GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

TVS DQ381 Tune Review

RabbitTwo

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI Rabbit
The OP hasn't been in the forum for over a year.
All good. I have been reading up on the DQ380/381 (7-speed) DSG transmissions and there is a lot of negative feedback out there about the factory TCU software. Having come from a DQ250 (6-speed) DSG gearbox in a MK6 GTI that I put 250,000 kms on, there is certainly a difference in shift quality and how each transmission performs. Drive Modes aside, the 7-speed does not feel as crisp from the factory. It feels more like a conventional automatic transmission and in some cases (particularly 1-2-3 shifts) almost like a CVT.

Having logged 130,000 kms in two different MK7.5 GTIs with 7-speeds (and brief ownership of a 7.5R), the differences in the DQ381 vs. DQ250 stand out clearly. I am very particular about maintenance so none of this can be attributed to a lack of service. I change fluid / filter every 40-50,000 kms regardless of longer recommended intervals.

The good news is that a simple google search for ‘DQ381 problems’ is what led me to the OP’s post, along with many others in different forums. I happened to notice many people in Europe mentioning TVS Engineering and rave reviews of how their TCU software completely transforms the DQ380/381. The 7-speed DSG has been out now for several years in different markets outside of North America, and TVS seems to be the leader in TCU software.

I have also read that other world-class tuning shops like Harding Performance in Australia use TVS software. Hopefully this post helps shine some light on things for anyone out there experiencing odd behaviour from their 7-speed DSG. I will be going with a TVS Stage II+ map and will report back on how it performs.

scrllock

Autocross Champion
The factory DQ381 tune is boring. Cobb/EQT are definitely a step up, UM's is even more aggressive (and certainly has the DSG farts--this is a function of the ECU tune anyway). Throw some poly drivetrain mounts in as well and "crisp" will be an understatement.

Safe to say TVS is going to blow the typical bolt-on vendor tunes out of the water (APR, IE, 034, Unitronic, etc.). This is their bread and butter, not selling plastic-molded piping.

RabbitTwo

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI Rabbit
The factory DQ381 tune is boring. Cobb/EQT are definitely a step up, UM's is even more aggressive (and certainly has the DSG farts--this is a function of the ECU tune anyway). Throw some poly drivetrain mounts in as well and "crisp" will be an understatement.

Safe to say TVS is going to blow the typical bolt-on vendor tunes out of the water (APR, IE, 034, Unitronic, etc.). This is their bread and butter, not selling plastic-molded piping.
Agree. Appreciate the feedback @scrllock I have read just about every VW thread I could find, and have been reading up on the MQB Audi tunes as well just to gather more info. By all accounts, there is no doubt in my mind that TVS is the best in the world at tuning VAG DCTs.

I just emailed Niek at TVS this morning to work out a couple last details and they are sending me the Stage 2+ map and the personal flasher straight from the Netherlands.

RabbitTwo

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI Rabbit
Order has been placed for both the TVS personal flasher and Stage 2+ DSG map. I have not requested any changes to the map.

The TVS map will be flashed onto my stock 2019 GTI. I am specifically doing the DSG tune before any ECU tuning or engine modifications, so the review is based purely on the TVS Stage 2+ map vs. factory software.

Shoutout to Niek at TVS who has been phenomenal in answering all of my questions. With the time difference between Canada and the Netherlands, it has been a cool experience waking up to emails from across the pond full of great info.

As mentioned, I have not requested any revisions to the Stage 2+ map so all parameters (Auto Upshift M mode, WOT shift rpm, Launch rpm) will all remain as they come from TVS. Hopefully this gives us all an idea of just how good their base map is.

Stay tuned!

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
Order has been placed for both the TVS personal flasher and Stage 2+ DSG map. I have not requested any changes to the map.

The TVS map will be flashed onto my stock 2019 GTI. I am specifically doing the DSG tune before any ECU tuning or engine modifications, so the review is based purely on the TVS Stage 2+ map vs. factory software.

Shoutout to Niek at TVS who has been phenomenal in answering all of my questions. With the time difference between Canada and the Netherlands, it has been a cool experience waking up to emails from across the pond full of great info.

As mentioned, I have not requested any revisions to the Stage 2+ map so all parameters (Auto Upshift M mode, WOT shift rpm, Launch rpm) will all remain as they come from TVS. Hopefully this gives us all an idea of just how good their base map is.

Stay tuned!
Ok. Staying tuned. Can’t wait for results

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R

Stay tuned!

Do you mind sharing what that is costing you?

RabbitTwo

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI Rabbit
So that’s about 1,040$ eagle dollars
The fun part is figuring out how to do the international money transfer. I felt like a villain in a James Bond movie entering IBAN and Swift Code numbers into my mobile banking app. Mind you, it’s usually for something much cooler than a DSG map in the movies. Awaiting confirmation and the TVS Flash tool will be Canada-bound. 📦

RabbitTwo

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI Rabbit
Hey, all. My apologies for the delay in updating this thread. Car was hit and spent almost 3 months in the body shop waiting on parts. We FINALLY had a chance to use the TVS Personal Flasher tonight. Aside from needing a computer science degree to get it working, we were successful in getting the flasher to read the vehicle info that goes to TVS. We are now waiting on the Stage II+ DSG file from TVS. Hopefully, driving impressions will follow shortly! 🤞🏼
E39AF4CB-9959-4D97-ABC1-B4C1A44F492C.jpeg

RabbitTwo

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI Rabbit
I thought to really see how good TVS’s mapping is, why not compare to a 991.2 GT3 RS with a PDK? 😁 I had the rare opportunity today to get out in one of these, which features one of the best dual-clutch transmissions available. Having owned 3 GTIs, 1 Golf R, and spending some time in several late-model 911s, I will do my best to use all of this feedback to compare just how good TVS’s Stage II+ map really is. If the tuned DSG behaves anything like a PDK in Sport mode, I will be a very happy customer. I will report back as soon as the GTI is flashed!
42CB8B61-E3D1-4D73-9F98-7CC72D28B73A.jpeg

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI
I thought to really see how good TVS’s mapping is, why not compare to a 991.2 GT3 RS with a PDK? 😁 I had the rare opportunity today to get out in one of these, which features one of the best dual-clutch transmissions available. Having owned 3 GTIs, 1 Golf R, and spending some time in several late-model 911s, I will do my best to use all of this feedback to compare just how good TVS’s Stage II+ map really is. If the tuned DSG behaves anything like a PDK in Sport mode, I will be a very happy customer. I will report back as soon as the GTI is flashed! View attachment 230710
Oh I’m excited. Thanks for keeping us tuned on this one