GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Tyre/Wheel insurance

santiagopilgrim

Ready to race!
If you claim for a damaged tyre, would they provide two replacements? Or just replaced the damaged tyre alone?

Would they replace both sides but count it as two claims? (I get up to 10 claims).

Any insight would be good, thanks!

pipsyp

Ready to race!
They'll just replace the damaged tyre I expect.

Where that gets interesting is on a VAQ/Haldex equipped car where variance in tread depth between the left and right axles can cause a problem.

Personally as long as you take care of your car I dont think tyre/wheel cover is really necessary. Alloy smart repairs can be done well and cheaply anyway and you at least then get to choose who you use. Also Id wager if the wheel was too damaged to smart repair the insurance wouldnt cover a new alloy anyway. Might do but I doubt it.

The only extra I would ever take with a new car is RTI GAP cover as that could prove invaluable should the car get written off whilst in finance, though arguably you could get this after buying the car elsewhere. Ive always done it via the dealership as they service the policy so would be easier to deal with them in the event of an issue.

Lifeshine is a waste of money, AutoGym gear is good but its way overpriced...only worth doing if they throw it in at massive discount or free. I think Id probably look to get mine done by a detailer with G Techniq stuff next time I buy new.

santiagopilgrim

Ready to race!
Thanks Pipsyp.

I have GAP insurance, wheel/alloy insurance, and also a scratch/light damage insurance all included with the car, due to some negotiating when I bought it.

I've scuffed my alloy and I am going to claim on it, that's what got me thinking about the tyre question. The policy says that if they can't repair the alloy they will replace it up to £150, being the stock 17 inch alloys, I'm hoping they will cost under £150 :)

When I phone them for the wheel claim I will enquire about the tyres and post their answer on here.

vwman

Go Kart Champion
Thanks Pipsyp.

I have GAP insurance, wheel/alloy insurance, and also a scratch/light damage insurance all included with the car, due to some negotiating when I bought it.

I've scuffed my alloy and I am going to claim on it, that's what got me thinking about the tyre question. The policy says that if they can't repair the alloy they will replace it up to £150, being the stock 17 inch alloys, I'm hoping they will cost under £150 :)

When I phone them for the wheel claim I will enquire about the tyres and post their answer on here.

Hopefully they will repair it as a new stock alloy (if its the standard 'Dijon' fitted to the GT) will cost at least £250 + each to replace.

santiagopilgrim

Ready to race!
Hopefully they will repair it as a new stock alloy (if its the standard 'Dijon' fitted to the GT) will cost at least £250 + each to replace.

Ah brilliant, I was wondering what they were called! Let's hope for a repair then... although even contributing £150 for a new one is a massive help.

santiagopilgrim

Ready to race!
Ah brilliant, I was wondering what they were called! Let's hope for a repair then... although even contributing £150 for a new one is a massive help.

I called the insurance last night and made the claim for my alloy. They will send a mobile repairer to attempt the repair. A bit reluctant to have anyone that isn't VW working on my car but I suppose it's only a wheel!

Regarding the tyre, they only cover the damaged tyre, you'd have to match the other side with a new one yourself.

Will post results from the alloy repair when it's done.

vwman

Go Kart Champion
The majority of dealers seem to use Mobile repairers to come in and do minor alloy and minor paint scuffs/dents anyway so don't worry too much.