GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Turtle Wax Ceramic Spray Coating

LarryLaptimes

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2018 VW GTI SE
I’ve been skeptical of Turtle Wax products in the past but saw several YouTube videos from a couple reputable channels giving it good reviews so I figured I’d try it out. I’m old fashioned when it comes to detailing and I’m a bit apprehensive of going the full ceramic coating route. That being said, I put a couple coats of the ceramic spray coating on the GTI this past weekend and I was thoroughly impressed with this stuff. Anybody else try it out? Thoughts?

9uns

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
gti
I’ve been skeptical of Turtle Wax products in the past but saw several YouTube videos from a couple reputable channels giving it good reviews so I figured I’d try it out. I’m old fashioned when it comes to detailing and I’m a bit apprehensive of going the full ceramic coating route. That being said, I put a couple coats of the ceramic spray coating on the GTI this past weekend and I was thoroughly impressed with this stuff. Anybody else try it out? Thoughts?

If you don't mind the upkeep of maintaining a ceramic coating then it's a great option.

I'll probably try some of the new TW products for the same reason and apparently I'm a sucker for over-hyped and over-marketed products because I bought into CG's HyperSlick. As much as I loved the depth and protection that ceramic coating provided, I'm just not a fan of the upkeep so I'm going to treat HS like a wax and not maintain as meticulously since it's cheap enough to apply every 3-6 months.

There's a lot of hype building up around a new type of coating called Graphene. Might be worth looking into if you're entertaining ceramic coating.

JerseyDrew77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 TR GTI S 6MT
Sorry but I don't consider that to be a true ceramic coating. The garbage ones don't even last a year. You'll want a cc to have at least a 9H and the good ones last anywhere from 4 - 9 years, depending on your environment. To maintain the good ones, all you have to do is wash your car and maybe once a year apply something like CarPro's Reload.

NopeR

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
18 Golf R
^ what he said.

A non permanent coating is pretty much just a ceramic "topper" that'll come off very easily. It'll protect the paint, but not for long.

9uns

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
gti
what they said. apparently i applied the peasant consumer version of ceramic coating from pinnacle prior to stripping the coating.

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
It's not a true ceramic coating, no.
But the Turtle Wax Hybrid line is excellent.
I used the polish, wash with the Hybrid wash, and have been using the Wet Wax and Ceramic Detailer.
First time ever that I've decided to try a line up of any brands products.
I've let my other products take a break.

Golfs everyday

Autocross Newbie
Turtle Wax, huh? I shall give it a try next time I'm at the autoparts store.

I too have been detailing for decades and tried many different 'professional' products. I've been finding off-the-shelf products have excelled in quality over the last 10 years where I don't have to use all detailer-geek stuff any more.

Ceramic is one genre of products I've not really migrated to as I've found so many polymer based easy to use solutions that do very well. It might not last nearly as long as ceramic, but they are so easy to apply it's absolutely no big deal, and easy to touch up when needed.. for example when you do any spot polishing. I like to keep things easy and garage my cars, don't drive hobby cars in bad weather.

sloopercat

Go Kart Newbie
I used their hybrid ceramic polish, then spray wax on the Midnight Blue GTI. Worked great. I liked their ICE products also. I usually put a fresh coat of detailer at least once a month. That seems to keep the shine and sheds dirt between washes.

George Ab

Drag Racing Champion
Thanks for the heads up. I have been a fan of Klasse polymers, both their all in one and their sealant as it lasts for 5 to 6 months. Anything to cut down the maintenace. This Turtle Wax product looks promising and doesn't break the bank.

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
I used their hybrid ceramic polish, then spray wax on the Midnight Blue GTI. Worked great. I liked their ICE products also. I usually put a fresh coat of detailer at least once a month. That seems to keep the shine and sheds dirt between washes.
The ICE products work amazing well.

goalieman24

If you don't mind the upkeep of maintaining a ceramic coating then it's a great option.
There's really not much "upkeep" to it. The products to maintain generally are only needed a few times per year and it's a quick spray. Less work than reapplying the more temporary waxes/sealants

sloopercat

Go Kart Newbie
One thing I found out is it works best when I wipe it off with one microfiber, then spray with water and wipe with another microfiber, then finish with another dry one. Otherwise it’s really hard to get a clean surface without an oily film. The damp microfiber really gets that film off that I struggled with with just a dry wipe.