GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Uni IS20 vs APR IS20 for 1.8

Ton

Go Kart Newbie
The aptly named "Armchair Racer" is either a shill or a troll. Not worth the time of anyone on here. If there was an ignore user button I would hit it and break it off.

Attachments

• 1572481958388.jpg
    1572481958388.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 89

Sparky589

Drag Racing Champion
Must be the DSG vs the slushbox.
The thing is Melted is running a six speed manual conversion. The issue at hand is getting the boost by gear to play nice with the new transmission. UM provides tuning for manual alltracks as well, so goodness knows why they can't offer anything for this current predicament.

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i
What Sparky said. I know that the different manual transmissions require the different gear mapping, which is the reason I need a custom tune, but that's really such a small thing. I don't get it...

tplociniak

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 Alltrack SEL
Nope, contacted both of them and APR said they explicitly don't do custom tuning, and UM said they don't support the golf 1.8t, only the sportwagen 1.8t (still haven't figured out why companies do that because I'm certian our engines are essentially identical...)

I can speak a little bit on that, UM not supporting the 2wd models is because of the non dsg transmission, the ECU programming is tied in with that trans and there are specific torque settings in there. If you up power without tuning the trans for it at the same time, it gets all screwy and limits power. Just guessing here, but even if it's a manual the ecu's might have different codes. Or just protection on their part so a shop doesn't try to put their tune on an auto car that it's not intended for and give them a bad name.

UM, according to the shop I go to, is pretty open to custom tuning, through their network

Square1

Go Kart Champion
That's just the 100 octane tune. I've personally ran the APR 91 IS20 tune and the car seemed to run out of fuel or something after the turbo spooled. The car would just cut out. JB4 wasn't able to log the issue and I didn't have the APR dongle. Others have reported similar and needed to keep E mix low. Not a hardware issue because I have the same hardware with ED now and it runs.

Where you able to "edit" the cut outs out with the JB4? I am running APR 91 IS20 (on 93 or 94) and I noticed little minor hiccups when at WOT. I will have a spare JB4 in the spring.

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
I was having problems when running E30. I never had a problem with the APR 91 IS20 tune by itself.

Where you able to "edit" the cut outs out with the JB4? I am running APR 91 IS20 (on 93 or 94) and I noticed little minor hiccups when at WOT. I will have a spare JB4 in the spring.

TwinDad

Autocross Newbie
Armchair racer is an assclown. He asked me 50 questions about a fucking clamp to use on his downpipe and now he is an expert on the jb4. What he is doing is more dangerous than anything you can do on a jb4. He is running the 100 octane tune and using ethanol instead of 100 octane. 100 octane and e30 run at complete different lambda settings and he is at risk of leaning out every time he does this.
On top of this, the two cars he claim that blew up from using a jb4? One was no longer on the jb4 when it blew up. It was on Maestro with a seperate meth controller. The meth had a hiccup and boom. No jb4 involved. The other one was running APR 100 octane with e30, jb4 stack, meth injection and using golf R injectors on the stock hpfp when a cylinder went lean and melted a piston. That isnt exactly the jb4's fault. That car has since upgraded the hpfp and has now made countless passes down the track at mid 11's.
He does not experience the surging issues that other have seen with e30ish on the APR because he is running the 100 octane file. Not a 93 file with. A stack. The downside is what I stated above. The lambda is not set properly for e30. He should be running 11:1 for e30 instead of the low 12's he is running now for afr. He is running lean. Let him keep going so we can laugh our asses off when he goes boom and it's not the jb4's fault

TwinDad

Autocross Newbie
Oh, and I believe his name is Marc and he is a troll who was on other forums. I believe he has been banned from them. He goes by Jack Jones, 10secs4 etc... he has a history of just being a troll.

TwinDad

Autocross Newbie
You don't understand that e33 doesn't burn the same as 100 octane. You have no corrections because of the ethanol. It burns colder and has the higher octane to make for great timing. That is what it does. It requires more fuel for the proper lambda though. The ecu can only correct up to a certain point. The cylinder pressure you are running at that afr is fine for gasoline, but not e33. You are running too lean. It is only a matter of time. Have fun

TwinDad

Autocross Newbie
I don't need to check the description. He was jb4 and the BMS meth injection on that run. He then switched to Maestro and used a different meth controller. He was no longer on jb4 when the piston went boom. Like I said, he is a personal friend of mine. I think I know

Serotta27

Everyone...please understand that Armchair Racer is a know-it-all. I work in a skilled trade and come across these types of people all the time. The best way I have found to deal with them: nod your head, say m'kay, hit the ignore button, and move on with life. Don't feed into him because he continues to trash threads that could be extremely useful.