GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Turbo lag

Al_in_Philly

Autocross Newbie
It wouldn't surprise me if there was a touch more turbo lag on the R over the GTI; I assume that the turbo on the R has a larger internal volume to fill than on the GTI, else it wouldn't have the expanded top end. That said, only a couple of reviewers have noted some SLIGHT turbo lag in the R, while the vast majority of the press who've driven it haven't said anything about it in their glowing reviews. My guess is that it might only be noticeable momentarily off the line, when not using launch control, as by 1800 RPM it's already operating at peak volumetric efficiency (always at max torque)--something not possible if the turbo isn't fully spooled up.

Noel_Morley

I drove GTI, GTI PP and R before purchasing the R. I found no difference in turbo lag between all models. There is absolute minimum lag with all three. The 6spd DSG seems to be less laggy than my previous CC and tiguan 7 speeders but you feel like it needs another higher gear on freeway cruising.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Jerry1

Mk 7 GTi v Mk 7 R

Sir,
I have driven both. I test drove the Mk7 GTi for a full weekend before buying my R (both DSG and standard VW performance spec). There is no comparison and my R is also considerably quicker than my previous MK 6 GTi SE35. I have experienced no turbo lag either on the road or at Castle Combe which was a blast and where I lapped my Mk 7 R nearly 1.8 seconds quicker than my best lap in a Griff 500 TVR mainly thanks to handling through Bobbies and Quarry. I have also read concerns about under steer. Again not my experience though you do have to trust the rear drive will come to your aid. The R is the most understated car I have ever owned.