GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Tuned Golf 7R (Hot Climate Market Variant)

flugame12's

Car(s)
2015 Golf 7R
Hi, curious to know if anyone has done any tunes to their R in these "hot climate markets" (they come slightly detuned on the power front), and if they've faced any challenges after turning the engine up (the kind VW were afraid we might face that led them to detune? That kind). Thanks!

Aussie R

Ready to race!
Hi, I’ve had APR stage 1 and stage 2 HO tunes with stock IC in Australia tuned 5yrs and 65k km no issues with engine at all.

like many I’ve had water pump and haldex pump fail but both common issues nothing to do with tuning.

In Australia it’s very common for tuning of mk7 and 7.5R and no issues due to climate. I’m in Melbourne and don’t track car so stock IC fine but if I was in hotter states or tracked clearly upgrading IC would be wise when tuning.

flugame12's

Car(s)
2015 Golf 7R
Hi, I’ve had APR stage 1 and stage 2 HO tunes with stock IC in Australia tuned 5yrs and 65k km no issues with engine at all.

like many I’ve had water pump and haldex pump fail but both common issues nothing to do with tuning.

In Australia it’s very common for tuning of mk7 and 7.5R and no issues due to climate. I’m in Melbourne and don’t track car so stock IC fine but if I was in hotter states or tracked clearly upgrading IC would be wise when tuning.

Appreciate the quick response! And I'm realizing if you can run a stock intercooler in your climate (Nairobi is generally a lot cooler than Melbourne), then I probably shouldn't worry about it. I'm curious what informed VW's decision to detune though.

And totally unrelated, when did your water and Haldex pumps fail? I'm about to get a used mk7, just need to prepare for what might be in the horizon :)

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
Hi, curious to know if anyone has done any tunes to their R in these "hot climate markets" (they come slightly detuned on the power front), and if they've faced any challenges after turning the engine up (the kind VW were afraid we might face that led them to detune? That kind). Thanks!
VW sells R's in very hot areas in the US, like Nevada and Arizona. Many owners tune them. What year is your R and what is the advertised PS? I see 280 and 310 for sale there. Why not get one with 310?

flugame12's

Car(s)
2015 Golf 7R
VW sells R's in very hot areas in the US, like Nevada and Arizona. Many owners tune them. What year is your R and what is the advertised PS? I see 280 and 310 for sale there. Why not get one with 310?

I got a good deal on a used 7 (MY 2016), rated 280, completely stock. The 310 is sadly not an option right now.

dosjockey

Go Kart Champion
Appreciate the quick response! And I'm realizing if you can run a stock intercooler in your climate (Nairobi is generally a lot cooler than Melbourne), then I probably shouldn't worry about it. I'm curious what informed VW's decision to detune though.

And totally unrelated, when did your water and Haldex pumps fail? I'm about to get a used mk7, just need to prepare for what might be in the horizon :)

Never seen a GTI out there. Do they hold up fairly well over time on those pock-marked roads leaving the city and through that big sisal estate?

Been curious about that since I bought it.

aar1217

Passed Driver's Ed
I don't miss living in metro Phoenix, where the overnight LOW in my garage during the summer would hover right at about 100f. At least the car was never cold when started in the morning!

As a Phoenix resident, I mostly agree (Although my garage typically gets to about 90 in the summer as the low). My next house will definitely have an AC system for the garage!

Former Z4M Coupe owner here too...

KevinC

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R, '21 M2c
My water temp gauge would already be above the cold mark immediately upon startup. Yeeesh.

I sold my original Z4MC in 2015 (bought it new in 2007) and regretted it immediately. Bought another in 2018 after moving down here to Cochise county. Never letting it go.

Aussie R

Ready to race!
Both my haldex and water pump went around the same mark. Car was 3 1/2 years old and around 40k km. When I had haldex pump looked at the filter was blocked which seems to be one cause of the issue. I was bit surprised as I had it serviced by independent mechanic about 5k km before so assumed they would have cleaned it.
I think with good preventative maintenance haldex unlikely to fail but nothing can be done about water pumps just way they’re made. In many cases VW will replace under good will from what I’ve heard, I didn’t bother pushing issue. I knew it was out of warranty, car tuned 3 years and never serviced by VW so couldn’t be bothered fighting with them to repair. Was about $1500 repair. The haldex pump repair was around $1000. As they say pay to play.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
My water temp gauge would already be above the cold mark immediately upon startup. Yeeesh.

I sold my original Z4MC in 2015 (bought it new in 2007) and regretted it immediately. Bought another in 2018 after moving down here to Cochise county. Never letting it go.

Plus if your water heater was in the garage like most of them in Phoenix you never needed to turn the hot water on to take a shower in the summer.

flugame12's

Car(s)
2015 Golf 7R
Buy an simple used adjustable piggyback like a JB1, and try it. If the heat bothers it in the summer you can adjust it down a pound or two.

I'll definitely consider this along with the Unitronic Stage 1 + TCU tune. I'll do some research then maybe share that here for anyone that might be interested.

flugame12's

Car(s)
2015 Golf 7R
Both my haldex and water pump went around the same mark. Car was 3 1/2 years old and around 40k km. When I had haldex pump looked at the filter was blocked which seems to be one cause of the issue. I was bit surprised as I had it serviced by independent mechanic about 5k km before so assumed they would have cleaned it.
I think with good preventative maintenance haldex unlikely to fail but nothing can be done about water pumps just way they’re made. In many cases VW will replace under good will from what I’ve heard, I didn’t bother pushing issue. I knew it was out of warranty, car tuned 3 years and never serviced by VW so couldn’t be bothered fighting with them to repair. Was about $1500 repair. The haldex pump repair was around $1000. As they say pay to play.

Well at least one of them can be prevented or at least delayed. I'll keep my eyes peeled for the Haldex service then brace for the water pump which seemingly will inevitably fail. Pay to play :) Thanks!

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
As a Phoenix resident, I mostly agree (Although my garage typically gets to about 90 in the summer as the low). My next house will definitely have an AC system for the garage!

Former Z4M Coupe owner here too...
You can get one of those portable A/C units fairly cheap. If you have glass "windows" in your garage door, replace one with plexiglass and cut a hole in it for the exhaust hose. You can cut out a larger circle from another piece and use it as a cover in the winter. It should easily cool a one-car garage if your car is cold. If you tap into central air ductwork you might need a return vent. Plus you will need screens on both to keep critters out of your ductwork. I have a relative who lives in a desert area with no ductwork in his garage, and he still regularly finds scorpions in his house. They can get in through the roof vents in the roof for the bathroom exhaust fans. I had to have screens cemented to mine because wasps and other insects were getting in.