GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Turn off amber indicator light (US)

Leo ATX

Car(s)
'21 Mk7.5 GTI
What should I take to turn off the amber indicator light on US spec models? This is regarding the amber indicator light, not the amber reflector strip.

Right now it looks like the only option to me is VCDS.
IMG_6389.jpg

Clem604

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 VW GTI
What should I take to turn off the amber indicator light on US spec models? This is regarding the amber indicator light, not the amber reflector strip.

Right now it looks like the only option to me is VCDS.View attachment 204412
You can do it with OBD11 or VCDS although I don't remember the exact coding changes. I have mine turned off.

Last edited:

bobloblawGTI

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
19 GTI SE 6MT

Right now it looks like the only option to me is VCDS.
With OBD11 or VCDS:

09 - Central Electrics
16 - Security code 31347
10 - Adaptations
Leuchte26NSL LA72
"Lasttyp 26" set to “not active” (default: “43-allgemeine LED”)

If you want to disable the tail light side markers also, it's:

09 - Central Electrics
16 - Security code 31347
10 - Adaptations
Leuchte27NSL RC6
"Lasttyp 27" set to “not active” (default: “43-allgemeine LED”)

PenIsland

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Volkswagen GTI 2020
With OBD11 or VCDS:

09 - Central Electrics
16 - Security code 31347
10 - Adaptations
Leuchte26NSL LA72
"Lasttyp 26" set to “not active” (default: “43-allgemeine LED”)

If you want to disable the tail light side markers also, it's:

09 - Central Electrics
16 - Security code 31347
10 - Adaptations
Leuchte27NSL RC6
"Lasttyp 27" set to “not active” (default: “43-allgemeine LED”)
What do the front and rear light markers do? They don't flash with the turn signal, right?

bobloblawGTI

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
19 GTI SE 6MT
What do the front and rear light markers do? They don't flash with the turn signal, right?
No, they don't "do" anything except stay illuminated when the headlights are on due to U.S. DoT regulations. I could be wrong but afaik they aren't even present on non-NAR vehicles.

greekspec2

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
17 Golf R 17 BMW X1M
the correct way on a MK7 at least is to remove the wire from pin T14j/13 & T14k/13, if you do the coding it turns off the center position lamp led M1 & M3 in the high beam light.

E8564E24-6133-4BA7-B25B-088B1DBAC8BF.png
33616CB0-66E1-4481-871E-1316703FEA84.png

bobloblawGTI

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
19 GTI SE 6MT
the correct way on a MK7 at least is to remove the wire from pin T14j/13 & T14k/13, if you do the coding it turns off the center position lamp led M1 & M3 in the high beam light.
I don't know if it's different for the Mk7, but I just tested on my Mk7.5 and the coding change didn't affect any part of the lighting system except for the amber side marker. Tested with DRLs, low beams, and high beams flipping the bits back and forth while looking at the LP assembly.

greekspec2

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
17 Golf R 17 BMW X1M
not sure on a MK7.5 but if you use coding on a MK7 it will turn off the center led and the N/A side marker led hence unpin the wires.

EE9AAF9B-1C63-4E9E-81A0-32E364E31C24.jpeg

Gr33nBunny

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
18 GTI SE 6mt
One of the first things I did upon receiving my OBD11 was screw up all my lights, then figured out how to fix it, then disabled the amber sidemarker up front and the red in the rear. So much cleaner without them

chillax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
18 GTI SE plaid
One of the first things I did upon receiving my OBD11 was screw up all my lights, then figured out how to fix it, then disabled the amber sidemarker up front and the red in the rear. So much cleaner without them

If you can find a pic would you point out the rear one? I'm not sure what you are referring to.

Gr33nBunny

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
18 GTI SE 6mt
Thanks, I think I'm going to disable the ambers but leave the back ones for now.

I definitely think getting rid of the amber makes more of a difference than than the red, but I also have decal overlays so basically no amber is visible on my front end unless the blinkers are on.

And hey, nice combo trim. SE with plaids ftw!