GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Turbo Inlet Pipe (TIP) Comprehensive Thread

Kei_Loper

Ready to race!
I have the Autotech intake with the CTS TIP. No problems with the fit.
Thanks, you guys just pretty much sold me on picking one up. I remember the enormous gain on the mk4 1.8t, and I noticed that the mk6 and mk7 didn't seem to be so popular with these, but even though it's not a huge gain....it's still something that works, and for very little cost.

Glad this thread exists. ??

Kei

MeatCat

Ready to race!
So the CTS and the Leyo have slightly different connections?
I have stock intake. Would one of these connect to the stock intake easier than the other?

Deviation01

Go Kart Champion
So the CTS and the Leyo have slightly different connections?
I have stock intake. Would one of these connect to the stock intake easier than the other?

I had the leyo with the stock intake components fit perfectly fine. Here is the install video.

https://youtu.be/lZd4ImJH-aA

teemmy

Ready to race!
Just installed my cts turbo inlet and so far i have some mixed feelings...It does seem like the throttle is more responsive in terms of turbo spooling, however, the increase in cabin noise is a bit too much for my liking...I feel like I'm driving a small diesel engine by the way it sounds

Is anyone else having the problem with significant increase in sounds (not smooth sounding like stock)?

ltktw

Mst performance 3" turbo inlet kit

Attachments

• IMG_0831.JPG
    IMG_0831.JPG
    83.4 KB · Views: 2,167
  • IMG_0829.JPG
    IMG_0829.JPG
    110.3 KB · Views: 11,826
  • IMG_0830.JPG
    IMG_0830.JPG
    107.2 KB · Views: 2,166
  • IMG_0832.JPG
    IMG_0832.JPG
    318.7 KB · Views: 2,176
  • IMG_0833.JPG
    IMG_0833.JPG
    205.5 KB · Views: 2,165
  • IMG_0834.JPG
    IMG_0834.JPG
    185.1 KB · Views: 2,142
  • IMG_0835.JPG
    IMG_0835.JPG
    243.5 KB · Views: 2,150

jacincm

Ready to race!
Wouldn't you need a tune for a mod like this? The ECU is going to see changes in these parameters and will readapt to factory settings to accommodate

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jacincm

Ready to race!
There's also no substantial evidence that I builds boost at the turbo inlet.

Pressure is built by through a high mass flow rate through a narrow opening. By increasing the diameter of the inlet pipe, you reduce velocity. Bigger isn't always better. It could also create laminar flow conditions which would be the last thing you want.

If people like the sound it makes, that's cool. But I believe people like modding for the sake of modding.

ErBall

Measurement Mogul
Car(s)
MQB A3
There's also no substantial evidence that I builds boost at the turbo inlet.

Pressure is built by through a high mass flow rate through a narrow opening. By increasing the diameter of the inlet pipe, you reduce velocity. Bigger isn't always better. It could also create laminar flow conditions which would be the last thing you want.

If people like the sound it makes, that's cool. But I believe people like modding for the sake of modding.

Your argument would hold water if this were on the positive pressure side of the system, but it's not. The inlet acts more as a straw than anything else. Volume is more important than velocity.

And no, you don't need a tune to accommodate this at all.

jacincm

Ready to race!
Ahhh gotcha, thanks for the clarification. That makes sense. You want to bring in the most mass of air so it can be compressed into the turbo and create more Boost coming out of the turbo

phxvwking

Passed Driver's Ed
Velocity is important as well. So is having clean (non turbulent) air entering a compressor. If you drop velocity you increase the risk of reverse flow (compressor stall). That is why when I look at the designs of these TIPs I would never put one on my car. As a aircraft mechanic I have actually had some training on compressor inlet design. I'm no engineer, but I do have a rudimentary grasp on the basic design. My argument was always - look at the companies that actually have some engineering background or staff. The ones that use CFD analysis to design the products they sell. APR, IE etc.. They don't sell these. (well APR does now, https://www.ecstuning.com/b-apr-parts/apr-turbo-inlet-pipe/ms100137~apr/) !! The only ones I have seen that I like are on LOBA and TTE turbos and not sold apart from those turbos.
I DO believe there are gains to be had here, but not at the expense of turbo longevity or cheap, improper design. I'm really glad APR jumped into this, I think this one might actually be one worth getting.

Chowderhead72

Ready to race!
Velocity is important as well. So is having clean (non turbulent) air entering a compressor. If you drop velocity you increase the risk of reverse flow (compressor stall). That is why when I look at the designs of these TIPs I would never put one on my car. As a aircraft mechanic I have actually had some training on compressor inlet design. I'm no engineer, but I do have a rudimentary grasp on the basic design. My argument was always - look at the companies that actually have some engineering background or staff. The ones that use CFD analysis to design the products they sell. APR, IE etc.. They don't sell these. (well APR does now, https://www.ecstuning.com/b-apr-parts/apr-turbo-inlet-pipe/ms100137~apr/) !! The only ones I have seen that I like are on LOBA and TTE turbos and not sold apart from those turbos.
I DO believe there are gains to be had here, but not at the expense of turbo longevity or cheap, improper design. I'm really glad APR jumped into this, I think this one might actually be one worth getting.

So what does the APR version do that the VWR doesn't? Give me a reason to switch.

phxvwking

Passed Driver's Ed
What Kool-aid is this you speak of? I hope you don't think I'm some kind of APR fan-boi. I have never owned any of their products. But I do think they produce some really good ones. With proper research and engineering behind them.
Back on point..
Have you ever seen a CFD (Computational Fluid Dynamics) model of airflow thru a 90 degree bend in a pipe? Its crap! The airflow does not just flow thru the bend, it slams in to the far wall of the pipe creating a high pressure area and starts to tumble. The near side, by the smaller radius of the bend (inside of the elbow) will have a low pressure area. Then all of the aftermarket TIPs I have seen closeup pics of have a reducer or bellmouth to meet up with the turbo inlet. So.. take all of this turbulent, chaotic airflow with different pressures and velocities, cram it thru a reducer and present it to your compressor. Everything I have learned and observed about airflow into a compressor (Axial or centrifugal flow, Turbo, Centrifugal supercharger, APU, ACM Jet engine) is that they, to operate at the highest efficiency, need clean non turbulent high velocity airflow entering them. The average aftermarket 90 degree welded tube elbow can at best provide only a slightly higher volume of air. While throwing out every characteristic that the turbo actually needs to gain it. The factory designed the stock piece with efficiency in mind, and in this case efficiency= performance. We all know how the auto industry chases every ounce of it in their designs. Look at the stock TIP, Its not really a 90 deg bend, its more like 2 45s with a slight curve in the middle and a constantly reducing ID. The compound curve along its length smooth the airflow and the reducing ID keep velocity up. Now look at the APR piece (or the TTE or LOBA ones). Very similar design to the stock piece, keeping all the features the turbo needs to be efficient AND increasing volume (CFM) over the stock piece. So far APR is the only one on the market even worth looking at. Of course all this is IMO... And if anyone with a engineering background wants to correct me, feel free.. I'm always up for learning something new.

Chowderhead72

Ready to race!
Or CTS, or BMS, or Leyo... Someone's been drinking the kool-aid.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Huh? I have the VWR already I was asking the difference between them. I could care less about the others.. Sorry I TRIGGERED you with my question.