GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Tuning options for California

CoryJo

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
mk7 gti autobahn pp
Can the MPI rail be removed and the drilled injector holes be blocked off to pass smog as well?
Why would you need to?

this is the thought process, if the system can be installed and not used through an OTS tune there is no issue, in my understanding it can be installed and turned on through the tune when it is time. the car doesnt know there is an additional rail or 4 other injectors unless told so. so an OTS smog legal tune wouldnt know to look nor throw any codes

CoryJo

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
mk7 gti autobahn pp
im not entirely sure that EVERY smog tech is trained to look for an additional fuel rail and secondary injectors. with a cover and a regular intake, im sure it fly under the radar

-DK-

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE
im not entirely sure that EVERY smog tech is trained to look for an additional fuel rail and secondary injectors. with a cover and a regular intake, im sure it fly under the radar
with my luck, the smog tech will look! ;)

CoryJo

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
mk7 gti autobahn pp
Can the MPI rail be removed and the drilled injector holes be blocked off to pass smog as well?
you could swap manifolds every 2 years, one is set up for MPI the other stock OEM equipped. that would prove to be most annoying and really a pain in the ass. MPI installs are not the hardest thing to do, but i wouldn't want to have to undo it for inspection. I really dont think these guys are trained to look for MPI as its not a common 'MOD' . more looking for intake systems and actual smog related devices (egr,pcv ect ect)

CoryJo

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
mk7 gti autobahn pp
with my luck, the smog tech will look! ;)
my town is 50k people, closest town is 1 hr away. bout 780k people, if i dont have good luck in the po'dunk cow town i am in, the homies in the ghetto get it done for sure. there are ways around everything. but you have to pay to play.

-DK-

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE
My thinking is drilling tapping installing the intake is the hard part. if i could unbolt, remove the rail and harness and then plug the MPI injector ports that would be really easy.

CoryJo

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
mk7 gti autobahn pp

-DK-

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE
yeah just would be way easier plugging the injector ports than swapping the whole intake. I bet would only take like 20 min tops to remove the MPI and plug.

CoryJo

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
mk7 gti autobahn pp
yeah just would be way easier plugging the injector ports than swapping the whole intake. I bet would only take like 20 min tops to remove the MPI and plug.
how do you explain the harness that is left unplugged? for inspection, make it seem like its not there? gotta unwire all the injector harness.. im still not convinced MPI will be an inspection issue. as its not being used. its there but you could leave it disconnected. the car will still run correctly.

miikez.

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'18 GSW 4mo 6MT
visual inspection. I'm pretty sure MPI is no bueno here.
They don't check for that in LA but if you want to go through all the extra work without even trying first then go for it. If you fail the smog test, you can go back. It's not like it's "fail once and you're out of luck forever". I had to go back to the smog shop 2 times to finally pass and the first time I went tuned and with my dp to see what would cause it to fail.

Ed @ EQT

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Car(s)
MK8 Golf R
Coming at this as a 1.8 owner, access port doesn't support my platform so to get tuning I have to drive to my nearest APR dealer (which coincidentally is you guys, shame that it's an hour+ drive each way). You're right insofar that for 2.0 owners it's much easier to flash at home, but for me its basically Unitronic and I'm not interested in switching given how deep I am into the APR ecosystem.

Went and edited my original post - you raise a good point and I'm certainly coming at this from an edge case scenario for most MQB tuners.
We are playing around with 1.8 a bit using Ecutek recently. That will be the ultimate flash at home option.

-- Ed

Ed @ EQT

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Car(s)
MK8 Golf R
I doubt they'd notice MPI unless you have some bright colored fuel hose or fuel rail. Stick with OEM looking stuff and you should be ok.

-- Ed