GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

'Tuned' ECU not ready even after several drive cycles: Do I have to flash back to stock tune to 'ready' the ECU ?

Joel76

Car(s)
Mk6 GTI, MK7 GTI
I have a Unitronic stage 1+ flash and after driving over 100 miles and several 8 step drive cycle attempts, my ECU is still 'not ready'. Is it normal to have to flash back to stock tune to allow the ECU to go to ready state?

Also, with a manual shift car, how are you supposed to complete step 8 of the drive cycle?

Step 8: Decelerate — Gradually coast down to 0 mph without applying the brakes. Also, on manual transmission vehicles, remain in high gear and do not press the clutch.

Slowing to zero mph in 6th gear means zero RPM and a stalled motor. The car starts bucking at 20 mph and that's pretty much as slow as it's going to go. Are these people crazy?

This is on a 2017 Mk7 6-speed manual. Thanks.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
When you say "ready" are you talking about for an emissions test? Do you have an aftermarket DP?

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I don't know how much time you have but drive it a couple of hundred miles and cycle the key on and off several times. I wouldn't worry about the procedures you posted. If it still doesn't show readiness I guess you'll have to flash back to stock for the emissions test.

Joel76

Car(s)
Mk6 GTI, MK7 GTI
I don't know how much time you have but drive it a couple of hundred miles and cycle the key on and off several times. I wouldn't worry about the procedures you posted. If it still doesn't show readiness I guess you'll have to flash back to stock for the emissions test.
Ok, thanks for the info. I'm going to flash back to stock just to get it to pass emissions... then I am good for two more years.

My plan is to go with a downpipe and stage two, so I'm now wondering if in two years for the next echeck I'll have to remove the down pipe and reflash to stock again? I don't think a stock flash will be happy with a down pipe.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
A stock tune will work with a DP but I doubt an aftermarket DP will pass so you'll need to remove it. There's a thread about 02 spacers and passing emissions with a spacer for the 02 sensor and some guys are passing emissions that way but it could take some experimenting with different 02 spacers. It also depends on the standards of your state's testing.

up4speed

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI
A stock tune will work with a DP but I doubt an aftermarket DP will pass so you'll need to remove it. There's a thread about 02 spacers and passing emissions with a spacer for the 02 sensor and some guys are passing emissions that way but it could take some experimenting with different 02 spacers. It also depends on the standards of your state's testing.
I have a Ultimate Racing 400 cell ceramic catted downpipe (also using a straight o2 spacer with medium sized orifice) and a JB4, and I was able to get the monitors ready for inspection on my car.

Nyulak

Ready to race!
I am APR Stage 2 with their catted DP (no spacer) and I passed E-Check in January. I don’t know if all of my ready codes were set, but it might be worthwhile to get your testing done and see if it passes with the tune.

SaucyMuffin

Go Kart Newbie
Joel,

Flash back to stock and drive around a while while turning on AC, heat, decelerate, accelerate, stop hard, etc. I’m in MA and I had Unitronic before and it’ll fail OBD readiness instantly. Just an FYI.

TrueGTI

Go Kart Newbie
Joel,

Flash back to stock and drive around a while while turning on AC, heat, decelerate, accelerate, stop hard, etc. I’m in MA and I had Unitronic before and it’ll fail OBD readiness instantly. Just an FYI.
If you guys are anything like CT where I am at. All they do is plug it in and if it doesn't show readiness you fail no matter what. I'm dealing with that BS now with my B5 Passat. Oh and I haven't driven my GTI in 7 months because I haven't taken off the DP yet lol

SaucyMuffin

Go Kart Newbie
If you guys are anything like CT where I am at. All they do is plug it in and if it doesn't show readiness you fail no matter what. I'm dealing with that BS now with my B5 Passat. Oh and I haven't driven my GTI in 7 months because I haven't taken off the DP yet lol
Precisely, they hook up for OBD readiness and it won’t even allow the test, fails instantly. I learned this the hard way. My wife then took the car unexpectedly when EQT tuned, and no issues, so take that as you will.

Joel76

Car(s)
Mk6 GTI, MK7 GTI
Someone posted in a different thread that a Uni tune won't show ready.
So here is the weird thing. I have a Mk6 that has the Uni stage 1+ on it and it went through emissions just fine. I changed the battery on my Mk7 which is what screwed me up. I thought it would reset in 100 miles but it didn't. I did flash back to stock and it did set, thanks Saucy!

I got my 2 years emissions cert and today I'm going to stage 2! :) Thanks everyone for the help and suggestions !!!