GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Underseat Drawer - removal and fitting DIY

PRRGG1

Drag Racing Champion
UPDATED IN NEXT POST!

Has anyone installed a drawer kit on an MK-7 with partially powered/heated seats like in my 2021 GTI SE (USA)?

I'm finally trying to install the ECS Tuning drawer kit and am having a terrible time. It's not that seat components block the install, it's that something isn't lining up.

You can't insert the rear drawer housing tabs without dealing with the clip on the side of the housing that clips over the curvy rod (as seen in the blue circle in the first photo below). The only way I can find to do it is to remove the T30 Hex Head screw as seen in the second photo and ease the curvy rod down while you're inserting the housing tabs and setting the housing's slide clip over the curvy rod.

With the drawer housing in place, the rod is now pulled away from it's mount perhaps 1/8" and the holes don't align. :( Something's just not lining up and I can't figure it out. I shouldn't have to force anything. Any help appreciated.

1657990544036.png

1657990675828.png

Last edited:

PRRGG1

Drag Racing Champion
Yay -- job done. (y)

I noticed that when I pressed up in the area where the front mounting screw would go on the door side, things began to align better. When I tried to turn in the mounting screw, the speed nut had shifted away from its spot, so I had to take everything down again to properly place the speed nut. I again set the drawer housing in place while moving the loosened curvy rod to fit in the side of the housing. The magic happened when I tightened the mounting screw and things pulled into alignment. The T30 Hex Head screw that holds the curvy rod turned in square and true without binding.

Drawer is now in place, as is the front seat with all of its functionality intact. Hooray.

Yep, the drawer is a puny thing, but I think it's handy in my wife's '17 Golf and I wanted one too. I'm not much of a mechanic and admit to impatience, but this wasn't a quick and simple install. Even with the seat tipped back, visibility is difficult, even with good lighting. Like most things, I'd be a lot more knowledgeable if I had to do it again.

Last edited:

Genebaby

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2020 Golf GTI
Welcome to the club. I remember it being quite a hassle, but I couldn't recall how to help with the issue you were having.

I've only got it on the passenger side and I don't think it's ever been used but I'm glad it's there.

I think I usually forget about it actually, ha ha.

PRRGG1

Drag Racing Champion
I ended up placing some microfiber towels in the drawer. The depth is so shallow that even my eyeglass case won't fit. :)

The only decontented feature that I still lack is a liner that fits in the spare tire well and surrounding area. It provides a little extra sound insulation. I read somewhere though that it fits under the body panels, so is really hard to install. I may just forget this item.

bobloblawGTI

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
19 GTI SE 6MT
I ended up placing some microfiber towels in the drawer. The depth is so shallow that even my eyeglass case won't fit. :)

The only decontented feature that I still lack is a liner that fits in the spare tire well and surrounding area. It provides a little extra sound insulation. I read somewhere though that it fits under the body panels, so is really hard to install. I may just forget this item.
Really? It looks like it just sits on top of everything but I haven't looked into it that closely. On my list for re-contenting my 7.5 but shipping for that thing is $$$

PRRGG1

Drag Racing Champion
Last edited: