GOLFMKV

Turbojzrr's build: low NVH streetable time-attack car with warranty - 2019 R

turbojzrr

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R
That’s a lot of dedication man. Lots of things addressed too

are you going to stop tracking the r?
Yep! Going to keep taking it to tracks where it’s more high speed, and power makes a big difference. It’s still a crazy fun car and I enjoy it very much. I just didn’t like that my A052’s were worn down 50% in the one track day.

Mainly I will be tracking Laguna Seca and use the Miata on more technical tracks, the likes of Sonoma.

Miata people have complained of their own brake problems on the track and it looks like I need to address that as well with the factory brembo’s being too small of a diameter.

Last edited:

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
Yep! Going to keep taking it to tracks where it’s more high speed, and power makes a big difference. It’s still a crazy fun car and I enjoy it very much. I just didn’t like that my A052’s were worn down 50% in the one track say.

Mainly I will be tracking Laguna Seca and use the Miata on more technical tracks, the likes of Sonoma.

Miata people have complained of their own brake problems on the track and it looks like I need to address that as well with the factory brembo’s being too small of a diameter.
Gotcha. I’m sure flyingmiata would get you sorted with a bbk

turbojzrr

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R
Got the whole week off so I started doing some garage work. First thing is a cleanup job before getting started with the much awaited macan BBK install.

picked up a quick jack and a garage workbench both from Costco Father’s Day sale.

image.jpg
image.jpg

some proper led lighting also courtesy of Costco. They worked very well and it is almost bright as day in here with them on.

and then finally getting around to doing some PPF on the headlights that I can’t afford to replace if they had cracked

image.jpg

My car has only got 7000 miles so far but it’s already got a bunch of small chips and I wish I had done this earlier. I did stretch them slightly to get a closer fitment to the whole housing but this caused a bit of warping on the film and I’d recommend not stretching at all if you are going to do this too. It is not necessary to cover the WHOLE headlight housing and you’d get better optics.

j255c

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R Manual
If you continue to track the car I would suggest deactivating XDS to save your brakes.

averyislost

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2020 GTI S
Got the whole week off so I started doing some garage work. First thing is a cleanup job before getting started with the much awaited macan BBK install.

picked up a quick jack and a garage workbench both from Costco Father’s Day sale.

View attachment 218867
View attachment 218868

some proper led lighting also courtesy of Costco. They worked very well and it is almost bright as day in here with them on.

and then finally getting around to doing some PPF on the headlights that I can’t afford to replace if they had cracked

View attachment 218869

My car has only got 7000 miles so far but it’s already got a bunch of small chips and I wish I had done this earlier. I did stretch them slightly to get a closer fitment to the whole housing but this caused a bit of warping on the film and I’d recommend not stretching at all if you are going to do this too. It is not necessary to cover the WHOLE headlight housing and you’d get better optics.

Beautiful car! I was just thinking about buying Xpel's precut sheets for the GTI's front end.
Have you wrapped anything else on the front end or just the headlights? How difficult was the install?

turbojzrr

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R
Beautiful car! I was just thinking about buying Xpel's precut sheets for the GTI's front end.
Have you wrapped anything else on the front end or just the headlights? How difficult was the install?
I did wrap the whole front end and a few other pieces on the Miata. Miata is more curvy so many places need stretching and even then it wasn’t too bad.

The front bumper on the golf MK7 seems very busy with many shapes and I wasn’t sure how it would turn out just yet. I also already got some chips on there too.

between the head lights and the bumper, I think it’s much easier to fix the bumper with repaint later on which is why I PPF’ed the head lights first. The first sign of an old worn out car is the beat up head lights.

I did pickup some Dr. Colorchip to fix the bumper chips and I will reassess after if I should PPF the front end as well.

As to the difficulty, I think if you are handy with bodywork, this is much easier than prep work for painting and it really just needs a good amount of clean and well lit space. Two bottles for slip and tack solutions, and a very good felt lined squeegee. YouTube was my teacher and it was quite easy to get the hang of it.

turbojzrr

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R
Since my last update, I decided to just bite the bullet and PPF all parts with XPEL. Did the entire front end and all the piano black BS.

