GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Uni IS20 vs APR IS20 for 1.8

llibgrebnek

Ready to race!
Has anyone ever compared or driven both? From what I understand and have experienced, the APR uses huge boost but doesn’t tolerate ethanol as well while Uni runs less boost but way more spark and may tolerate stacking and ethanol better.

I appreciate any insights you guy may have!

Thanks!

Bill

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Has anyone ever compared or driven both? From what I understand and have experienced, the APR uses huge boost but doesn’t tolerate ethanol as well while Uni runs less boost but way more spark and may tolerate stacking and ethanol better.

Thanks!

Bill

Shouldn't make much of a difference it's the tune that matters more.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
That's what the OP is asking...differences in tunes.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Panzer_Wagen

I drove both tunes. Aside from an issue that I had with Unitronics tune that may be exclusive to my car, I wasn't a fan of the Uni tune overall. Boost came on very hard and felt punchy. I'm running the APR tune now which is smooth and feels like a flat torque curve should.

llibgrebnek

Ready to race!
I drove both tunes. Aside from an issue that I had with Unitronics tune that may be exclusive to my car, I wasn't a fan of the Uni tune overall. Boost came on very hard and felt punchy. I'm running the APR tune now which is smooth and feels like a flat torque curve should.

Boost came on hard like all or nothing ? Was it more boost at high rpm vs low rpm?

GeorgeTDI

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Golf Mk6 TDI
Unitronic does have some dyno graphs on their site and they show exactly such a torque curve, rising abruptly and peaking around ~2800 rpm, after which a smooth plateau starts. Do they accurately represent the behavior of the car ?

Last edited:

Panzer_Wagen

Unitronic does have some dyno graphs on their site and they show exactly such a torque curve, rising abruptly and peaking around ~2800 rpm, after which a smooth plateau starts. Do they accurately represent the behavior of the car ?

Yea pretty accurate. Once the turbo spools at around 3000rpm it takes off but under that seemed laggy. Maybe not the right term but it wasn't as flat of a torque curve as the APR tune. Personally I wasn't a fan as it felt punchy and frantic when really on it whereas the APR tune feels more progressive. I can see why people would like the Uni tune, it certainly seemed like a hoot, especially if you're on track and constantly on boost.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
You guys do realize that the APR dyno graphs essentially look the same? All tuned small turbo cars will have a similar power band - quick spool (the abrupt jump in power) with a level bit for a so many K RPM then once the engine starts to consume the boost at higher RPMs as the turbo can't keep the pressurizing the system and the power drops off. I'd say APR and Uni are both going to be similar hear and keep in mind that APR will have higher boost numbers.

Fowvaydriver

Ready to race!

Thanks!

Bill

I am running apr tune/tcu tune with is20 turbo stacked with jb4. I have zero issues. Smooth power across full rpm range. Great gas mileage when not driving aggressively.
My tune is an 87 is12 tune. When I run my custom jb4 map I take full advantage of is20 turbo. When I turn off jb4 i have a less aggressive tune.
This works great... if I want to go really fast I turn on jb4 when I am just puttering around I turn it off.
My wife cannot even tell I have done anything to the car until she gets onto the highway then she notices.

Square1

Go Kart Champion
I haven't driven both. Here's the results from an APR 91 IS20 tune and a bunch of bolt ons (intake, downpipe, exhaust, intercooler, etc..). It drives well and it's a really fun car to drive. 275/325.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

llibgrebnek

Ready to race!
Cool! What would the conversion to engine HP end up giving? According to APR website, the 91 AKI tune is already over 300 HP and with your bolt one, it will be even better!

Square1

Go Kart Champion
I'm not really too sure. I dynoed it just for a personal reference because the car was supposed to go back to stock. I dynoed my 210hp GTI S bone stock and with a Neuspeed power module on the same dyno. It makes for a good comparison.
Stock 215/275
Neuspeed 245/325
I find numbers are generally irrelevant unless you have something to compare it to. FWIW the TSI will run down a stock GTI and R and numerous other vehicles. I should throw the dragy in the car for real world numbers.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Armchair Racer

Go Kart Champion
Not sure where you’re getting your information from but I’ve had zero issues running the APR IS20 100 octane program on E30-E35. No codes whatsoever and the car runs consistent 12.4’s at 108+ MPH.

Unitronic’s IS20 tune is new and seems to have misfire issues.

Thanks!

Bill