GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Turbo flutter

The amateur

Car(s)
mk7 gti
how do I go about getting turbo flutter weather its a certain bov ( vent to or recurc ) i want to go about getting it in the way where in not just unplugging anything any help plz and thanks rn I have a ts full recurculating plumback with adapter and vaccum hose and it gives a litter flutter but I'm looking for more

tigeo

Autocross Champion
You can run a BOV that allows adjustment of the vent/recirc - GFB makes one. You basically block the vent off then set it to vent which forces the charge back through the turbo when you let off the throttle giving the "stu stu stu" noise.

How to adjust your dose! [GO FAST BRETT] - YouTube

FB-GTI

Ready to race!
Car(s)
VW GTI -> Golf R
Turbosmart or Forge BOV keep the electronic control and vent to atmosphere.

AceHammer

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2015 A3
Ran the forge for a bit and it just made a big ass woosh not any flutter, all other dump valves will do the same. It did throw my STFT off which is why I ditched it though. Flutter also isn't the best for a turbo as it does put a bit of extra stress on the bearings. The flutter is a turbo going into surge which is bad. Ideally, you should have no flutter from the DV just a woosh if it's a full vent.

Now if you wanna hear flutter you can fully disconnect the DV. DISCLAIMER - I don't take responsibility if something breaks, it will also throw a code, for turbocharger bypass circuit.

Now I did this on my old IS20 for a few weeks before I swapped it out, cause why not. With no DV it sounded like a big turbo supra with the chu chu sounds.
Did this put extra stress on my IS20 yea, did it affect its life it's hard to say.

This is a good read on what exactly the flutter sound it
https://themotorhood.com/themotorhood/2016/3/14/p6rwfjc50rjfsr2vtqkk3njyfv84bn

Also, the forge valve is not electronically controlled but vacuum operated, and tbh you really should just stick with stock on this platform.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
I think there are some folks here that don't know the diference between flutter and the DV dumping.

FB-GTI

Ready to race!
Car(s)
VW GTI -> Golf R
Ran the forge for a bit and it just made a big ass woosh not any flutter, all other dump valves will do the same. It did throw my STFT off which is why I ditched it though. Flutter also isn't the best for a turbo as it does put a bit of extra stress on the bearings. The flutter is a turbo going into surge which is bad. Ideally, you should have no flutter from the DV just a woosh if it's a full vent.

Now if you wanna hear flutter you can fully disconnect the DV. DISCLAIMER - I don't take responsibility if something breaks, it will also throw a code, for turbocharger bypass circuit.

Now I did this on my old IS20 for a few weeks before I swapped it out, cause why not. With no DV it sounded like a big turbo supra with the chu chu sounds.
Did this put extra stress on my IS20 yea, did it affect its life it's hard to say.

This is a good read on what exactly the flutter sound it
https://themotorhood.com/themotorhood/2016/3/14/p6rwfjc50rjfsr2vtqkk3njyfv84bn

Also, the forge valve is not electronically controlled but vacuum operated, and tbh you really should just stick with stock on this platform.
Whether the valve vents to the atmosphere or recirculates won't affect fuel trims, the airflow is measured after the throttle.

The Forge is electronically controlled, the piston is pneumatically actuated.
I think there are some folks here that don't know the diference between flutter and the DV dumping.
Yeah, my suggestion to use a BOV wouldn't force air back out through the compressor - it didn't occur to me that somebody would want to create an unstable condition in the turbo.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Whether the valve vents to the atmosphere or recirculates won't affect fuel trims, the airflow is measured after the throttle.

The Forge is electronically controlled, the piston is pneumatically actuated.

Yeah, my suggestion to use a BOV wouldn't force air back out through the compressor - it didn't occur to me that somebody would want to create an unstable condition in the turbo.
There is a lot of bad info out there on this - the video link in my first response is a good explanation. Off-throttle flutter/surge as charge air exits back through the compressor isn't quite the same in terms of detriment to the turbo as on-boost surge and there are plenty of tunes that cause a little surge once in a while...hard not too driving a v. small turbo hard like the tunes do. I've even heard folks say that this will cause your compressor to spin backwards...really just noise with some additional stress on the bearing is my take away.

AceHammer

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2015 A3
It doesn't throw them off a lot but I had issues with DSG upshifts and the forge valve causing random fuel trim spikes, a bunch of people have had similar issues, usually resulting in a rich spike.
There's an 8-page thread about it and the TLDR is that stick with stock, it is faster maintenance-free reliable, and causes less headaches.

Friends don’t let friends run aftermarket DV/BOV

FB-GTI

Ready to race!
Car(s)
VW GTI -> Golf R
It doesn't throw them off a lot but I had issues with DSG upshifts and the forge valve causing random fuel trim spikes, a bunch of people have had similar issues, usually resulting in a rich spike.
There's an 8-page thread about it and the TLDR is that stick with stock, it is faster maintenance-free reliable, and causes less headaches.
I don't see how the DSG shifting would lead to fuel trim anomalies, the throttle doesn't close when the DSG shifts. Neither the BOV nor DV would function since the throttle remains open.

Anyhow, with the mass flow of air being calculated after the throttle I don't understand what the BOV is doing that would cause the fuel trim to be off. The ECU will be calculating the air quantity and injecting the appropriate amount of fuel.

Seems coincidental unless I'm missing something.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I think the OP was wanting the psssh sound not actual turbo flutter. For that he should keep the OEM DV and just add a spacer. But he hasn't been back in the thread since he posted it.

anotero

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
There is a lot of bad info out there on this - the video link in my first response is a good explanation. Off-throttle flutter/surge as charge air exits back through the compressor isn't quite the same in terms of detriment to the turbo as on-boost surge and there are plenty of tunes that cause a little surge once in a while...hard not too driving a v. small turbo hard like the tunes do. I've even heard folks say that this will cause your compressor to spin backwards...really just noise with some additional stress on the bearing is my take away.
It won't spin backwards. The compressor will break before that happens.

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Turbo. Blue.
Turbo go fufufu?
Forum say nonono.