time.

The Stage 2 TCU tune gives some additional features over their Stage 1 TCU tune. For me, most importantly it's the no kick down in manual mode for track use that is key/worth it. Without logging I'm not sure if the clamping force is higher or not. You get 2 LC RPMs which is pretty worthless to me, I'm always launching at the highest RPM which is 4K on this one. Again, it's really about a few different features you need to determine if you want or not.