GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Underdrive crank pulley.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
You might be right, I'm not an expert on these engines, but I do know they're finnicky.

What specifically will be underdriven and by how much? That might be a good place to start when evaluating if it's worth it.

I don't know. That's why I posted this to find out. I only asked because of a few other cars that I used one on and liked it. I'll probably end up getting the Fluidampr pulley since I'm most interested in longevity.

777-300ER

Go Kart Newbie
The oil pump is not run by the serpentine belt.

Generally underdrive pullies are used in applications with loads of parasitic losses (waterpump, vaccum pump, power steering pump, etc). These cars only run the AC compressor and the alternator on the serpentine belt, and both are clutched in one way or another. No real reason for it if there is 0 benefit.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
The oil pump is not run by the serpentine belt.

Generally underdrive pullies are used in applications with loads of parasitic losses (waterpump, vaccum pump, power steering pump, etc). These cars only run the AC compressor and the alternator on the serpentine belt, and both are clutched in one way or another. No real reason for it if there is 0 benefit.

You're right. The only benefit would be quicker throttle response. They claim improved fuel mileage but that would be negligible. I'm guessing the quicker throttle response would be the same as reducing unsprung weight by using lighter wheels and rotors.

777-300ER

Go Kart Newbie
You're right. The only benefit would be quicker throttle response. They claim improved fuel mileage but that would be negligible. I'm guessing the quicker throttle response would be the same as reducing unsprung weight by using lighter wheels and rotors.
On this platform not even. If you want better throttle response install a pedal tuner.

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
curiosity?

why would this increase chance of crank walk?

why would a fluid damper pulley help that?

w/o me googling I assume FD pulley is some type of dampened pulley?

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
curiosity?

why would this increase chance of crank walk?

why would a fluid damper pulley help that?

w/o me googling I assume FD pulley is some type of dampened pulley?

Fluidampr is a dampened pulley but it's supposed to be the best. I don't understand how it could help with crank walk either unless the better dampening helps.

https://fluidampr.com/

launchd

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2023 M3LR, 2021 A7
This is what I was told when I looked into this too... Seems to jive with all the research (Google) I've done myself.

(For our cars) the stock crank pulley is engineered at a certain weight to achieve a harmonic balance of the engine through it's operating range. Replacing this stock pulley with one that is lighter will throw off this harmonic balance which, in turn, will increase vibration, cause false knock and pull timing. Fluidampr's solution (for our cars) was designed to reduce vibration (dampening) AND increase performance, making it safe and worthwhile (opinion) if you are looking to upgrade.

Reading the description here may be helpful. They're either really good at selling their product or they really know what they're talking about. Considered it, still on the fence myself.

Quezno

Car(s)
2016 MK7 GTI
I think you're making a good decision.

I had the Fluidampr pulley installed today and can not be more satisfied with the outcome. The car never felt comfortable in first and second gear, compared to three and up. Now, it feels consistent all the way through. It used to rev-up fast, making the shift to second feel forced, and if I did not rev-match/quick shift it would be an awkward transition to third gear. With the damper installed it feels smooth whether I'm looking for parking, hitting stop signs/lights, cruising around, or punching it. At no point does it feel forced or labored. The slower rev-drop makes it easy to paddle through the gears hitting powerband with ease.