GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Tweeter Crossover - Heat dissipation

gopi_rm

Passed Driver's Ed
Hi, I need your advice.

Recently I have replaced the stock front speakers & tweeters in my Golf Mk7 with Gladen M Line system. It comes with a crossover for the tweeter (see pictures).

The crossover is enclosed in a thicker plastic transparent sheet housing from the factory and both ends were cables coming in and going out are open.

While installing it, I wrapped the plastic sheet housing with Tesa Fleece Fabric Tape so that it would not rattle inside A pillar where it is tucked in. When wrapping I also wrapped the openings on both ends without thinking about heat dissipation. Now I am concerned whether the wrapping would block the heat dissipation and damage the crossover.

In general whether the crossover for tweeter would get hot when active and if so why it was housed inside a thick plastic sheet instead of a proper plastic housing?

Attachments

• Crossover.jpg
    Crossover.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 57
  • FleeceTape.jpg
    FleeceTape.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 64

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
The don't get that hot...the sand cast resistor might in the far extremes of usage get warm....its only 12V by whatever the wattage of the speakers or the amp that's driving them..& all you are doing is blocking the low frequencies, so the only "draw" is on the high frequencies...

gopi_rm

Passed Driver's Ed
The don't get that hot...the sand cast resistor might in the far extremes of usage get warm....its only 12V by whatever the wattage of the speakers or the amp that's driving them..& all you are doing is blocking the low frequencies, so the only "draw" is on the high frequencies...

Thanks for the reply mate. I also found out since I did not cut out the red wire across the resistor (for 3dB attenuation before tweeter), the resistor will never be active.