GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Turns out I bought a tuned CPO car

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Bit of an update for my case (factory warranty + apr plus tune)

I got in contact with my service manager at the dealer and she sent over a print out of the internal VW service they use to check cars. My car has not been flagged in the system as TD1 ( service manager actually understood this) and shows I still have my factory warranty. Funny thing also, is that my car has the additional CPO status. Originally the sales manager had made something up about having to pay for the CPO status if I wanted the additional coverage after the warranty. My service manager assured me that they'd do the work on the car which we'll obviously have to see come warranty claim.

I'm going to bring my car to a local shop and have the APR + warranty moved over to my name along with an update and possibly a TCU tune. That way I am covered in the event of a factory/cpo denial.
You have the factory warranty even when you are flagged TD1 - it just can impact *some* power train claims. It's a minor detail that folks often misunderstand. The APR+ tune is only good as long as the original factory warranty so I assume you still are within that period?

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
Bit of an update for my case (factory warranty + apr plus tune)

I got in contact with my service manager at the dealer and she sent over a print out of the internal VW service they use to check cars. My car has not been flagged in the system as TD1 ( service manager actually understood this) and shows I still have my factory warranty. Funny thing also, is that my car has the additional CPO status. Originally the sales manager had made something up about having to pay for the CPO status if I wanted the additional coverage after the warranty. My service manager assured me that they'd do the work on the car which we'll obviously have to see come warranty claim.

I'm going to bring my car to a local shop and have the APR + warranty moved over to my name along with an update and possibly a TCU tune. That way I am covered in the event of a factory/cpo denial.
not flagged because never scanned (assume). I think if you have a major engine wtty needed VW will scan it and then TD1 it. I do agree with tigeo about some of the wtty still being good. Dealers/friendships with them can make a difference.

#mechanicslikedonughts

tigeo

Autocross Champion
not flagged because never scanned (assume). I think if you have a major engine wtty needed VW will scan it and then TD1 it. I do agree with tigeo about some of the wtty still being good. Dealers/friendships with them can make a difference.

#mechanicslikedonughts
Precisely. It will only be scanned if it is in for a service that requires it. My car is not TD1 and has is IS38 FBO and has had the SAI combi valve replaced which I was sure would get kicked back. They do like donuts.

gixxerfool

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 Golf R

#mechanicslikedonughts

Precisely. It will only be scanned if it is in for a service that requires it. My car is not TD1 and has is IS38 FBO and has had the SAI combi valve replaced which I was sure would get kicked back. They do like donuts.

Pizza works well too. Bagels also. Don’t forget the cream cheese.

maxwell

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2018 GSW 6MT 4motion
I tipped my service manager when I was in for some weird CanBus issues a while back on my stage 1 GSW with Bilstein coilovers, etc. they loved the car, covered it under warranty, and took great care of me. I am very much of the same mindset as @tigeo when it comes to warranties.

gixxerfool

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 Golf R
I tipped my service manager when I was in for some weird CanBus issues a while back on my stage 1 GSW with Bilstein coilovers, etc. they loved the car, covered it under warranty, and took great care of me. I am very much of the same mindset as @tigeo when it comes to warranties.
I tipped the tech and writer when I dropped my car off. The tech crushed my side skirts with the lift for me. Best $40 I ever spent

danieI

Car(s)
Mk7.5

#mechanicslikedonughts

Agree on both points and basically what the service manager said. They'll work on as much as they can until they cant. I have my original factory for 6yrs/72,000.

cb1111

Pizza works well too. Bagels also. Don’t forget the cream cheese.

I tipped the tech and writer when I dropped my car off. The tech crushed my side skirts with the lift for me. Best $40 I ever spent
Stuff for everybody works better than money to the SA. Spending $40 on cans of soda will get you remembered far better than the $40 to the adviser.

My Acura dealership screwed up an alignment (steering wheel crooked), overfilled the oil and said the steering wheel being off is OK.

I called Acura and pitched a fit. A day later I got a call from the service manager who asked me to bring it in. I spoke with the head tech who looked at the steering wheel and said "where did you get that alignment done, it is awful?" The service manager just tried to disappear into the wall. They did another oil change, fixed the steering and offered me some free services.

I thanked them and drove to the Target down the street where they had sodas on sale (4 cases for $10) and bought an assortment for $40 - so 16 cases.

I drove back to the dealership and into their service lane and I saw the expression on the service manager's face - an "oh shit, what now?" look. I got out, popped the hatch (it was a wagon) and started unloading the sodas. The manager came over and said "what's this". I responded with "I just wanted to thank you guys for taking ownership and fixing my car", got back in and drove off.

From then on I was offered loaners and "free" stuff. When I needed new tires, the manager said "we have a free install special if you buy from us but we're more expensive than TireRack, but if you have then dropshipped here, then we'll mount and roadforce balance them for free. We get our tires from them too and just assume that you've bought them here"

gixxerfool

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 Golf R
Stuff for everybody works better than money to the SA. Spending $40 on cans of soda will get you remembered far better than the $40 to the adviser.

My Acura dealership screwed up an alignment (steering wheel crooked), overfilled the oil and said the steering wheel being off is OK.

I called Acura and pitched a fit. A day later I got a call from the service manager who asked me to bring it in. I spoke with the head tech who looked at the steering wheel and said "where did you get that alignment done, it is awful?" The service manager just tried to disappear into the wall. They did another oil change, fixed the steering and offered me some free services.

I thanked them and drove to the Target down the street where they had sodas on sale (4 cases for $10) and bought an assortment for $40 - so 16 cases.

I drove back to the dealership and into their service lane and I saw the expression on the service manager's face - an "oh shit, what now?" look. I got out, popped the hatch (it was a wagon) and started unloading the sodas. The manager came over and said "what's this". I responded with "I just wanted to thank you guys for taking ownership and fixing my car", got back in and drove off.

From then on I was offered loaners and "free" stuff. When I needed new tires, the manager said "we have a free install special if you buy from us but we're more expensive than TireRack, but if you have then dropshipped here, then we'll mount and roadforce balance them for free. We get our tires from them too and just assume that you've bought them here"
Maybe, it was $20 to the advisor and then $20 to the tech.

The difference was, the car was going in for a windshield replacement and I had mentioned the coolant odor while I was there. It was first thing in the morning and was not expecting them to find anything with the car. They called after the windshield was done and said they needed to hold it over the weekend for the thermostat housing to be replaced.

When I got the car I gave the advisor $20 to give to the tech.

As a tech, food is great and tips hold the same "value". It shows the customer was appreciative of the work. It was my first visit at the dealer and wanted to see how they did. They did not do well.

cb1111

Maybe, it was $20 to the advisor and then $20 to the tech.

The difference was, the car was going in for a windshield replacement and I had mentioned the coolant odor while I was there. It was first thing in the morning and was not expecting them to find anything with the car. They called after the windshield was done and said they needed to hold it over the weekend for the thermostat housing to be replaced.

When I got the car I gave the advisor $20 to give to the tech.

As a tech, food is great and tips hold the same "value". It shows the customer was appreciative of the work. It was my first visit at the dealer and wanted to see how they did. They did not do well.
True, but pizza/bagels/sodas/donuts reach more people.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
I just started looking. It seems locksmiths in my area aren’t exactly big on informative websites. Most of them look to be from the Netscape days. Im still on the hunt.

If you're in a bigger city, you should have shops that specialize in car keys and fobs