GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Tuning for heat management

Will_

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI S DSG
I am currently running JB4 Map 1 w/ downpipe. I am considering switching to EQT Stage 2 when their boost weather sale goes live. My car sees fairly frequent track time, so managing oil and coolant temps is more of a concern than raw power output, which brings me to the following question. The EQT tune will give me about 60 more HP than I currently have. More power = more heat. However, as I understand it, EQT's tunes also modify the ECU to run the cooling systems more aggressively than stock, and tend to run a little rich, which helps bring down oil temps. Is the increase in heat (due to more power) negated by the cooling functions the EQT tune provides? Or am I going to end up with a car that runs even hotter than it currently does? For those who have gone from JB4 to EQT, did you notice lower oil temps during hard driving?

Only other engine mods are FMIC, modified airbox and upgrade PCV plate.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Both EQT and Sneeky lower coolant and oil temps. I can only tell you that mine runs 10-15* cooler in Phoenix with hard street driving.

CoryJo

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
mk7 gti autobahn pp
it was 110+ here in the central valley for weeks on end it seemed *hot summer this year*, neither my pump gas 91 or my e85 map brought me any issues, granted i wasn't out flogging the shit out of the car, but I did drive it around and made pulls in 90* weather. back to back to back, car pulled timing due to high IAT but tuning a car isn't going to melt it. If driven hard enough, you can over heat the stock car on the OEM tune with enough abuse.

Handguns4heaRTs

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
i went jb4 to e48 stage 2 tune from another tuner. Frequent track-er as well. You're gonna run hotter, but if you go with an ethanol blend tune, you should run a bit colder. I'm in SoCal, and haven't really gotten too far north of 260*. FWIW, my car HATES that 260* oil temp mark for some reason. It'll frequently pop an EPC magically when it gets there.

j255c

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R Manual
Get an oil cooler if you track. That’s what I did. I’m also going EQT Stage 2 and running the 91 map with 93. Also an efficient Intercooler is extremely important in keeping IATs down

Will_

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI S DSG
Get an oil cooler if you track. That’s what I did. I’m also going EQT Stage 2 and running the 91 map with 93. Also an efficient Intercooler is extremely important in keeping IATs down
Which kit do you run? Oil cooler is on my list but I’m trying to hold off on it since there doesn’t seem to be any great options out there. Racingline kit could work but I’d have to relocate it or switch from a FMIC to stock location, so trying to avoid that

Handguns4heaRTs

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
I back off at 265, they get there after a couple hard laps. Anytime ambient temp is above 70-75F I usually can only do 4-5 laps before needing half a lap to cool down.
you're probably a better/faster driver than me, but that's in line with my observations on my current e48 stage 2 setup in similar ambient.

Will_

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI S DSG
you're probably a better/faster driver than me, but that's in line with my observations on my current e48 stage 2 setup in similar ambient.
Good to know. Seems to be a common theme for everyone not running oil coolers, regardless of setup. Even when my car was stock power it would do the same thing.

DarkArrow

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'18 R
For those who have gone from JB4 to EQT, did you notice lower oil temps during hard driving?

I went from a JB4 basic map 1 to EQT Stage 2. EQT getting to operating temps daily driving takes a noticeably longer time to get to operating temps and car tends to run ~10 degrees cooler just cruising on the freeway. Track days, I try my best to stay in cooler temp days, so I haven't tracked much in high 80s or hotter temps. JB4 oil temps would be in the 260s, never hitting or passing 270, measured by the factory oil temp system. Factory brakes would fade out from the extra power before oil temps ever went past 270. With EQT tune, I've never passed 250 on track. My best lap around Laguna Seca is ~1:47.8, so I'd like to think I'm pushing the car fairly hard.

Couple things to note: Only cooling modification is the BMS intercooler (it sucks, but better than factory, planning to change it one day) and a modified airbox and dremeled out snorkel. When I flashed stage 2, I also had a thermal wrapped downpipe and turbo blanket installed along with a couple other modifications none of which were related to cooling.

Will_

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI S DSG
I went from a JB4 basic map 1 to EQT Stage 2. EQT getting to operating temps daily driving takes a noticeably longer time to get to operating temps and car tends to run ~10 degrees cooler just cruising on the freeway. Track days, I try my best to stay in cooler temp days, so I haven't tracked much in high 80s or hotter temps. JB4 oil temps would be in the 260s, never hitting or passing 270, measured by the factory oil temp system. Factory brakes would fade out from the extra power before oil temps ever went past 270. With EQT tune, I've never passed 250 on track. My best lap around Laguna Seca is ~1:47.8, so I'd like to think I'm pushing the car fairly hard.

Couple things to note: Only cooling modification is the BMS intercooler (it sucks, but better than factory, planning to change it one day) and a modified airbox and dremeled out snorkel. When I flashed stage 2, I also had a thermal wrapped downpipe and turbo blanket installed along with a couple other modifications none of which were related to cooling.
Sounds exactly like my modifications and what I’m looking for, thanks for the input.
Going to Laguna 11/27, will likely have EQT ST2 by that time and will report back on what my experience is.

Bernb6

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Autobahn
Just tagging on with an alternate setup for comparison and data purposes. With a stock engine setup except for a 034 Stage 1 tune, I hit 275+ oil temps on a 75 degree day at Sonoma.
I've since added a downpipe, 034 Stage 2 tune, and Racingline oil cooler. I'll be at Laguna Seca this Sunday - temps will be in the 60's but I'll post my oil temps.
Bern

Will_

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI S DSG
Just tagging on with an alternate setup for comparison and data purposes. With a stock engine setup except for a 034 Stage 1 tune, I hit 275+ oil temps on a 75 degree day at Sonoma.
I've since added a downpipe, 034 Stage 2 tune, and Racingline oil cooler. I'll be at Laguna Seca this Sunday - temps will be in the 60's but I'll post my oil temps.
Bern
Interested to see how it goes, I’ll be there next Saturday 11/6 in similar conditions. Hope the Racingline cooler works well for you, I’ve heard good things about it.

Spade

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Golf Sportwagen
Following this. I'm on JB4 Map 2 on a 1.8T 6MT 4Mo GSW. Oil temps have hit mid 250s at autocross. I believe EQT now is tunable using ECUTek so Cobb AP isn't needed.

Hitting Road Atlanta for Time Trials for the first time with this car and debating just taking off JB4. My E46 M3 was hitting 260-270 oil temps there on a 85 degree day (stock, mostly original cooling).

I had the same JB4 on my 1.8T Gen3 Jetta. It would violently go into limp mode at PBIR (Moroso) and Sebring when it got hot.
Couldn't tell how hot since it was almost a base model car. But RPMs would hard cut at 4K. This happened with and w/o JB4 until I pulled a wheel speed sensor to fully defeat traction/stability control and ABS.