GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Tutorial: How-To Fit Helix Soundbox + Spare in GTI

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
Probably fine, but isn't there ridges/open grooves/recess/beads in the floor pan (I don't know on the MK7?)....so there could/should be less pressure on the wiring....since the tire isn't sitting 100% against the floor (I think), more like 60% of it is making contact.

I think it's fine though

copperbricks

Ready to race!
Would anyone with this setup mind measuring the total height of the stack? Trying to figure out whether this will fit into a golf R with a spare.

thanks!

mathil8

noticed: The screws that hold the 5-6 rubber feet are pretty deep -- I am pretty sure they penetrate the 1/2" thick Helix sub floor. So I made it a point to drive the screws back into the box so I didn't have air leaks. Not sure if that has been mentioned, or was mentioned in the vid...
Interesting, I didn't consider this. Would this really have much of an effect? I'm debating doing this but kind of concerned about the screw heads pressing into the spare (likely also not an issue haha).

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
Interesting, I didn't consider this. Would this really have much of an effect? I'm debating doing this but kind of concerned about the screw heads pressing into the spare (likely also not an issue haha).

The screws are recessed into the "feet"....so the feet just make contact with the spare tire.
You're not cranking it down real hard, so it shouldn't be an issue

mathil8

The screws are recessed into the "feet"....so the feet just make contact with the spare tire.
You're not cranking it down real hard, so it shouldn't be an issue

In this situation the feet have been removed to add a little more clearance. The poster I quoted recommended replacing the screws after removing the feet.

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
In this situation the feet have been removed to add a little more clearance. The poster I quoted recommended replacing the screws after removing the feet.

Oh...well just try and get the screw heads as flush as possible with the box and I still don't think it'd be an issue.
Worst case, you could put some small (self adhesive) felt or something like that on top of the screw head if you REALLY want to cover your bases & protect the tire

mathil8

Oh...well just try and get the screw heads as flush as possible with the box and I still don't think it'd be an issue.
Worst case, you could put some small (self adhesive) felt or something like that on top of the screw head if you REALLY want to cover your bases & protect the tire

True. Do you think the air space would really be much of an issue ?

mathil8

The screw hole, you mean?

You could seal it up, or put some sealant on the screw threads when you put it back in, if you're really paranoid

I'm not that paranoid haha. Another poster was saying it was a good idea to drive the screws back in after removing the feet.

Captainsav

2018 mk7 do NOT require new cables

This may have been already noticed, but my 2018 GTI SE is prewired to the trunk so all I had to do was place sub and wire head unit. Hope this saves some folks some time!

kikomann005

This may have been already noticed, but my 2018 GTI SE is prewired to the trunk so all I had to do was place sub and wire head unit. Hope this saves some folks some time!

Do you have any more details/pictures on the install? I haven't read anything in the forums/ internet about vehicles coming prewired.

southpawboston

Drag Racing Champion

Did you buy it new? I have never heard of this. VW never pre-wires for anything, it seems.