GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Turbo inlet pipe for stock intake

aar1217

Passed Driver's Ed
I recently installed the MST Performance Inlet Kit on my GTI and couldn't be happier with the quality. Everything fit great and got rid of that ugly accordion hose while giving a larger diameter inlet and pipe. I'm running it with the stock front airbox and an aFe Pro Dry S drop-in filter. Maybe a touch louder than the stock TIP, but very, very minimal. Same kit appears to fit the R according to BMP's application chart.

Just ordered one. Looks good. I'm also running the stock airbox with the afe pro dry s drop in...

Last edited:

Bake

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
I recently installed the MST Performance Inlet Kit on my GTI and couldn't be happier with the quality. Everything fit great and got rid of that ugly accordion hose while giving a larger diameter inlet and pipe. I'm running it with the stock front airbox and an aFe Pro Dry S drop-in filter. Maybe a touch louder than the stock TIP, but very, very minimal. Same kit appears to fit the R according to BMP's application chart.

https://www.bmptuning.com/products/mst-performance-3-high-flow-turbo-inlet-kit-mqb
https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/inde...venali312s-oem-gti.343666/page-6#post-7396763
I installed the MST setup on my R about a month ago. Install took 15 minutes and fit perfect. Still quiet (I also have two carseats in my R) and gave me exactly what I was looking for.
intake.jpg

intake 2.jpg

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
Did you have to remove the factory airbox to install the MST hose?

Nope. I detached the stock clamp at the rear of the airbox, removed the clamp at the turbo inlet pipe, and just pulled the accordion hose out.

This video has a lot of negative comments about removing the PCV hose and how it's a lot of added work, but I didn't want to destroy the connection on the hose. It was by far the hardest part on my install. Maybe you'll be a lucky one with the easier squeeze connection at the turbo inlet. Those of us with the constant-pressure fittings aren't so fortunate haha. Also, you don't need a friend to pull on it, I managed to get it on my own once it was removed from the car.

aar1217

Passed Driver's Ed
Just finished up the install. Not bad! A really nice looking piece. Detaching the PCV hose was a real PITA though...

I noticed my old inlet had a very tiny bit of oil in there. Did yours have that? From the reviews I've seen online, it appears this is common. I'm not that concerned as I don't plan to have the car for an extended period of time.

ChrisMk77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 GTI Performance
Just finished up the install. Not bad! A really nice looking piece. Detaching the PCV hose was a real PITA though...

I noticed my old inlet had a very tiny bit of oil in there. Did yours have that? From the reviews I've seen online, it appears this is common. I'm not that concerned as I don't plan to have the car for an extended period of time.
Normal its just vapor from the PCV with some carbon and oil residue.

Bake

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R

The small amount of oil, as mentioned above, is normal.

For the PCV removal I used pliers and leveraged them against the old TIP. Just wiggled the pliers' handle back and fourth and the thing popped off in under 30 seconds. Entire install start to finish was less than 15 minutes.

Are you noticing any differences in performance after having driven for a few days?

Coolrunning39

Go Kart Newbie
Got in my MST gear today with new plugs. My Golf R is still in the shop from the accident but it’ll have some presents when it comes back. Currently have the R600 intake with foam filter to attach it to.

I have owned the APR piece with an ECS tube a couple of times(Wifes GTI, previous S3) and this MST piece is massive in every which way. Makes sense why it has the highest flow rate out there.

Attachments

• 12D93BF7-A712-4B05-B52A-0405C3B41C11.jpeg
    12D93BF7-A712-4B05-B52A-0405C3B41C11.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 236

aar1217

Passed Driver's Ed
Are you noticing any differences in performance after having driven for a few days?

I think the advertised 8-10HP gain is about right. it is sort of crazy how much larger the inlet and pipe are compared to stock...

new R Fan 2018

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
MK7.5 R
I think the advertised 8-10HP gain is about right. it is sort of crazy how much larger the inlet and pipe are compared to stock...

Interesting about the HP gain form TIP, I didn't realize it made that much diff., but I wonder if those gains were from factory tune OR Uni tune?

I'm getting the Uni 1+ for mine today, and also having the Uni TIP installed. Can't wait to feel the power diff from stock!!

Coolrunning39

Go Kart Newbie

It is actually impressive how the difference is when allowing the turbo to breath more. The RS3/TTRS guys run a similar TIP from APR and it has an impressive result on the 2.5T motor too.

Bake

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Interesting about the HP gain form TIP, I didn't realize it made that much diff., but I wonder if those gains were from factory tune OR Uni tune?

I'm getting the Uni 1+ for mine today, and also having the Uni TIP installed. Can't wait to feel the power diff from stock!!
For me it was more about how much quicker the turbo spooled and how much throttle response there was. Car felt a lot more responsive afterwards.