GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Turbo Blanket

m3lonbr3ad

Ready to race!
This is the video I watched and right then decided to install a turbo blanket when I did my IS38. They do in fact work and it's not a placebo affect, the engine does react quicker. Watch the video for scientific testing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FrFeaNGDnOk

I'd like try one, but my main concern is related to fire hazards... Perhaps my worry is misplaced, but since I pay for someone else to do oil changes, it is a little harder to trust that the turbo blanket will remain oil-free.

TwinDad

Autocross Newbie
Now weather it works or not, I can't believe you paid $150 for it and then $100 to have it installed. Doesn't it just slip on? Whats to install? Just saw the Forge one for sale for $55

Armchair Racer

Go Kart Champion
I don't believe the Forge blanket offers the same gains as the ECS one. Not all blankets are the same.

TwinDad

Autocross Newbie
I don't believe the Forge blanket offers the same gains as the ECS one. Not all blankets are the same.

Well I just watched the entire video and I'm not convinced at all. The hot side of the turbo was 225 degrees celsius hotter with the blanket. How will that be long term on the bearings. Everything else related to any performance difference was negligible. And what makes the ECS one better? Is it like their magic wheel spacers that cost twice as much as anyone else's ?

oddspyke

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI, 2018 ZL1
There's another thread somewhere that covers this topic pretty well. They actually help keep the bearings and compressor side cooler by shielding them. They also lower under hood temps and improve the efficiency of the turbo; but the bigger the turbo, the bigger the gains. That's why all industrial turbines are insulated. I doubt there would be a ton of improvement with an is12, but it would keep the engine bay cooler. IS38 might show some real gains. The only downside is cost and fire hazard. As for insulation labor - it is a bigger pain than you'd think with it installed, $100 send a little high, but not crazy.

Armchair Racer

Go Kart Champion
It's just like comparing a $150 Ralph Lauren blanket to a $55 blanket from Walmart. Which is going to keep you warmer?

Well I just watched the entire video and I'm not convinced at all. The hot side of the turbo was 225 degrees celsius hotter with the blanket. How will that be long term on the bearings. Everything else related to any performance difference was negligible. And what makes the ECS one better? Is it like their magic wheel spacers that cost twice as much as anyone else's ?

Elwood

3-7-77
Now weather it works or not, I can't believe you paid $150 for it and then $100 to have it installed. Doesn't it just slip on? Whats to install?

Yes and no. Watch the video on DAP. It's awkward. You need to get underneath and pull down one side of it. I don't know how you are supposed to get that spring on. I decided I'm too old for this crap and let someone who had done it before do it.

Armchair Racer

Go Kart Champion
Since I couldn't decide on which blanket to go with, I decided to buy both and stack them. Should offer even more cooling and greater performance than the one blanket.