GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

TuxMat review (long term TBD, short term fail)

staying_tuned

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2016 Mark 7 Golf R
I've been a WeatherTech fan for over a decade, running their mats on everything my wife and I have driven but after seeing the photos of the seemingly gorgeous (yet rugged) TuxMats I was thrilled to give them a shot. I have a love/hate relationship with WeatherTech. I love the mats, so easy to pull and pressure wash but they cost a lot. Anyhow, so I ordered TuxMats and anxiously awaited them.

Upon unboxing I noticed what appears to be either extremely large thumb or toe prints embedded in them. I was so shocked that I roared laughing at how ironic it is that they protect every single instance of their logo with temporary film as to not allow 1 spec of dust to fall on them nor scratch to blemish their pristine finish yet here we have embedded beastly toe (or large thumb) prints. My mind then started racing wondering if it was indeed a toe print. I see no row of prints like a foot but perhaps it was a socked person whose big toe was worn out? Or maybe just a giant thumb but why not any other fingers, why just a giant thumb all over? Does some prankster have a giant thumb or toe stamp? So who knows. Anyhow, imagining the scenario of how this may have happened quickly diminished the luster of the unboxing.

I then noticed this oddly placed plastic clip. I thought that it snuck out of the clip bag and somehow made its way onto the edge (see pic) so imagine my surprise when I removed it to find a sloppy stitch finish. I mean, why not just fold it over and hit it with some old school grandma double-stitching or something, that zig-zag stuff that could probably hold wings onto an airplane? This, to me, plays out like:

OCD Q/C Person: Hey, this is somewhat unsightly. We should probably clean up this stitching. I mean, the word "Tux" is in our name after all.
No F's Given Person: We can cover it somehow... Wait a second, we have this box of clips here, let me see if one of these fits. Look at that, IT FITS and nobody will care! :: taps index finger on temple and winks ::
OCD Q/C Person: Are you sure? It's absolutely janky.
No F's Given Person: Ship em'.

So. The upsides are that they truly fit great and cover way more than the best weathertech has to offer (digital fit line). A LOT of time & thought was put into the design I'm sure. One thing I didn't realize until I had them in my hands was unlike normal mats, these can't be simply pulled and pressure washed and vinyl treated to new condition. The bottom layer is porous and would take forever to dry and likely get damaged. Due to their incredible fit and coverage, removing them for cleaning and drying would add easily 45 mins to any routine so its looking like a bowl with mild soapy warm water each time for these.

Would I buy them again? No, I wouldn't.

I did contact them and specifically asked that they credit me 50% of the purchase price or send me another set and that I did not want to go through the RMA process (for this price and a name like "TuxMat" you get 1 chance). They would not do either but will happily send me a return shipping label and upon receipt of the originals, ship another set out. Kind of lame.

Attachments

• tuxmat-prints.jpg
    tuxmat-prints.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 661
  • stitch-cover.jpg
    stitch-cover.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 616
Last edited:

staying_tuned

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2016 Mark 7 Golf R
Quick update, they’ve decided to ship a replacement set today with a prepaid label for me to return these when we are in town next (closest UPS/FedEx is 30+ mins, pickup not available). I appreciate them given us the benefit of the doubt.

VAG Parts Bin

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
97 GTI & 17 R
Good luck with Round 2. I'm curious to see how they hold up over time.

I bought a set in Dec 17 for my R and another set 2 weeks later for my wife's CRV and they are all holding up well. Probably a couple of scuffs in the rubber logo part, but they have seen 40k of daily use in the R and ~25k in the CRV. Takes only a min to pull out and wash. Carpets look brand new underneath. Well worth the $$ IMO.

staying_tuned

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2016 Mark 7 Golf R
After 4 months and a little under 5k miles, the heel pad has entirely lifted and the corner material, where the heel pad is affixed, is worn away and is exposing the foam. Based on the heel pad’s underside marks, it looks like they just slap it on while the fake leather texture is wet and expect it to stay.

Setup some JB plastic bonder and hit it with a thin layer to hopefully get some more time out of these garbage floor mats. I should have stuck with what I’ve been running for over a decade.

94A123C6-A5DE-42EB-9213-A1C4E559D0A5.jpeg

976A0BCC-644D-42B9-B523-09E3096E30AE.jpeg

staying_tuned

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2016 Mark 7 Golf R
Dude... Findway matts are the best, and the least expensive. Much better than Tux or Weathertech.

Glad to hear there are some other fitted options!

dunkelweizen

Go Kart Newbie
I have the Findway F518 which is the one that looks like carpet. It doesn't seem to be available for the GTI/R/Golf at the moment, only the F100 which is rubber mats similar to Weathertech.

The F518 I have are great as it looks and feels more like carpet than typical floormats/Weathertech. They can be pressure washed, but do take a bit longer to fully dry. I just put them back in still wet. The fit for the set I have is 99.5% - there was a spot under the clutch that bunched up slightly creating a creak sound sometimes and took about 6 months to "settle" and go away. The heel pads on mine are coming off after 1.5 years DD use, but easily glued back on. Can't complain as they are 1/3 the price of Tuxmats. Would definitely buy them again if the F518 is available again.

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
If you're looking for a decent floor liner, I recommend the OEM/Weather Tech ones. I went with a set like these but "Muddy buddy" OEM with the Separate rear inserts, though you can get one that is just one piece for the rear inserts. Also have their rear boot mat that's been awesome with the dogs.
The high lip catches almost everything and their pretty easy to clean. No issues with wear, but mine are pretty new.
https://www.weathertech.com/volkswagen/2016/golf-gti/floorliner-digitalfit/

Edit: I know OP has a love hate with WT, but for anyone else. Also if you buy them through a local dealer, VW is currently having a 10% prepaid visa card rebate on accessories.
https://www.volkswagenrebates.com/
https://parts.vw.com/p/Volkswagen_2...loor-Liner---Black/75422429/5G1061541DSP.html

SonicBloom

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI S
Haven't heard of them. Wonder what shipping to the US is. I like the rear is a single piece in their set.

It cost me $45 CAD to ship the floor and cargo liner to California in December 2018. Maybe the Findway website will give you shipping quote without having to go through the checkout process?

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
It cost me $45 CAD to ship the floor and cargo liner to California in December 2018. Maybe the Findway website will give you shipping quote without having to go through the checkout process?
That's not bad, especially considering the CAD to USD conversion right now. I already have my OEM "Muddy buddy" WT made ones, but I'll have to keep these guys in mind going forward. I know the wife is looking for a set in her car, might have to see if they make ones for hers. I got my OEM ones for 35% off from VW of Murrieta and with a 15% cash back card from VW Rebates, but their prices normally are better after the conversion. ~35 for shipping and 145ish after conversion still puts you at 180USD for the set shipped, that's pretty good.

Cssoz

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Golf 7, 2017 1.8T
I have TuxMat, got them in 2017 April ? maybe May lastest. the clips doesn't install properly back when i got it and it's 1-2 inch shorter for Driver + passenger BUT it handle up all year round, i washed it no more than 10 -15 times lol