GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Turbo Inlet Pipe (TIP) Comprehensive Thread

Perry01

Ready to race!
Curious if anyone has installed one if these in combination with the Autotech intake? I'd love to get one, but I want to make sure that it fits before I do.

Kei

I have an Autotech intake and a VWR turbo inlet pipe in a box waiting to install. It should fit fine, I'll let you know for sure next week.

Last edited:

Bawlti

Ready to race!
Curious if anyone has installed one if these in combination with the Autotech intake? I'd love to get one, but I want to make sure that it fits before I do.

Kei

I do. Fits perfect!

wlfpck

Ready to race!
Doesn't Burger have one now as well?.. and I believe it's the cheapest... Based on their customer service alone this is the route I will go.

Scroll down...

http://www.burgertuning.com/vw_audi_eA888_bms_intake_kit.html

Completely forgot about the BMS one. Added it to the original post.

Oh and thanks for the thread!

Great write up brother! We appreciate it.

No probs! Hope this helps everyone out.

Yes but that's doesn't go into the explanation of the effect of pressure on the pre-turbo side like I go over in the post. Plus VWR doesn't appear to have posted their flow data on the product page which is on the first post of my link.

Added link to the reference section.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Anyone ever dyno before and after? My money's still on there's no gains regardless of which one you choose. I've seen the flow bench data, I'm still not convinced cuz it's still bottle necked at the mouth of the turbo

eb_rat_7

Passed Driver's Ed
Anyone ever dyno before and after? My money's still on there's no gains regardless of which one you choose. I've seen the flow bench data, I'm still not convinced cuz it's still bottle necked at the mouth of the turbo

I don't think it was posted on here, but Kevin from ESP did a back to back dyno with the stock and cts (I let him use mine) on a stage 2 UM gti and picked up ~ 10 HP throughout the range. This was done on a mustang dyno (my car did 208 whp/228 ft lbs stock there). He posted it in the Facebook group. 10 HP is pretty marginal since run to run can vary that much- so take that how you may. He did 3 runs with each and picked the highest of each setup. All 3 cts inlet runs were higher than any of the stock inlet runs despite being run while the car was still hot from the stock inlet runs.

Kei_Loper

Ready to race!
I have an Autotech intake and a VWR turbo inlet pipe in a box waiting to install. It should fit fine, I'll let you know for sure next week.
Awesome! I hugely appreciate that as I'm expecting my Autotech in the mail this week as well.
I do. Fits perfect!

AWESOME!!! Which one are you using, is that the CTS?

I'm not going to flash my car any time soon if ever (even selling my Eurodyne PowerTap flash cable), so all of my mods that add any power will be the old school way of hard mods lol. I don't want much at all because I really enjoy the stock power on the street (I've had tire shredders before, but always been a fan of efficient power over brute power). If I gain 10whp total, I'll feel pretty good about that, if not, I'll still feel good.

Wish I could install a DP without worry of something being damaged, that'd be a no brainer mod for me.

Kei

Last edited:

Mk7GTl

Go Kart Champion
I knew it helped. What looks bottlenecked is the stock inlet....

toledospeed

Go Kart Champion
At least we have some 3rd party data for a stage 2 car, good to see. Would love to see a stock dyno before and after and then we could extrapolate the curve for stage 1. All l have been saying is that putting this on a stock car is not going to yield the same benefit. An educated guess would be 2-3 HP stock, 4-5 HP stage 1, 8-10 HP stage 2, 11-13 HP stage 3.

As VWR astutely explains: "The higher your power level, the greater the benefit. That’s why the VWR High-Flow Turbo 90 is included in our Stage 3 upgrade – we simply can’t get to the power levels without it."

If stock, you will NOT gain 10 HP by adding this part. Gains will be negliable. Moving from 91 to 93 octane fuel will yield more HP. Seems promising for stage 2 and 3 cars though. The data so far shows this.

Last edited:

2slowvw

Car(s)
2022 Tesla Model 3

Kei

I have the Autotech intake with the CTS TIP. No problems with the fit.

wlfpck

Ready to race!
It's overall dia. Regardless of how big the TIP is they still all taper down to the same size

The stock, OEM TIP tapers down to a size that is smaller than the inlet of the turbocharger. This is the bottleneck.

The aftermarket ones are the same diameter as the inlet of the turbocharger through the entire turbo inlet pipe.

This restriction is enough to cause a slight pressure drop which eliminating would allow people to shift towards a higher efficiency operating zone on the compressor curve.

However, I do not believe anyone has the IS20 or IS38 compressor curve.