GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Tutorial: How-To Fit Helix Soundbox + Spare in GTI

GE90

Passed Driver's Ed
I had the same issue. I messed with flipping the spare the other way around. I dont remember which direction it ended up as but one way was better than the other. Also, I put three rubber spacers to lift the sub off the tire a bit to allow room for the cable.

I think i also ended up tucking the sub under that plastic lip. The floor of the trunk rocks a little tiny bit but its good enough even for my OCD.

Thanks for your reply, much appreciated.

I'll get the bits on order and give it a go then.

Now just the dongle to sort........

beardedGTI

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport 6mt
Did this mod and it works pretty well. I'm unclear what the purpose of the second nut is. Whichever order you stack them, the top most one holds everything together. No need for the second one.

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
You're right.

For more stability was my reason though.

I didn't want to put the "stress" of holding everything on that plastic bolt/one nut up higher.
Having two makes the rod more stable (since it's locked down lower with the first nut) and ensures nothing is gonna move

BlueHen

Drag Race Newbie
You're right.

For more stability was my reason though.

I didn't want to put the "stress" of holding everything on that plastic bolt/one nut up higher.
Having two makes the rod more stable (since it's locked down lower with the first nut) and ensures nothing is gonna move

Yep. You don't have to use two screws, but doing so distributes the load on each, which is a good thing when adding more weight.

tylerf0606

Ready to race!
Thanks for posting this. Just ordered the parts and installed them today. Works perfectly

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

yo_marc

Ready to race!
I somewhat recently moved my Helix to under the floor.

Something I noticed: The screws that hold the 5-6 rubber feet are pretty deep -- I am pretty sure they penetrate the 1/2" thick Helix sub floor. So I made it a point to drive the screws back into the box so I didn't have air leaks. Not sure if that has been mentioned, or was mentioned in the vid...

(FWIW, the sub is LOUDER when mounted down there, compared to sitting on the floor of the hatch like I had it.)

Dubins930

Noob electronic question: I installed the sub and did your +spare conversion, it it ok to just run the wiring under and up through the tire? It has a bit of room but the tire is over the top of it.