GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Turns out I bought a tuned CPO car

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
They aren't going to do anything worse to it that I don't already do to it. 🤷‍♂️

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG
a) Can the dealer be trusted to follow through long-term? I wouldn't trust them.
b) I wouldn't buy a tuned car, period. But OP may not care about that.
a) TBD. Only time can tell.

b) Dealer-installed stage 1, plus TCU tune. Full maintenance records. No other mods. CPO for 2 years/24,000 miles. I’m totally comfortable with that. Literally any other GTI you buy could have had a piggyback tune and/or have been beat on while stock, and you’d never know it. 🤷‍♂️

Had I known upfront? Maybe I would’ve avoided it. But now that I’ve driven it with that stage 1 power, I realize I would’ve just tuned it myself anyways 😆.

EpicTech

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI 6sp w/PP

TheMechanicDude

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
17 GTI Sport
Dealer will have to fix car for length of “CPO” they have to honor. VWOA doesn’t GAF what dealer says the car is technically TD1 eligible. Another dealer can flag.
Enjoy tune. Don’t leave dealer. They still offer APR? Push for stage 2 discount 🍑

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Man I am scared at what I would see :ROFLMAO:

I don't have to worry about that at my Indy shop, when they regularly have R8's, Stage 3 Golf R's, Audi RS's, Porsches etc

tigeo

Autocross Champion
a) Can the dealer be trusted to follow through long-term? I wouldn't trust them.
b) I wouldn't buy a tuned car, period. But OP may not care about that.
At some point conspiracy thinking about warranties and whether they will be honored is not tine well spent. If they provide in-writing that they will cover it then what else can they do? OP clearly wants the tuned car. All of this concern is about a blown engine/trans that is so unlikely to occur with a stage 1 tune it probably falls within the normal un-tuned occurrence rate at this point in its use.

danieI

Car(s)
Mk7.5
Bit of an update for my case (factory warranty + apr plus tune)

I got in contact with my service manager at the dealer and she sent over a print out of the internal VW service they use to check cars. My car has not been flagged in the system as TD1 ( service manager actually understood this) and shows I still have my factory warranty. Funny thing also, is that my car has the additional CPO status. Originally the sales manager had made something up about having to pay for the CPO status if I wanted the additional coverage after the warranty. My service manager assured me that they'd do the work on the car which we'll obviously have to see come warranty claim.

I'm going to bring my car to a local shop and have the APR + warranty moved over to my name along with an update and possibly a TCU tune. That way I am covered in the event of a factory/cpo denial.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
I loved Wagen Werks. Also convenient because when I still lived in Florida it was right up the street from where I worked at Cecil Field.

Hunter was who made Wagen Works great. He's now got his own shop on the Southside, of Jacksonville, Southside Euro. If Hunter can't fix your car, you're forked. :ROFLMAO: Dude is a VAG savant and honest. Can't ask for more.

https://www.facebook.com/104310724256623/

Last edited:

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
a) TBD. Only time can tell.

b) Dealer-installed stage 1, plus TCU tune. Full maintenance records. No other mods. CPO for 2 years/24,000 miles. I’m totally comfortable with that. Literally any other GTI you buy could have had a piggyback tune and/or have been beat on while stock, and you’d never know it. 🤷‍♂️

Had I known upfront? Maybe I would’ve avoided it. But now that I’ve driven it with that stage 1 power, I realize I would’ve just tuned it myself anyways 😆.

Dude, I was using mobile and didn't realize you were in Jax. If this is VW of OP, I wouldn't trust them even in writing. If it's O'Steens, they are VW community friendly and pretty reliable. Bush is hit of miss.

Hit me up if you need anything and let me know if you want to come autocross or do some track days.

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG
Dude, I was using mobile and didn't realize you were in Jax. If this is VW of OP, I wouldn't trust them even in writing. If it's O'Steens, they are VW community friendly and pretty reliable. Bush is hit of miss.

Hit me up if you need anything and let me know if you want to come autocross or do some track days.
It is O’Steen. Dude thanks!

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
It is O’Steen. Dude thanks!
I'm out in Fleming Island, have you joined the local FB group JaxDubs? If not, do so, it's where you'll find all the local VW stuff going on. Between JaxDubs and Old City Oil Drippers, there's VW stuff almost every weekend. I'm trying to get more VW's out at the local autocross and track day scene too.