GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Tyrolsports Deadset REAR kit review - mk7 GTI - 4/5 stars review

billbadass

Drag Racing Champion
I couldn't find any reviews for the REAR only version of the Tyroldeadset kit so thought I'd provide this to help others

this is what i bought

http://www.tyrolsport.com/suspensio...eadset-kit-rear-awd-mk5/6/7/mqb/cc/a3/s3/rs3/

4/5 is my rating - good cheap mod that makes noticable difference
one point removed for zero instructions was a bummer, and the website pdf instructions are for mk6 and so fail to mention that there are 6 total bolts on mk7 rear subframe, in addition to the four bolts that this kit removes, there are also two smaller bolts above the control arms between the two subframe pieces that you also have to remove, so this install took me maybe 1 hour because i couldn't figure out why the subframe wasn't dropping, when if I had known about those two other bolts it would have been 15 minutes install

the install was pretty easy, I'd suggest not completely removing all the bolts though, just loosen the four large bolts, and then remove the two small bolts higher up closer to the wheel, then do the big four bolts one at a time and then tighten them all at the end together, that way if the big bolts are never all out then the subframe can't shift a little, and then you dont' have to pry the subframe back in place to get the bolts lined up perfectly.

This is super easy though install, much easier than even a rear sway bar, which itself is easy

Certainly made a noticeable difference but only very mild improvement. If you've done the rear hatch brace, I'd say this is about 1/3 more of the same kind of improvement you feel from a rear hatch brace or from the front strut brace. I didn't realize before that a lot of the squeeks and groans my car makes over driveways was actually the subframe shifting in the front/rear so after installing this the car feels stronger and noticeably stiffer and more taught with almost no squeeks/groans when driving over speed bumps at an angle or when pulling into a driveway. It's hard to explain but it just makes the car feel a little better, and it allows the shocks to do their job better too. The car also goes over pot holes better so ride quality improved, and in the turns the rear tracks a bit more steady. No downside of any kind that I could tell. It's too bad that VW doesn't just put these on the car stock to be honest given would cost them probably $0.50 or something to make these at scale.

Given the choice I'd do the ECS underbody rear control arm braces and LEYO braces over this, those braces made more of a difference, but for $100 and 30-40 minutes of work I'd recommend the rear tyrolsport deadset kit for sure

my car is still on stock springs/shocks so if you had coilovers maybe you'd notice this even more.

EDIT: if you're considering buying the Tyrolsport rear kit I'd recommend getting the ECS one instead based on what seems like obviously better design, half the price and it comes with instructions

http://bd8ba3c866c8cbc330ab-7b26c6f..._Subframe_Locking_Collar_Kit_Installation.pdf

I haven't had my front Tyrolsport kits installed yet but looking forward to that one, have heard that makes a big difference

Last edited:

B95zP

Ready to race!
I'm debating this for my R. 034 rear subframe inserts arrive tomorrow so I'm not sure the two will play nice. However I got a buddy who said he could widen the counter bore hole in the inserts to fit the deadset collars.

Raguvian

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GSW 4MO 6MT
So this is a really dumb question, but how does one adjust the camber in the rear? Is it just with the rear arms on eccentrics or something? I know on the front you can get camber by shifting the subframe, but was wondering how the rear is adjusted since the deadset kit seems like it would be a cool modification to do while installing a rear swaybar or something.

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK5 Best GTI
wow if this can cure the rear creaks i get over driveways/speedbumps im in!

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK5 Best GTI
it's a real thing. there are rubber bushings (or just recesses that the bolts are supposed to fill but dont) and these collar kits truly help. i had the front deadset kit on my mk6 and seriously made such an improvement in everything - nvh, road compliance, throttle response, and handling/braking.

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
I have the Tyrol sport front kit, and held off a year before installing due to questions about benefit and alignment issues after install but from my experience now I would do it in the first year of owning a new GTI/R. Do you feel it in driving? Hard to tell as I have many other mods that also impact this but the alignment was not an issue with all being even. It is a mod that works with other mods and takes looseness out of the picture. The design is sound and looking at it more it makes mechanical sense if the goal is to have a secure centered connection point. One item some asked is if this connection is more solid, and one hits a pot hole will it cause damage to something else and not just move the subframe? Maybe, but my experience with pot holes is the wheels are the weak link so far for me.
I think I will get the rear kit to just finish the package. I have a rear brace to install so these could go in at the same time. Thanks OP for info.

Question - Front requires alignment check after install.
Do they suggest this on either Tyrol Sport of ECS Tuning for the rear kit? Have not looked into it but wanted to ask.
I think for peace of mind, always a good option to check.
Thanks.

mk7_bk

Autocross Champion
I have the Tyrol sport front kit, and held off a year before installing due to questions about benefit and alignment issues after install but from my experience now I would do it in the first year of owning a new GTI/R. Do you feel it in driving? Hard to tell as I have many other mods that also impact this but the alignment was not an issue with all being even. It is a mod that works with other mods and takes looseness out of the picture. The design is sound and looking at it more it makes mechanical sense if the goal is to have a secure centered connection point. One item some asked is if this connection is more solid, and one hits a pot hole will it cause damage to something else and not just move the subframe? Maybe, but my experience with pot holes is the wheels are the weak link so far for me.
I think I will get the rear kit to just finish the package. I have a rear brace to install so these could go in at the same time. Thanks OP for info.

Question - Front requires alignment check after install.
Do they suggest this on either Tyrol Sport of ECS Tuning for the rear kit? Have not looked into it but wanted to ask.
I think for peace of mind, always a good option to check.
Thanks.
their install pdf for ecs rear locking collar doesn't mention an alignment

sandmangti

Autocross Newbie
Question?
On Tyrolsport the price is $89 and the bushings look like copper.
On Urotuning they are $119 and look like brass.
Older/newer designs? I am sure same design but brass looks like the front kit I have.