The magic of PPF is that you can do it over swirls. The B-pillar parts were full of swirls with just 2 automatic touch car washes and looked like shit. After PPF, they are completely gone and I did not do any paint correction other than clay bar.

Final result
IMG_1366.jpeg

IMG_1358.jpeg

There were tons of black swirls here before, too bad I didn't have a before/after photo.
7E735D4C-AAC0-4311-A78C-41C03770957E.jpeg

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
Yep! Going to keep taking it to tracks where it’s more high speed, and power makes a big difference. It’s still a crazy fun car and I enjoy it very much. I just didn’t like that my A052’s were worn down 50% in the one track day.

Yea, in my build thread I went over the a052. I got 3 days (not weekends) out of them. You saw the limitations a lot faster than I did with the platform!! Took me 3 years of modding to "fix things", lol.

If you can add fender venting and/or funnel some ducts in, all of your heat issues will go away with the brakes.

averyislost

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2020 GTI S
Since my last update, I decided to just bite the bullet and PPF all parts with XPEL. Did the entire front end and all the piano black BS.

The magic of PPF is that you can do it over swirls. The B-pillar parts were full of swirls with just 2 automatic touch car washes and looked like shit. After PPF, they are completely gone and I did not do any paint correction other than clay bar.

Final result
View attachment 220219

View attachment 220218

There were tons of black swirls here before, too bad I didn't have a before/after photo.
View attachment 220217
Killer job on the PPF! Really makes me want to bite the bullet and try my hand at doing it to mine as well. At least headlights and the B-pillars for an easy start

turbojzrr

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R
Killer job on the PPF! Really makes me want to bite the bullet and try my hand at doing it to mine as well. At least headlights and the B-pillars for an easy start
Yes totally! Start small and literally get your hands wet ;). The trunk cargo area is also a useful and easy place to start. There is also the roof and A pillar which are flat too, makes an easy install.

just make sure to clay and really clean out the work area.

turbojzrr

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R
7195E030-AF90-47A8-B24A-3108048E4E8C.jpeg
E2EACA39-106E-4BEE-880E-3723BF166630.jpeg

After spending a few weeks with PPF followed by Adam’s Ceramic 10H, finally took her out for a spin…

In case you are considering ceramic coating as well, I thought I would share some findings from my first attempt:

it does not make your paint glow or make the colors deeper, it is entirely the paint correction step (Buffing and polishing) that does this. My white color golf paint had zero noticeable difference before and after the ceramics but rubber and plastic parts look a lot more high quality.

the difference I did notice after the first drive was that the bug juices did not stay on the glass nor on the hood. Much of it just got blown off when it dried up and the rest was very easy to remove with a microfiber towel. Overall it stays cleaner easier.

I added 10mm spacers to the front and 12.5mm to the rear to prepare for the macan calipers and club sport s knuckle install which is coming next.

Last edited:

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
View attachment 227124View attachment 227125

After spending a few weeks with PPF followed by Adam’s Ceramic 10H, finally took her out for a spin…

In case you are considering ceramic coating as well, I thought I would share some findings from my first attemp

it does not make your paint glow or make the colors deeper, it is entirely the paint correction step (Buffing and polishing) that does this. My white color golf paint had zero noticeable difference before and after the ceramics but rubber and plastic parts look a lot more high quality.

the difference I did notice after the first drive was that the bug juices did not stay on the glass nor on the hood. Much of it just got blown off when it dried up and the rest was very easy to remove with a microfiber towel. Overall it stays cleaner easier.

I added 10mm spacers to the front and 12.5mm to the rear to prepare for the macan calipers and club sport s knuckle install which is coming next.
The second picture is great. 👍

turbojzrr

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R
2AC42A29-CB35-4496-9951-F0199CC4FADF.jpeg

all parts are complete now ready for install. Going with RS4 heat shields with the macan caliper mounted onto the Clubsport S knuckles. Just waiting on hardware now.
It is worth mentioning that the rs4 heat shields are a perfect mount to the knuckles but hits the macan caliper on the lower part of the bottom inner piston.

Last edited: