GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Turns out I bought a tuned CPO car

tigeo

Autocross Champion
As long as the dealer will honor any warranty that they offered with the vehicle being tuned, score! I'd just get something from them regarding it - if they are an APR dealer this shouldn't be that much drama to get.

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG
The more I think about it, the more it bothers me. This dealership could go under next year, or I could move to a different city. I need a warranty that will truly be like the CPO one because that’s what I paid for. We’ll see what they say…

seanmcd1

Autocross Newbie
If they try and tell you everything is fine and "nothing to worry about" - I would call VWoA right away. They simply can't sell a car like that as a CPO.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
The better question I have here for this is - is the CPO warranty the same as the factory/manufacturer warranty w/r to tuning, TD1, etc.? If warranty was your big buying point here, yes, just need to call VWoA and ask.

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI
The better question I have here for this is - is the CPO warranty the same as the factory/manufacturer warranty w/r to tuning, TD1, etc.? If warranty was your big buying point here, yes, just need to call VWoA and ask.

CPO Warranty isn’t through a 3rd-party - it is “like the factory warranty,” just extends the 3 year/36K B2B to 5 year/60K or 2 years 24K from date of of purchase, if bought past 36K miles but below 60. Don’t believe they do CPO outside of factory powertrain on 2015-2017 MK7 - but could be wrong.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
CPO Warranty isn’t through a 3rd-party - it is “like the factory warranty,” just extends the 3 year/36K B2B to 5 year/60K or 2 years 24K from date of of purchase, if bought past 36K miles but below 60. Don’t believe they do CPO outside of factory powertrain on 2015-2017 MK7 - but could be wrong.
Got it. Seem simple enough to speak with the dealer/VW about it. If they will honor it in writing perfect. If not, then figure out if they can give the CPO/warranty premium paid back or get traded out for something else. I'd take the car and just get ask for the few grand back b/c I'm just not into warranties but I understand some are.

Last edited:

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI
Got it. Seem simple enough to speak with the dealer/VW about it. If they will honor it in writing perfect. If not, then figure out if they can give the CPO/warranty premium paid back or get traded out for something else. I'd take the car and just get ask for the few grand back b/c I'm just not into warranties but I understand some are.

Imo - the best angle here is “I bought this car as a CPO, and that was WHY I chose it. I expect a full refund of all monies deposited/payments made so I can purchase an untuned CPO.”

VW Customer care can make that exact type of request come true, but it will likely involve a contingency where they pre-allocate a car for you. You don’t just get your money back and get to walk. Unless you wanna sue ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Imo - the best angle here is “I bought this car as a CPO, and that was WHY I chose it. I expect a full refund of all monies deposited/payments made so I can purchase an untuned CPO.”

VW Customer care can make that exact type of request come true, but it will likely involve a contingency where they pre-allocate a car for you. You don’t just get your money back and get to walk. Unless you wanna sue ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Or if you want the tune etc., just see about getting them to put in writing that the CPO warranty will be honored regardless was my point. Win-win to me but I'd be happy with the tuned car b/c so many folks here are doing this anyway.

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI
Or if you want the tune etc., just see about getting them to put in writing that the CPO warranty will be honored regardless was my point. Win-win to me but I'd be happy with the tuned car b/c so many folks here are doing this anyway.

Dealer can’t make promises like that and VW won’t endorse it, a TD1’d car is a TD1’d car. But I’m not an expert, I’ll defer from here

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Dealer can’t make promises like that and VW won’t endorse it, a TD1’d car is a TD1’d car. But I’m not an expert, I’ll defer from here
Unless the dealer is going to pay for repairs themselves or try to get APR to pay. Remember the dealer installed the APR tune.