GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

TYRES LOSING PRESSURE?

alan h

Ready to race!
Morning All,

A guy at work rang me yesterday and said my front drivers side tyre was looking low, front two tyres are approx 10 weeks old so panicked in case i had a puncture and anew tyre was required. i took the car to the garage over the road who checked it out, report came back tyre fine no punctures, slashes, gaps around valve or bead/rim etc... they re pressurised it for me and off i went.

Another guy has an R and he was saying he has taken his to VW 4 times now for the front tyres losing pressure for no reason each time they have found nothing wrong?

Has anyone else encountered this at all?

TheWombat

Go Kart Champion
Not on my R or GTI but on a Ford Fusion this was an issue. I never did figure out what the problem was, as the tires checked out. Bad stem valve, maybe?

Itzed

Passed Driver's Ed
I had this issue with a Legacy I drove for many years, with at least four different sets of tires. One particular set of Dunlops were the worst. Some tires would seal around the bead much better than others. The leak was so slow it would be impossible to detect, but it was definitely the bead.

alan h

Ready to race!
its definitely only since the mich pilot 4s have gone on, i'll try and find what tyres the R has on, though a different wheel

must be very slow, tyre indicator didnt flag it either and has done in the past

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
You don't carry a tire gauge in your car? There is no such thing as not being able to detect a leak, no matter how small. Did the shop remove the wheel, pump up the tire to the max PSI on the sidewall and immerse it in a vat of water?

Another guy has an R and he was saying he has taken his to VW 4 times now for the front tyres losing pressure for no reason each time they have found nothing wrong?
Tires don't loose pressure "without a reason". If they do, there's a
reason. The first question is, do they actually loose pressure?
For this reason, you need to check pressure frequently, every two
days or once a week at least.
There are many possible reasons, as mentioned a bad stem valve,
dirt on the wheel hump when mounting, but first check out if you
actually have an issue!

Itzed

Passed Driver's Ed
I can tell that some of the people that are replying to this thread have never had a tire that doesn't seal well a round a particular wheel. It can leak as little as a pound or two per week, and that can be impossible to detect in a water bath. Another thing that frequently happens is that the tires do not leak when they are warm or have been driven, so taking them someplace to have them tested will not reveal leak. And in the weather that we are having now, which gets cooler at night, that is when it will lose a little bit of air. I went through this very frustrating exercise several times, and nobody is going to find a leak when it is so minor that you were only losing a pound or two of air per week.

alan h

Ready to race!
i'll keep an eye on it over the next week or two. i dont carry a tyre gauge, 15 years of driving i have needed to and the car has the monitoring system? that said i'll pick one up regardless to keep tabs on it. i dont know how they checked it, i dropped it off and went back to work and picked the car back up again. Understand the answer 'for no reason' everything happens for a reason this occasion no obvious reason i guess.

letting the air out did cross my mind but its at work with CCTV they'd be crazy to try it. i'll position the caps a certain way and see if they have moved

White Baron

Passed Driver's Ed
No mention of the effect of temperature change here on tire pressure.....

Most car guys know to check the pressure often, say every 2 weeks, especially when the temperature drops.