GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Tuned Golf 7R (Hot Climate Market Variant)

flugame12's

Car(s)
2015 Golf 7R
I'll definitely consider this along with the Unitronic Stage 1 + TCU tune. I'll do some research then maybe share that here for anyone that might be interested.

This is actually a way for me to also document what i find so i can come back to it every now and then. So please feel free to poke holes at whatever I find :)
After some digging, a huge advantage the Burger Tuning JB1 (most common Piggyback/Tune box I found) has over ECU tunes is that it can be bolted on, manufacture smiles for a while, then taken off the car without leaving a trace of any mod having been done (this is seemingly debatable, but I will leave that to the experts :) ) This might be useful if your R is a lease or still under warranty. Down side is that the power gains from this will be lower than what you'd get with an ECU tune, all other factors held constant.
Cost wise, the JB1 is cheaper (~$370-400) than an ECU tune (thinking of Unitronic Stage 1+TCU Tune, $1,000+). I'll link to another thread that's got a lot more content on here.

https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/inde...apr-stage-1-tune-opinions-appreciated.339328/

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
No one asked if you have DSG or a manual. You should be OK with a DSG with a JB1, and not need a DSG tune for longevity. With a manual you'll probably need a heavier clutch.

You can get just as much power with the JB1 as a Stage 1 tune. With a DSG your 0-60 should be about 3.7 seconds at 5 or 7 PSI over with either tune, I can't remember which. That's about what a 2019 Corvette does it in. If you want to minimize your risk to your drivetrain warranty don't go crazy with the PSI.

As for piggybacks being not detectable, they aren't but your long term fuel trim will probably read high if your engine throws a rod or seizes, because you need a couple of minutes running completely stock for the reading to return to stock.