GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Turbo to NA conversion - another wastegate thread

Diggs24

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
The issue is if it is OOS you have to close and reopen vcds as it won't let you rerun that test. I say in the vid it keeps going but it actualy stops and says it failed. It's sort of annoying. Also, it doesn't sit in the closed position for long as you can see. But you can see from my other vids where it sits open and target that I guess. That should hopefully get you moving again.

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
Its very possible he used your technique. He had a long USB cable and had the laptop sitting on top of my engine. Took him about 10 min (if that).

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Interesting. I wonder if this is what he was doing and adjusting it....

That looks & sounds right to me! Nice

So did this today.

Ran this setting. Checked voltage. Was 2.4. So was lower than the 3 I measured before.

Adjusted rod a little. Hand tightened nut. Ran this setting. Checked voltage. Rinse and repeat till I was at 3.18. Didn't seem to go above this....until I tightened the nut with a wrench. Ended up at 4.15. Also checked this at idle and same voltage.

that being said, I have boost back. Yay. And no EPC driving for about 15 miles. Usually happens within 50 feet. We'll see.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Perhaps no turbo swap needed afterall. That would be nice.

Needed...No
Wanted...Yes

Plus I already have the downpipe, intercooler, reducer, extra intercooler clips (just in case) sitting in the garage and turbo on the way.

Also reached out to APR and they made (maybe already had. Not sure.) a non testpipe is38 tune so I can pass emissions without changing anything.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Just wanted to add that I was able to do all these adjustments from above without removing anything. No jacking up car or getting underneath.

TwinDad

Autocross Newbie
Just wanted to add that I was able to do all these adjustments from above without removing anything. No jacking up car or getting underneath.
Chances are that it is a little loose. You want around 3.6v when engine is running. What Diggs was saying about at rest was that when it is just key on, it hangs open some and the voltage is lower. Usually in the low 2's. So when you adjust, you have to actually restart the engine everytime. Mine is actually a little tight and is around 3.04 running. Key on only it's like 1.9-2. I'm sure you don't want to mess with it anymore, but I would shoot for closer to the 3.6 when running. You probably need to thrrad it in about 1 full turn

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Got a question about accessing from the top, so wanted to put a pic of where I was accessing it. Right sit where my thumb is where the 10mm nut is.

20200511_194408.jpg

Managed to snap this photo in 1 try. Woohoo!

20200511_194502.jpg