GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Uni IS20 vs APR IS20 for 1.8

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
That's just the 100 octane tune. I've personally ran the APR 91 IS20 tune and the car seemed to run out of fuel or something after the turbo spooled. The car would just cut out. JB4 wasn't able to log the issue and I didn't have the APR dongle. Others have reported similar and needed to keep E mix low. Not a hardware issue because I have the same hardware with ED now and it runs.

Not sure where you’re getting your information from but I’ve had zero issues running the APR IS20 100 octane program on E30-E35. No codes whatsoever and the car runs consistent 12.4’s at 108+ MPH.

Unitronic’s IS20 tune is new and seems to have misfire issues.

Armchair Racer

Go Kart Champion
That was probably related to the Mickey Mouse JB4, not the APR software. I’ve had zero issues with both 93 and 100 octane tunes.

That's just the 100 octane tune. I've personally ran the APR 91 IS20 tune and the car seemed to run out of fuel or something after the turbo spooled. The car would just cut out. JB4 wasn't able to log the issue and I didn't have the APR dongle. Others have reported similar and needed to keep E mix low. Not a hardware issue because I have the same hardware with ED now and it runs.

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i
Mickey mouse?...

Armchair Racer

Go Kart Champion
Yep, Mickey Mouse hack device used to fool the ECU. Many factory fail safes go out the window when you use a JB4. How many of the 1.8T engines that went boom were running a JB4....

Mickey mouse?...

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i
I'm not sure what you're on about, but okay. The JB4 is fantastic.

Armchair Racer

Go Kart Champion
At least three members on this forum blew up their 1.8Ts with a JB4 installed. Crxgator and Chuck G are two of them.

Let's see some proof.

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i
I think that's mostly because people who push their cars hard tend to have JB4's.

Armchair Racer

Go Kart Champion
That doesn’t make much sense. If you’re going to push your car you should get a proper tune without having to use a device that fools the ECU into running more boost.

I think that's mostly because people who push their cars hard tend to have JB4's.

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i
But what if you want to run more boost than what any off the shelf tune has to offer? And you're running methanol, and you're running ethanol, etc...

Faceman

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'17 GSW 4Mo
At least three members on this forum blew up their 1.8Ts with a JB4 installed. Crxgator and Chuck G are two of them.
I heard they had tires on their cars, too. What a coincidence.

Armchair Racer

Go Kart Champion
But what if you want to run more boost than what any off the shelf tune has to offer? And you're running methanol, and you're running ethanol, etc...

Then you contact the tuner and get a re-tune. That’s the right way. Installing a potentiometer that fools the ECU into thinking it’s running less boost than it actually is is asking for trouble especially when you’re talking about introducing things like ethanol and methanol.

Armchair Racer

Go Kart Champion
I heard they had tires on their cars, too. What a coincidence.

When you run a JB4 you’re faking parameters which the ECU uses to bail you out in certain situations. It makes sense their engines blew since they could not rely on these factory fail safes due to data being manipulated.