GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Tutorial: How-To Fit Helix Soundbox + Spare in GTI

Erland

Car(s)
MK 7.5 GTi
So I missed a couple posts mentioning that their floor doesn't sit flat, I can confirm, with the feet removed, the spare+sub sits 7-10mm taller than the lip where the floor rests; with the feet on, it's a bit over 25mm too tall.
Fortunately it was only ~$20 for the extra nut and extended screws, but it's certainly not the perfect fit the original post makes it sounds like.

I'm building a new floor with an integrated speaker box for the subs so I can keep it looking stock and retain the spare, but I'm wondering if I ought to try swapping the little subs for a single 8" or so? Looks like I have some more reading to do.

brandofo

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2018 GTI
I purchased the Helix sub and had it installed at the dealership. Now I am interested in doing the spare tire mod. I need to disconnect the subwoofer, run the wire through the spare and then reconnect the subwoofer cable.

Do I need to disconnect the car battery before removing the subwoofer wired connection? Or am I safe to do this as long as the car is completely off?

southpawboston

Drag Racing Champion
I purchased the Helix sub and had it installed at the dealership. Now I am interested in doing the spare tire mod. I need to disconnect the subwoofer, run the wire through the spare and then reconnect the subwoofer cable.

Do I need to disconnect the car battery before removing the subwoofer wired connection? Or am I safe to do this as long as the car is completely off?

It's safe to unplug without disconnecting the battery.

PeteM1965

Car(s)
2018 Golf GTI
I fix the Helix on top of the spare tire. The floor is higher but barely noticeable. What is noticeable is the sound definitely suffers when compared to the Helix sitting on the floor of the spare tire well. It likely as to do with the large volume of air directly below the sub when sitting on the spare as against sitting on the floor.

I am going to see if it is possible to switch the positions of the Helix and spare tire and whether that sounds better.

Reactions: br5

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
I've read folks prefer it lower...I kinda tried it but you need to trim center piece at back of floor because the Helix hits it when fitting. I am curious to see it will give the advantage of I see having to take spare out more often than helix.

pondape

Car(s)
2018 GTI SE
Has anyone been able to find a remote control that works with the Helix? I've got it installed and programmed (thanks @snobrdrdan) It sounds great for the price, but if a song isn't mixed well the bass can be waay too much. A simple knob to turn down just the subwoofer is what it needs. There's even a port on the side for a remote, but I can't find one online.

*edit: And no, the Helix SRC does not work with this amp, unfortunately. Ask me how I know. If anyone wants a Helix SRC remote I need to sell one.

AeroHead

Car(s)
2018 GTI SE
Just bought a lightly used 2018 SE and have been reading helix threads and watching videos...

it looks like quite a few haven’t gotten their floors to sit flat with the spare in place—even with the feet removed.

I’m new and could be mistaken, but some pics seem to show tirewells lined with some sort of cushioning felt or fabric, while others show just painted metal. Could the thickness of padding be a reason for differences in the floor fitting, or not, at stock height?

On another note, my 2018 SE non-fender has a slender box with an orange reflector(?) positioned in the trunk just behind the seat backs (marked J147 804619 07S)—is this an emergency trunk light or something else?

Thanks

southpawboston

Drag Racing Champion
I don't know if the GSW is different from the short Golf in terms of trunk floor configuration, but on the GSW, the tire + Helix cannot fit if the floor is in the lowered position (resting on the frame of the car). In the raised position (resting on removable plastic standoff rails) the tire + Helix fit with several inches to spare. If the short Golfs do not have the raised floor option, all I can say is sorry, it's a nice feature! :LOL:

AeroHead

Car(s)
2018 GTI SE
From the combined spare + Helix (w/o feet) height of 9 3/4” that was posted above, it looks like the stack would be maybe 1/8 to 1/4” below the bottom of the carpeted floor deck (when it is at the higher position in my 2018 gti).

br5

Car(s)
2019 GTI
In the raised position (resting on removable plastic standoff rails) the tire + Helix fit with several inches to spare.
My floor sits maybe half an inch higher than the upper floor position (with Helix feet removed). Sounds like the GSW must have a deeper trunk

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
my Helix (17 GTI) with spare is just short of clearing in upper position. Not noticeable in real world (feet moved) unless OCD

orange triangle should fit in space on lower section of hatch (open hatch look up) or an umbrella!

AeroHead

Car(s)
2018 GTI SE
Hmmm.... would the helix fit in the GTI if one bled the spare of some pressure...would the stack get a bit shorter?

I always carry an inflator....

half joking, but maybe not

AeroHead

Car(s)
2018 GTI SE
Still a bit puzzled how some seem to fit fine and others just miss with tippy floors.

Could the spare tires be different enough in width (height in this orientation) to change the results?