Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
‘21 GLI Autobahn GLI
Post #1. New member. So...

Charlotte.:R

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'18 Golf R 6MT
Almost ever insurance company will try to use aftermarket or used parts if they are available. Unfortunately, the bodyshop I use can never the correct aftermarket or used parts, so the insurance company pays for new.

State Farm was subject to a class action lawsuit on used parts years ago and no longer uses them.

johnnloki

Drag Racing Champion
Posted highway speeds around here is 100km/h. (so, 62.)
At 50 km/hr over (so, 93.25 mph total) you lose your license for a week, car gets impounded for a week, it's a 2k minimum fine, plus the 'convicted of stunt driving' insurance impacts that lasts for years in one of North America's worst places to live for insurance premiums...
Normal highway speeds around here were 125.
Enter: Covid-19 lockdown and radars becoming apprehensive about pulling speeders over for all but the most heinous of speeds.
Normal highway speed became 145. About a third of us didn't get the memo that covid lockdown was mostly lifted back in July, lol.

wizmk7gti

Passed Driver's Ed
Grew up on Long Island. Drivers always fill any gap and drive as fast as they can. Or slightly faster. Up state on NY thru- way people tended to stay right except to pass. Living in S.C. now for 27 years ,drivers ten d to view the left lane as the " Express Lane" meaning "I don't want to deal with all that passing so I'll just stay here, creating a rolling road block "because it's my road too"! But if I can I too 14 over or the speed of traffic in the left lane.

wizmk7gti

Passed Driver's Ed
I also find that if you stay out of the left lane you mostly avoid scrutiny. Unless you're all alone.

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
7-11 rule. 7 on residential, 11 on highways. I do the occasional pull or will follow someone driving fast in front of me, but I don't cruise above 10ish over.
Ps this thread should be in off-topic

This is more or less what I do.
When I hit the highways, say to head beach bound here in NJ - I usually set the cruise control somewhere between 5 over but always less than 10, get in the right lane and let everyone pass me.

Baka

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2014 GTI PP
Motorway (interstate) limit here is 70mph, normally I don't go over an indicated 90, as that will usually avoid you getting any points on your license and you'll get sent on a 'speed awareness course' instead.

I try to never go over 100 actual, as that guarantees you a day in court. But everyone doing 90 is pretty ubiquitous, I've been driving 20 years and have never got a ticket.

johnnloki

Drag Racing Champion
Motorway (interstate) limit here is 70mph, normally I don't go over an indicated 90, as that will usually avoid you getting any points on your license and you'll get sent on a 'speed awareness course' instead.

I try to never go over 100 actual, as that guarantees you a day in court. But everyone doing 90 is pretty ubiquitous, I've been driving 20 years and have never got a ticket.

So the famed speed camera system in the UK is just the inner cities then, eh? That's good to hear. Was always paranoid about renting a car on a UK trip due to them.

I did set my "snow tire chime" to 140km/hr on day two of owning the DSG GTI. My manual 04 TDI sounds a certain way at certain revs, which means I can manage my speed by ear. Not the case with the GTI, especially when she was new. Got up to license losing speeds way to quickly and stealthily on me.

Baka

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2014 GTI PP
So the famed speed camera system in the UK is just the inner cities then, eh? That's good to hear. Was always paranoid about renting a car on a UK trip due to them.

I did set my "snow tire chime" to 140km/hr on day two of owning the DSG GTI. My manual 04 TDI sounds a certain way at certain revs, which means I can manage my speed by ear. Not the case with the GTI, especially when she was new. Got up to license losing speeds way to quickly and stealthily on me.

Hey, I was curious where you'd stand so had a look, apparently due to a quirk of English law, they literally can't chase you for camera fines.

Jumpy

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
'18 GTI Autobahn
10-15 over usually. I believe speeding is okay as long as it's safe to do so. I wish we had something like the Autobahn here. That approach is superior.

Jumpy

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
'18 GTI Autobahn
I think every driver in PA is a left lane driver. The best is when you come up on someone in the left lane and they move over for you (to the empty right lane), then you pass and see them get back into the left lane for no reason. I don't like passing on the right, but PA drivers make it damn near impossible.
Same shit in TX. It always amazes me when I'm driving behind someone for more than 10 seconds in the left lane, they clearly see me, and they can clearly move to the middle lane. WTF? I always stay behind them for a full minute until I begrudgingly pass on the right, and I try to make it very clear that I'm annoyed.

Sleep7R

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2019 Golf R DSG
I live in California and typically cruise at 80. Most people here do the same, and even faster, when there's no traffic.

If I go out of state, though, I drop it down to 70.

I did get a ticket once for doing 75 in a 70.

johnnloki

Drag Racing Champion
Same shit in TX. It always amazes me when I'm driving behind someone for more than 10 seconds in the left lane, they clearly see me, and they can clearly move to the middle lane. WTF? I always stay behind them for a full minute until I begrudgingly pass on the right, and I try to make it very clear that I'm annoyed.

I will almost always completely blow the doors off them in the right hand lane, get in front, slow down (without hitting the brakes) then hit the washer fluid. Repeatedly.

If you're in the left lane, driving the exact same speed as the people in the lane to your right, you're an asshole. If you're ever passed by 3 people in a row on the right hand side, you're an asshole. By the same token, if you pass more than 3 people on the right hand side, you're an asshole. Simple rules to live by.