GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Turbo Blanket

Elwood

3-7-77
I had a turbo blanket put on my car Tuesday. Very, very nice mod.

- I no longer blow hot air out the vents after the car has been parked for a bit. The blanket was worth it for this alone, IMHO.

- Less turbo lag. The turbo spools up quicker, but it's noticeable in a way you wouldn't expect. The automatic transmission shifts are much smoother now. I noticed it as soon as I drove away from the garage where I had the work done. You just don't notice it shifting unless you get on it.

The blanket was $150 (ECS) and installation was $100.

Armchair Racer

Go Kart Champion
Less turbo lag? Are you sure it's not a placebo effect?

demi9od

Drag Race Newbie
I thought is IS12 was basically lag less, but no hot air out of the vents sounds nice.

Armchair Racer

Go Kart Champion
I'm not. Glad you're happy with it and that your shifts are much smoother now. Since no aftermarket TCU tune for your car exists, perhaps you could sell the turbo blanket as one.

Yes. Second car I've done it to. Don't be so skeptical.

TwinDad

Autocross Newbie
It's definitely a placebo if you noticed it as soon as you pulled out of the garage that did it. The only thing it does is cuts down on under hood heat. It actually keep more heat in the turbo. Lots of guys have reviewed this. Not just with these little power levels, but guys with record setting cars. And the fact that you are trying to say the shifts improved because of it is definitely a placebo

Elwood

3-7-77
It's definitely a placebo if you noticed it as soon as you pulled out of the garage that did it. The only thing it does is cuts down on under hood heat. It actually keep more heat in the turbo. Lots of guys have reviewed this. Not just with these little power levels, but guys with record setting cars. And the fact that you are trying to say the shifts improved because of it is definitely a placebo

So there is no way it could have actually done something because I noticed it right away? That's a flawed analysis, but this is the internet.

odessa.filez

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GSW 1.8tsi auto
did they disconnect the battery to install? read somewhere disconnect resets some engine adapts. tried it, seemed to help (but that could be my placebo)

bottom line, before after data is better, or at least more persuasive :)

TwinDad

Autocross Newbie
So there is no way it could have actually done something because I noticed it right away? That's a flawed analysis, but this is the internet.

It's really just to cut down on engine bay heat. The hot side works better when hot, but at the same time, it's holding heat on the cool side. Of it would be noticeable, it would be after driving and hot lapping the car. Shouldn't make any difference driving right out or to the shifts. Some guy will ceramic coat the hot side for the same effect. It's leaving the cool side alone though. Same goes for heat wrapping the downpipe

2015WhiteGTI

Go Kart Champion
This is the video I watched and right then decided to install a turbo blanket when I did my IS38. They do in fact work and it's not a placebo affect, the engine does react quicker. Watch the video for scientific testing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FrFeaNGDnOk

Armchair Racer

Go Kart Champion
Amazing stuff. I stand corrected. I should buy one just for the 5 MPG increase alone!

2015WhiteGTI

Go Kart Champion
Is there any use for this on is20

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Watch the video and you'll have your answer.