GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Turbo inlet + hose noise

yungaxel3

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2019 GTI DSG
I removed the snow grate and replaced the drop in filter a while back and was happy with the small increase in intake noise. Over the weekend I added the 034 turbo inlet pipe and hose expecting even more sound, but got the opposite. Everything is more muted and the "blow off" sound is pretty much non-existent. Is this expected behavior or did I install something wrong?

yungaxel3

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2019 GTI DSG
You would want a "Turbo Delete" to get the sound you may be expecting to hear.
Hm, what do you think could explain why the "blow off" sound was louder before the turbo inlet pipe/hose install?

Hollywood0220

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
German/Japanese
They're about $100 or so. Just understand it is not a "Power" modifier - it will provide the noise that you are seeking. Just as the TIP isn't adding anything, unless you had a much larger turbo, because the Throttle Body doesn't care about an increased size of TIP/hose.

Desslok

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Rabbit
The silicone hose is probably absorbing more sound than the plastic OE hose. Get a cheap intake with a metal tube to hear more air noise.
If you want to actually hear your turbo, I recommend an upgraded engine mount.

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
OP,

outside of armchair speculations when I put on the TMD I was not able to hear ANY additional noise.

also from the armchair perspective TMD would not have effect on hearing the DV plumb back into the intake.

As desslok said if you want a more audible sound of the DV either get a open element intake or you could do a dv spacer.

my point of reference is based on having various setups back to back on this specific mk7 platform.

Stock intake with hi flow filter and snow grate removed , IE open intake V1, injen evolution closed intake, injen style Short ram open element (on the car now)

For DVs, I have ran the DV+, forge BOV, and now back to the stock DV as the tune don’t play nice with the other 2 options.

in short save the money on the TMD and get a dv spacer if you want the blow off sound since you already spend the money on a new filter.

Last edited:

yungaxel3

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2019 GTI DSG
Thanks y'all. I'll swap the silicone hose back to stock and see if that does anything. I think the dv spacer is a bit much

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Likely just the acoustics of the inlet/hose in transmitting the sound waves when the DV opens and releases the charge pressure to the cold-side of the turbo is all. The turbo muffler delete won't help a bit with that - it's on teh wrong side of the turbo...supposedly it gives you more general woosh noise is about it. I have one, I noticed zero. If you want loud intake/turbo noises, an open-element intake is really the best solution. You can get cheap blow-off noises from a DV spacer.