GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

U.S. vs Euro spec GTI

danmeister

I wonder if the revised APR tune for U.S. cars now accounts for the differences between U.S. spec and Euro spec fueling (DI vs Port/DI combo) and other emissions related tuning differences. The software was originally developed using a European model GTI, likely to get a head start on developing the tune and being first to market. Maybe the Euro GTI fueling differences (Port Injection for low load/rpm operation, DI for higher engine performance) were at least partly responsible for the abrupt 1-2 gear DSG shifts reported by some original APR tuned GTI owners in the U.S.

It is unfortunate that VW (and other manufacturers) cannot develop one product that meets all of their markets' emission standards and regulations (TDI is a great example). This also means that aftermarket products, including ECU tunes, have to be developed and tailored to their individual markets. Props to APR for addressing any and all customer feedback and issuing tune revisions in a very timely manner. Now we just need a reliable turbo setup to provide a higher comfort level for getting Mk7 GTIs tuned.

James75

Go Kart Champion
Although tuning is popular in Europe - there isn't the same mentality/culture that exists in the US.

In the UK, most buyers of their GTI either with or without the PP will be comparing it to a number of rivals, Focus ST, Megane RS, Astra VXR and others simply buy the vehicle and drive it as is. Modification in that sense doesn't enter the UK market in the same way.

US Buyers tend to modify from the off, in fact I have often joked that they should sell a kit form GTI to the US Market because most buyers seem to dismantle it on buying it anyway. It's just a different culture, there is a large tuning community here but British buyers just tend to run with what they buy.

Most UK buyers in theory should not be touching a tuned Golf, in practice it depends on your dealer as i know many will.

I guess in the UK there is less chance to use much more power, it depends where you live but the UK is a place of wide open roads.

But most buyers of a UK GTI would not think about tuning, that mentality of change, modding and tuning from the get go, i think it is fair to say, doesn't exist in the UK in the same way.

CarlosCanizares

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf R
I wonder if the revised APR tune for U.S. cars now accounts for the differences between U.S. spec and Euro spec fueling (DI vs Port/DI combo) and other emissions related tuning differences. The software was originally developed using a European model GTI, likely to get a head start on developing the tune and being first to market. Maybe the Euro GTI fueling differences (Port Injection for low load/rpm operation, DI for higher engine performance) were at least partly responsible for the abrupt 1-2 gear DSG shifts reported by some original APR tuned GTI owners in the U.S.

It is unfortunate that VW (and other manufacturers) cannot develop one product that meets all of their markets' emission standards and regulations (TDI is a great example). This also means that aftermarket products, including ECU tunes, have to be developed and tailored to their individual markets. Props to APR for addressing any and all customer feedback and issuing tune revisions in a very timely manner. Now we just need a reliable turbo setup to provide a higher comfort level for getting Mk7 GTIs tuned.

It's really tough to develop one product to meet ALL markets. All they (manufacturers and tuners alike) they can really do is adapt.

The Porsche 959 was never allowed into Canada because of the front bumper during crash testing, I believe. Just an example...

Whackamac

Ready to race!
All the GTI needs is a little lovin' from COBB.

Are you hearing this COBB???? If you developed for the GTI, I would be all over it like a fly on sh!t.

the bruce

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI Mk.V 2008
I wonder if the revised APR tune for U.S. cars now accounts for the differences between U.S. spec and Euro spec fueling (DI vs Port/DI combo) and other emissions related tuning differences. T
I don't believe the differences are due to emissions. The US spec EA888 3G engine
is a simplified version of its European counterpart. The main reason is cost related.
Car prices are lower in the US. VW just need to safe money for that reason.
The second reason is fuel consumption (mileage). Due to higher fuel prices most
Europeans emphasize much more on fuel consumption than Americans do. What
else is new?