GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Turbo gone

CJmk7

Car(s)
Golf gti
Hi all,

Ok I've got a mk 7 GTi performance (standard/manual) Car ran fine til I got a stg 1 custom pro remap 3 weeks ago from a highly rated company near me.
Before 238hp 360nm after 305hp 470nm

2 weeks after map all fine then noticed a different noise when in turbo. Days later noise changed to a whistle and noticed loss of power and also getting misfires and rough when idle. Same day engine light and EPC light came on. No smoke from exhaust.

Took car straight to garage after this, was 3 fault codes p21f900 (too rich b1) p013600 (02 sensor b1 malfunction) and p130a00 (hide cylinder misfires cylinder 4)
So they get back to me and say the turbo has gone which I thought.

Any of you had this happen after a map on a gti?
The tuner said he's done hundreds of gtis before but did mention that they have a weakish turbo but all should be fine and will map within "safe limits"
I'm getting the turbo replaced and map took off, hence now i wish never got it done in the first place as pretty obvious off the remap. This is my first and definitely last remap for sure.

ShadyMF

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2020 GTI IS38 6MT
How many miles?

Its not terribly uncommon from my understanding that an IS20 or IS38 can fail when tuned to its limit.

Time for an IS38 :)

Hambone

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2020 TR GTI SE
Yeah MY 14-15 were known for bad turbos. Don't let it deter you from tuning again. So long as your engine is good and it was just the turbo, you've got lots of turbo choices to pick from now.

CJmk7

Car(s)
Golf gti
How many miles?

Its not terribly uncommon from my understanding that an IS20 or IS38 can fail when tuned to its limit.

Time for an IS38 :)
80k... and maybe i pay the extra get a hybrid fitted or I just leave it standard with another is20 and map taken off? Would have to pay for another map if got hybrid too 🤦

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG
Oof. Sitting here with a 2015 made in 2014 waiting for the day the turbo whistle begins... Sorry brother.

How much is the turbo replacement costing you? As long as you have one of the newer revisions, it will be a very reliable turbo and you can tune it again.

PerceivedShift

Autocross Champion
I see used IS20s on here for $300 pretty often it seems. 14-15 model years had turbo problems unfortunately so avoid them, the tune probably just killed the already bad turbo.

CJmk7

Car(s)
Golf gti
Thx for the replys guys.
Luckily for me the car is just inside warranty... They are going to get turbo reconditioned or I have the option to pay the difference for a new hybrid one?
But then I'd have to pay for a new map.

So I either get it reconditioned and leave it to stock or pay the 30 pound get the same map back on after... Or pay the extra for hybrid turbo and another 300 for new map as old map won't go with different turbo.

I asked tuner if get the reconditioned option if can lower the power and torque to somewhere in between stock and the map I got put on. He said he could lower it but reckons wouldn't make any difference in preventing the same thing from happening but surely it will as be less stress on the turbo etc

PerceivedShift

Autocross Champion
It doesn't sound like you are very risk averse, because of that I can't imagine you want to go for power levels a hybrid turbo will enable. (380whp+) You also may be running the stock clutch which probably won't last very long under your current tune since its is likely the origonal clutch. If you want good reliable power this platform can provide it, there are plenty of people like myself who run the IS20 to its limits for tens of thousands of miles without issues. If you are simply looking for an OEM+ tune install an IS20, retune with less torque and call it a day.

Ask yourself what your goal is with your car and plan accordingly.

CJmk7

Car(s)
Golf gti
It doesn't sound like you are very risk averse, because of that I can't imagine you want to go for power levels a hybrid turbo will enable. (380whp+) You also may be running the stock clutch which probably won't last very long under your current tune since its is likely the origonal clutch. If you want good reliable power this platform can provide it, there are plenty of people like myself who run the IS20 to its limits for tens of thousands of miles without issues. If you are simply looking for an OEM+ tune install an IS20, retune with less torque and call it a day.

Ask yourself what your goal is with your car and plan accordingly.

I wasn't planning on any further tuning just a stg 1 remap. I don't think it will have original clutch at 80k? But then again it has full history and no mention of a clutch change.
Has your car got a stg 1 with is20, if so what is it putting out be curious to know

Striker23

Go Kart Newbie
I wasn't planning on any further tuning just a stg 1 remap. I don't think it will have original clutch at 80k? But then again it has full history and no mention of a clutch change.
Has your car got a stg 1 with is20, if so what is it putting out be curious to know
I’ve been stage 2 tuned For almost 40k miles with zero issues. Turbos on stock cars can fail. It’s the luck of the draw sometimes. Lots of tuned GTI s out there doing fine so don’t let this setback deter you from tuning. Throw a new is20 in there if you’re not looking for more than stage 1 and get it tuned. I’d recommend EQT tuning.

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI
Hi all,

Ok I've got a mk 7 GTi performance (standard/manual) Car ran fine til I got a stg 1 custom pro remap 3 weeks ago from a highly rated company near me.
Before 238hp 360nm after 305hp 470nm

2 weeks after map all fine then noticed a different noise when in turbo. Days later noise changed to a whistle and noticed loss of power and also getting misfires and rough when idle. Same day engine light and EPC light came on. No smoke from exhaust.

Took car straight to garage after this, was 3 fault codes p21f900 (too rich b1) p013600 (02 sensor b1 malfunction) and p130a00 (hide cylinder misfires cylinder 4)
So they get back to me and say the turbo has gone which I thought.

Any of you had this happen after a map on a gti?
The tuner said he's done hundreds of gtis before but did mention that they have a weakish turbo but all should be fine and will map within "safe limits"
I'm getting the turbo replaced and map took off, hence now i wish never got it done in the first place as pretty obvious off the remap. This is my first and definitely last remap for sure.

sorru man, there is a saying in the modding world, “pay to play.” You increased the power of your car 20, 30% with just software. Your turbo was already on its way out, but would’ve last a few more thousand miles stock. Really the remap just brought a pre-existing issue to the surface. The reality is your new turbo almost certainly will not blow, the chances of that are like 1 in a thousand. I would say you should keep the tune but up to you.

PerceivedShift

Autocross Champion
Most clutches can go 80k without being replaced, so it is most likely original. Now, if you do decide you want a more reliable clutch with more than stock power when the time comes to replace it you can drop in a TTRS kit from FCP euro. (lifetime warranty on all their parts though they are US based) I roasted my old clutch at around 280whp/350wtq, the stock clutch doesn't handle much more than 300 foot pounds. One could baby the clutch once tuned, but what is the fun in that? 😅

My car makes 325whp/390-400wtq on my stock IS20.

Beyond Stage 1 power at minimum you are looking at a better clutch, intercooler, downpipe, and tune. <-In that order